AVIC411.com

Daylight Savings GPS time

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ok, so my f90Bt is showing the wrong time as well. If I try to set auto correct off, and change the time, it wil lshowe the correct time for a few, then revert back. I'm guessing the satellite signal is overriding? Kinda of like a PC on the network getting its' time information from the network it's on. hopefully because it was the weekend, they did not change the time and they will today.

Brian

I've got the same issue! Anybody got a fix?

Yes.. change your timezone, then in a few weeks when it gets to what it thinks your regions DST changeover is, swap it back.

It has all the appearances of them not having the OS patched for the US's recent change in DST dates, this should have been a no brainer for Pioneer, but then this is also a US only issue, the rest of the world doesn't muck with DST "just because they can"

Thats is what I did...changed the time zone. Which is fine for now, just kind of silly that you have a clock/radio/nav that you can not change the time.

Just add it to the list of strange quirks that have to be worked out on this forums because of poor original product design.

Good thing they left these units open for change either by accident or on purpose.

I just noticed this today as well. I wonder if installing this patch from Microsoft in test mode will fix us up:

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyId=0D6FC192-3142-4473-B435-B514E4B360A5&displaylang=en

I agree this was short-sighted on Pioneer's part not to include a fix for this in their last update. The above update has been available from Microsoft since 2/15/2008.

This isn't a problem with WIN CE 5. I booted in safe mode, went to control panel and changed the time zone to GMT -6 and it set it to the correct time.

This could be a bug in the iGo software, they might not have accounted for it when they programmed the parser for the GPS timestamp.

In DATA.ZIP, config folder, timezone.ini file. There are instructions on when daylight/standard time starts ;) Down to millisecond, too...

so wtf do i need to change on this??

;name, bias, daylightbias,standardbias, daylight year, month, dayofweek, day, hour, minute, second, millisecond, standard year, month, dayofweek, day, hour, minute, second, millisecond

;See TIME_ZONE_INFORMATION for what's what

timezone = "GMT-5 Eastern US", 300, -60, 0, 0, 3, 0, 2, 2, 0, 0, 0, 0, 11, 0, 1, 2, 0, 0, 0

The format of that line should work like this. ( a lot of educated guessing involved here, no actual reference material )

timezone = "GMT-5 Eastern US", MINUTE_DIFF_FROM_GMT, MINUTE_DIFF_WHEN_DST, 0, 0, START_MONTH_OF_YEAR, 0, START_WEEK_OF_MONTH, START_DAY_OF_WEEK, 0, 0, 0, 0, END_MONTH_OF_YEAR, 0, END_WEEK_OF_MONTH, END_DAY_OF_WEEK, 0, 0, 0

I have no idea what the 0's would represent, perhaps specific to some crazy timezones, but this should fit all USA timezones.

In 2006, BEGIN as April 2 and END was October 29.

In 2007, March 11 and November 4.

In 2008, March 9 and November 2.

In 2009, March 8 and November 1. (This is why it didn't work. they didn't build in that each year is different than the last, most people don't realize that this new DST is NOT STATIC year to year!)

So, to fix this for 2009, you can change this timezone.ini file to read: (for Easter Standard Time, for instance)

timezone = "GMT-5 Eastern US", 300, -60, 0, 0, 3, 0, 2, 1, 0, 0, 0, 0, 11, 0, 1, 1, 0, 0, 0

I researched this while at work and haven't been out to my car to test yet, but that's the only way the CSV line/string format makes sense.

The old DST was not static in dates either - it was always the first Sunday in April to the Last Sunday in October. Now it is the Second Sunday in March to the First Sunday in November . . .

That's right, but it was that way for a long long long time.

This new change to DST was just a knee jerk reaction to an issue the US government thought they had, in reality it means nothing, other then a lot of headaches.

It's been proven in study after study that DST changes do not save any money, yet that was the impetus they used to shove this change through, it was a dumb move in 2005 when they approved it, a dumb move in 2007 when they implemented it, and 2 years later its' still dumb.

So, to fix this for 2009, you can change this timezone.ini file to read: (for Easter Standard Time, for instance)

timezone = "GMT-5 Eastern US", 300, -60, 0, 0, 3, 0, 2, 1, 0, 0, 0, 0, 11, 0, 1, 1, 0, 0, 0

I researched this while at work and haven't been out to my car to test yet, but that's the only way the CSV line/string format makes sense.

Tried this, didn't seem to work... :(

There was a known issue with iGo 8, as far as the timezones getting set incorrectly when the automatic timezone setting was selected. It was supposed to be fixed in the R1 patch Nav N Go released in August. Nav N Go also released R1 patch 2 in December, hopefully Pioneer includes this one in their 3.0 release (if it really is coming). Not sure if patch 2 also included timezone fixes.

XDA dev post on the topic

EDIT: Just checked my iPaq 310 (same iGo version, 2007.7 maps, same Titan CPU), it has the same issue with timezones. So Pioneer and other integrators probably used a common SDK with the same bug.