AVIC411.com

F-Series 3.0 update coming? Wondering what's in it...

• Replies 270
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Bug Fixes and software updates should be free of charge.

Maps updates should cost money.

They should be separate.

Bug fixes should be free BUT, any update that offers new features is worthy of a price tag.

If the bug fixes and new features are bound, it should be free.

If they are separate, I can justify charging for new features. I will not pay for functionality that was advertised and not delivered.

That does not make sense. Bug fixes allow the unit to do what it was advertised to do. I do not expect any new features to be added later when i buy a product, i just expect it to work.

Just contacted Pioneer headquarters in Belgium and they said that new Firmware for F-900BT (european model) will be released in june. They also said that there is a possibility that it will include new Navteq maps which replace TeleAtlas. So at least in Europe, I think we have to buy the firmware/maps package because the old version of firmware doesn't support Navteq maps (according to Pioneer).

Just contacted Pioneer headquarters in Belgium and they said that new Firmware for F-900BT (european model) will be released in june. They also said that there is a possibility that it will include new Navteq maps which replace TeleAtlas. So at least in Europe, I think we have to buy the firmware/maps package because the old version of firmware doesn't support Navteq maps (according to Pioneer).

And also for the F-700BT i hope :wink:

And also for the F-700BT i hope :wink:

Yes, they said that the update is for F-Series.

Well I donno whats going on, but I just got my unit back from pioneer and although it says its ver 2.0 the software boots up way faster, touch screen is way faster, it could just be my mind playing with me (i haven't had it in 3 weeks) but something is fishy here.

Brad :)

ya the info says 2.0 just like I said in the original post but now that im playing around with it the boot up only takes about 15-20 or so secs (as oppose to the 35+) but everything else is slow as sh|t. I even had my first boot up not working screen yesterday GEEER I spoke too soon

According to a Pioneer rep I spoke to last week, looks like the entire F-series is going to be replaced by a new, improved X-series in June. The new product line should be announced publicly within the next three weeks.

The F-series is but 1 jear old. :roll:

I hope that pioneer don't forget the firmware update for the "old" F-series :(

I doubt that there is an X-Series coming to replace the F-Series for several reasons:

a) The F-Series is a good platform, just the software is sucks

B) Pioneer would loose an estimated 90% of F-Series buyers as future customers for their whole product range

c) They are just lauching the F-910bt as an Volkswagen option

I'm expecting 2 packages:

1) Cost free firmware update with further bug fixes. Optional Tele Atlas Map update at a cost

2) "Upgrade" firmware update with new Navteq Maps, IGO 8.3 and further bug fixes at a quite significant cost.

If they negotiate clever with IGO and Navteq they should be able to fund their development costs.

Everything else is a no go

Jörg