AVIC411.com

Suggestions for NON-LICENSE PLATE backup camera?

I have searched a bunch and it seems that most recommend the Boyo license plate backup camera but I want to have a more stealth install. From the factory the backup camera (which I do not have) in the Nissan Armada is integrated into the rear hatch handle.

I was looking at the Boyo VTK100. Any opinions on this model or any other that has a bezel?

Here is what a lot of Armada owners are doing:

img5386ut5.jpg

As long as you are willing to drill a hole on the back, there are plenty of flush-mount type rearview camera available on ebay. In general, try to get the one using CCD sensor instead of CMOS sensor, and get the 120 degree viewing angle.

I think the problem for flush-mount type is it didn't allow you to point the camera downward (where license plate model usually allowed). I like the camera pointed about 45 degree downward, so that I can easily judge the distance between my bumper and the car behind during parking.

As long as you are willing to drill a hole on the back, there are plenty of flush-mount type rearview camera available on ebay. In general, try to get the one using CCD sensor instead of CMOS sensor, and get the 120 degree viewing angle.

I think the problem for flush-mount type is it didn't allow you to point the camera downward (where license plate model usually allowed). I like the camera pointed about 45 degree downward, so that I can easily judge the distance between my bumper and the car behind during parking.

Thanks for the suggestion. I was worried about exactly that (not being able to point the camera down). I would like to have it so my hitch ball is in view as that will be the first thing that hits something behind me ;)

The poster who did this install said the installer was able to adjust the angle of the camera via some plastic mechinism but he did not know what model camera it was as it came part of the package with the navigation.

I will check out eBay, but in the mean time if you know of any sellers I shoud buy from I would appreciate any recommendations.

Thanks..

I just installed a Sanyo CCA-BC200. It is available on line at Walmart for 199.00 dollars. It is a slick very small camera that can be mounted anywhere. The coolest thing about this camera is that it comes with a digital module that displays three modes. normal, curvature reduced and overhead view. It has backing lines superimposed on the picture. It look and works great. Just installed it today in my Van. I have the F700, and I tied the power wire together with the backup light wire and it works in backup mode or rear view mode. Just google it and add walmart.

I just installed a Sanyo CCA-BC200. It is available on line at Walmart for 199.00 dollars. It is a slick very small camera that can be mounted anywhere. The coolest thing about this camera is that it comes with a digital module that displays three modes. normal, curvature reduced and overhead view. It has backing lines superimposed on the picture. It look and works great. Just installed it today in my Van. I have the F700, and I tied the power wire together with the backup light wire and it works in backup mode or rear view mode. Just google it and add walmart.

Reverse lines huh? Do you have any pictures of it in action? I really would like the lines but it seems about 2x the price of the other cameras available. My wife has a G35 which not only has the distance lines, but also another set of lines that turn as you turn the wheel so you know what direction you are going. After seeing that I wonder if just regular lines are worth the added expense?

Thanks..

What I did for my chevy was bought the factory tailgate bezel that had the tailgate camera mount (was only 30 bucks). I bought the BOYO VTK 350 (it was only 35 shipped off Ebay from hookedontronics) camera, mounted it where the OEM camera goes (luckily chevy ones aim at an angle and nto straight out) if you did not know what the OEM camera looks like (totally flush) you would not know this unit was not the factory camera. Looks VERY nice. will have it functioning this weekend. The cameras do have angled shim kits that can be added between the camera and the body to give you angle, only problem with this is it is no longer really flush mounted.

Brian

What I did for my chevy was bought the factory tailgate bezel that had the tailgate camera mount (was only 30 bucks). I bought the BOYO VTK 350 (it was only 35 shipped off Ebay from hookedontronics) camera, mounted it where the OEM camera goes (luckily chevy ones aim at an angle and nto straight out) if you did not know what the OEM camera looks like (totally flush) you would not know this unit was not the factory camera. Looks VERY nice. will have it functioning this weekend. The cameras do have angled shim kits that can be added between the camera and the body to give you angle, only problem with this is it is no longer really flush mounted.

Brian

The OEM handle with the camera integration is $138 ( :shock: ). But you make a lot of sense in the respect that a camera would not be flush mount if it were to be angled. Other Armada owners are putting them on the hitch but I really want an OEM look. I may have to consider the OEM handle but I am not sure if it is even painted.

I was thinking about getting one but I figured it wouldn't be useful since by the time the system boots up I am already out of my garage and going forward. I am in Texas so parallel parking isn't really an issue either.

What do you think? Better yet, does the reverse cam come on instantly even before the system totally boots up upon starting the car?

What if you fabricated a new panel where the OEM camera is installed that was angled down. The camera could be flush with it, and it would look factory if you textured and painted it to match.

That's a great idea but it would require working with fiber glass which is WAY beyond my ability :(