AVIC411.com

question regarding day and night mode

I was wondering the same thing, Mine switches perfectly, but I don't know what makes it switch. Must be the clock. Hopefully somebody knows.

Chapter 25 of the manual, Customizing preferences, Map Settings, Night Mode, it has manual and automatic modes. I have no doubt it's like most units and uses a best guess clock setting.

Come on people.. you don't even have to print the manual, just read the PDF once.

Diane 8)

Chapter 25 of the manual, Customizing preferences, Map Settings, Night Mode, it has manual and automatic modes. I have no doubt it's like most units and uses a best guess clock setting.

Come on people.. you don't even have to print the manual, just read the PDF once.

Diane 8)

I don't think reading the manual would help this issue. Besides, that's what this place is for, helping people out.

If it is already set to automatic and it still doesn't switch to night mode.. it could be something with your clock settings? Maybe try turning auto clock update via GPS off. You don't really need that and it may even effect your boot time.

I was wondering the same thing, Mine switches perfectly, but I don't know what makes it switch. Must be the clock. Hopefully somebody knows.

Diane 8)

Diane,

nothing to do with the manual.... its switched to auto and still does not change at night.

I discovered the other day that the brightness settings are independent with the headlights set on or off. In other words, you can turn the headlights on, then adjust the brightness down to about "5". When you turn your headlights back off, the brightness will go back up to what it was before.

If your brightness is set to the same number with your headlights on and off, you won't see it dim when you switch your headlights on.

hope this helps

Here's one for you. I was on I10 last week. Approached a long tunnel we have. The 90BT went to night mode just as I approached. The headlights on the truck were 20 seconds or so behind the head unit. Wife commented that thing is really smart.

I of course sat there scratching my head wondering how the hell did that happen. Upon leaving the tunnel, the head unit switched to day and again the truck was behind it a few seconds.

Almost makes me think the map is tied to the illumination sensor. I was impressed to say the least but still wondering how it knew.

Diane,

nothing to do with the manual.... its switched to auto and still does not change at night.

I know folks keep saying "nothing in the manual could have anything to do with this" but while the OP said it was said to Automatic (and I was pointing to others that it needs to be automatic) if you go into the Map Settings > Map Color and set both day *and* night mode to the same "xxx color Profile" , you'd never see it change.

And to confirm what others have said, the illumination lead status does not affect the day/night mode either.

Sometimes a review of the options related to a feature will help folks, and it was a great suggestion about seeing if Home and time zone were set properly.

Diane

Here's one for you. I was on I10 last week. Approached a long tunnel we have. The 90BT went to night mode just as I approached. The headlights on the truck were 20 seconds or so behind the head unit. Wife commented that thing is really smart.

I of course sat there scratching my head wondering how the hell did that happen. Upon leaving the tunnel, the head unit switched to day and again the truck was behind it a few seconds.

Almost makes me think the map is tied to the illumination sensor. I was impressed to say the least but still wondering how it knew.

Actually this was a special tunnel mode of iGO, not a night mode (although they do look similar).

I've seen that effect too - night mode going in to that tunnel and back to day coming out. After a few times, I'm beginning to suspect that the GPS "knows" when you're in a tunnel...

Edit: LOL - wrote this before I saw BorisM's post.. 'splains it!