AVIC411.com

Just got my Z1 installed, but theres a little problem

It will improve the accuracy of the Z1, but only slightly. It also would be helpful when you are in an area with no satellite reception (tunnels, downtown areas surrounded by buildings, etc.) I had it connected on my last car, but was too lazy to connect it on this car and I didn't notice a difference until on a covered bridge.

[quote name="iheartxgatas"]i have a 2006 gti.

also, the z1 seems to be working fine without it. why do i really need it?[/quote]
[quote name="iheartxgatas"]they don't really wanna go back and have to dismantle everything again to hook up the wire. ugh..

but anyway, do you know where i can get this speed sensor generator?[/quote]

That's their problem. When they installed it they should have installed it correctly, meaning they should have found the VSS wire since all cars have one (or something similiar the Z1 can use). You paid for the proper installion and you didn't get it. Why should you have to buy something else thats unnecessary? Tell them the location of the VSS wire and insist that they hook it up.
The new VW and Audi's are all CAN-enabled. It's a higher level of ECU-->car interface.
I installed a OEM navi unit into my A3 and because it was CAN enabled, I didn't need to tap the speed sensor wire. I don't believe it even had one, to be honest.
What you do need to do is go to navplus.us (the Audi version) and read up there on what to do for aftermarket Nav units into MY06/07 VW or Audi's. There is an adapter or a CAN switch that will give your unit all the info it needs.