AVIC411.com

Cold mornings not working

Hello, this is my first post, I just got the AVIC-700BT for x-mas and updated it, its awesome, however the past 2 mornings have been around 40 degrees air temp, and the radio won't turn on, the lights around the knobs turn on, and then right back off and nothing from the screen. But once I get to where I'm going and its warm in the truck if I turn off my truck and back on the radio works like a charm. I have tried resetting it while driving but it just turns the knob lights on then back off. Is this unit really this sensitive? Any ideas what could be causing this?

Thanks for the help!

I'm wondering if the amount of air space and metal around the radio isn't making it seem colder then it is? I have an 08 F-150 and there is ALOT of empty space where the radio is, anyone else with a F-150 or similar vehicle notice this problem? I know the wiring is fine, because after a 5-10 min drive, shut off and turn on the truck the radio boots up right away, but it seems like just sitting all night in the cold does it. Last night it was 30's and with my truck sitting outside for a few hours it worked fine...not sure, I sent an e-mail to Pioneer about this as well to see if I should worry about taking the unit back in exchange for another.

I'm also having issues w/ my F90BT related to weather but it doesn't have to be as cold. Basically my screen flickers on cold startups below 70 degrees but once it warms up there aren't any problems. Hard for me to make a complaint or return it to the supplier when it only acts up because of temperature. I'm hoping there's nothing wrong with the unit, maybe just loose wiring from the installation.

I don't know that I would rule out wiring problems. Metal expands and contracts with heat so if a metal wire is barely making contact and it gets cold it would shrink slightly and move away from its source. Once it warms up it could move even closer to the source making greater contact than if it were just at room temp. Maybe I'm way off but at least that's how I'm rationalizing it.

I don't know that I would rule out wiring problems. Metal expands and contracts with heat so if a metal wire is barely making contact and it gets cold it would shrink slightly and move away from its source. Once it warms up it could move even closer to the source making greater contact than if it were just at room temp. Maybe I'm way off but at least that's how I'm rationalizing it.

I never thought about it that way, so my guess is that it must be either the yellow, red, or black wires, I ordered a backup camera, so I will re-check all the wiring again when I have it all apart putting that in. I know that it is getting power somewhere cause it does turn on, but if it isn't a good connection like you said it may not be enough for the unit to turn on all the way.

I live in the Ann Arbor area, and we have had a couple of days close to zero - no problems in booting up or operating.

In fairness, I do let the unit completely boot up (i.e., connect to my phone, etc. before using VR or whatever) and it seems just fine.

Hope it clears up on you!

Cheers,

Kev

Well I just spoke to Pioneer and the guy said that weather has not been an issue for the AVIC line and he also suggested the shrinking and expansion of the wires, so I think I'm just going to solder and heat shrink the harness so there is no possible way for that to be an issue and if it still does it take it back for another.

The only thing I can think of is that the yellow power wire would be the problem, since the red wire must be working ok for the unit to know the truck is on, or the ground is not very good. I will check these two wires first

I live in Alberta, Canada. We just recently went through a spell of -30 to -35C weather. My f700 worked fine throughtout this weather. Mine's installed in an '06 F150. I was surprized how well it worked really. I didn't have to wait for the truck to warm up either, it worked right from a cold start.

yeah def not supposed to be like that, my unit worked perfectly no issues at all even at 10 degrees outside, sitting out all night.

A lot of issues happen fi your wiring wasn't sodered, the insolation and tape tends to do funny things when they get really cold.

My wires are all soldered, I had issues the one time I didnt. Tying the wires together and taping htem just won't cut it..

I'm hoping that's all that's wrong with mine but I had everything professionally installed including a custom painted dash kit. I even saw that that the wires were soldered when it was being installed. Maybe they'll be able to tell me what the problem is when I go back for some touch up work on the dash. I really don't want to have to take it out and mail it back. I bought it "new" on ebay so I do have concerns about the unit itself being the problem. let me know how your's goes.

Well I got home today and pulled out the wiring and it all looks fine, I replaced a few of the connectors to see if that will fix it, but leaving either the power wire off or the red wire off, I couldn't get it to replicate what it has done the past two mornings, my dad brought up a good point, if there is a bad solder joint on the inside it will be affected quicker by the temp, and maybe that is separating and reconnecting, so if it does it again tomorrow morning, I'm going to take it back and swap it out.