AVIC411.com

Unlock HDD without spending $50?

I was wondering if anyone knows of a method or software that is less than $50 to unlock the HDD on the Z1?

I like some of the graphics others have put together for their startup screen. I'm having a hard time justifying spending $50 to have a different startup screen, that last for only 30 sec or so? Are there any other advantages?

Thanks
Right now there is no way I would try. I suppose it's possible to try yanking the drive out when the system is running, but I wouldn't do that on my $2K nav system.

Someone else tried this $50 utility and it works, I did it twice now and I know it works.

There are a lot of other things to "try" but there is a limit I would take with my Z1.

Right now the only thing you get out of your $50 is to get access to the whole hard drive worth of files and right now I know you can add backgrounds without the CD that you can switch between any time and change the boot up screen. There is talk about loading MP3's right to the hard drive but we can't do that right now and you won't ever be able to without unlocking the hard drive. But don't spend the $50 for that since we don't have that working yet.
Ducatiboy,
Just so I'm clear, to invest the $50, I would get this:

1. Ability to change the splash/boot up screen, and each time I wanted to change the bootup screen, I would need to take the HD out and change the file name of the bootup screen using a PC?

2. How many background files total can be stored to allow for changing at any time without the CD?

3. Relating to question 1 above, is it fairly safe to remove and re-install the Z1's hard drive multiple times for changing/adding bootup screen files and background files via a PC? Would you limit the number of time of removal/re-install on your $2K Z1?

TIA,
JSB
[quote name="jsb123"]Ducatiboy,
Just so I'm clear, to invest the $50, I would get this:

1. Ability to change the splash/boot up screen, and each time I wanted to change the bootup screen, I would need to take the HD out and change the file name of the bootup screen using a PC?[/quote]

Yes

[quote name="jsb123"]2. How many background files total can be stored to allow for changing at any time without the CD?[/quote]

I'm not sure of the exact number, but it's not 1000, it's more like 30. But I never counted the exact number, it might be 20 or 22 or something like that.

[quote name="jsb123"]3. Relating to question 1 above, is it fairly safe to remove and re-install the Z1's hard drive multiple times for changing/adding bootup screen files and background files via a PC? Would you limit the number of time of removal/re-install on your $2K Z1?

TIA,
JSB[/quote]

I suppose it's safe. There is a possibility that you can drop the drive on to the screen and scratch it or something. And there will be a insertion rating on that connector for how many time you can remove it and reinsert it without the connector failing but I don't know what that is. Without reading the specs on the actual connector they used, I would assume 100+ would be safe. I would guess that 1000+ would be safe. I would think that 10,000 would not be. But where the line is drawn, I don't know.
  • 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...
[quote name="apercele79"]im sorry i must've missed some posts as far as the 50 bucks is concerned

what actually costs 50 bucks? since i want to install the Z1 this weekend, i might as well get this UNLOCKING done as well...[/quote]

If you want to be able to remove the Z1 hard drive and put it into your desktop PC so you can mess with the stock files on the hard drive (only thing you can really do is change the boot image and add a few stock backgrounds).

Follow this:
[url=http://www.avic411.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=728]http://www.avic411.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=728[/url]

The AFF repair station program is $50 to unlock your drive without losing any data.

But the drive can be removed any time, the access panel is behind the screen and you see it when you hit eject.
  • 4 weeks later...
I was checking out that unlocking website and I noticed that they have different prices depending on the amount of "recoveries".

The cheapest one before the "$2400 unlimited" was 36 for $640 that comes out to $18 each.

Is there any way we can share the license?
[quote name="mikek"]I was checking out that unlocking website and I noticed that they have different prices depending on the amount of "recoveries".

The cheapest one before the "$2400 unlimited" was 36 for $640 that comes out to $18 each.

Is there any way we can share the license?[/quote]

You need a password and it's linked to an account. My guess that goes against their user license agreement, but I haven't read it.
  • 2 months later...
I have read a bunch of threads on this site about unlocking the hard drive on the Z1, and I know a lot of people have been looking for a way to do it for free. I'm not sure if this sounds a bit too simple, and I'm not sure if anyone has tried it, but since the Z1 unlocks the drive when you start it, what happens if you suddenly just disconnect the negative terminal to your car's battery? Will the Z1 have enough time/power to lock the drive? Basically, my suggestion is this:

1. Power up the Z1 and let it boot fully until you get to the NAV screen.
2. Press the eject button so you have access to your hard drive.
3. Disconnect the negative terminal to the car's battery.
4. Remove the already unlocked hard drive.

This way, you won't be doing a HOT SWAP like others have mentioned.

I know this sounds wayyyyy too simple, but has anyone tried it?
It doesn't take that much time or electricity to lock the drive. I know that with small capacitors they can park the hard drive heads after power is removed. It would not take much to trigger locking the drive on the last couple ms before power was lost.

But I don't think anyone has tried it.

Someone else tried the $50 program and we know it works and is safe. That was worth the $50 for me not to chance it with my $2000 nav system. If you would like to try that and let us know how it works out we would be interested.
I will give it a try perhaps sometimes this weekend. But just to clarify, if my hard drive was locked, I would not be able to access it (read it) from the PC, correct? Now if it was unlocked, I should be able to use the 2.5" ATA to USB adapter and connect it to the USB port of my PC and I should be able to read the files/partition in the drive using WinXP or Vista, right? And with just using the USB adapter, I can use the program Pulp Fiction mentioned to keep it unlock? Just want to make sure before I start messing around with it.