AVIC411.com

Voice Recogniton Problem

Can anyone help? 900bt I can not get the VR to except my voice commands, the only one that works is "change source to" I can not make calls via "Call Jim Etc." and it it will not go to the correct song that I ask it to, when I first plugged my phone in it updated the VR per the iPod, (I have the iPhone) also all of my contacts are loaded into the radio, and I can not get the caller ID to show the names when people call, it only shows the number. Othere then that its sweet!

Lets not assume we are all super techno folks! I do not have a working knowlegde of HACKs and the like. There has to be any easier fix then rewriting the software or loading software...Like I said mine was working earlier and just wanted to know if anyone had expeiranced this issue.

http://www.avic411.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=34&t=22601

Read Research Reply come on people..

I saw that other post -- I didn't see anything in there to indicate that it would fix bad VR characteristics. I only saw it as a tool to allow users to edit their phonebooks without having to d/l SQLite Personal Edition.

Will this actually fix broken VR? No matter what I say, my VR always goes to "AAA" or "Allison". I'm worried that Allison's b/f will start to worry about me calling her so much!

• 2 weeks later...

I'm subscribing to this thread - same exact problem here. I felt like an idiot trying to get this thing to work...

"Call Home"

"Calllll Hooooooome"

"CallHome"

"Caaaaaaaaaaaaall Hhhhhhhhhome"

"Caaaaaaaaaaaaall Hhhhooooooooooooooooooommmmmmmmmme"

Nothing.

(and yes, I have programmed the "Home" location's numbers - it doesn't work with any of the contacts)

Fix it! The mic isn't gonna get any closer to my face - it's at the top of my A-Pillar.

for everyone having VR problems with your iPod you have to make sure that you allow the AVIC to do a VR Catalogue of your iPod. this only needs to be done once for each time you upload or remove songs from your iPod.

go to SETTINGS then AV SETTINGS and make sure that VR catalogue mode is set to ON. In order for VR to work on your iPod it is a REQUIREMENT that you allow the AVIC to catalogue your iPod whenever you upload or remove songs from it. after you have turned VR Catalogue Mode to ON, go back to your iPod screen. It will tell you that it is updating the VR catalogue. Once it says "VR CATALOGING COMPLETE!" you can go and turn off VR Catalogue Mode until the next time you update your iPod.

this process only needs to be performed when you add or remove songs from your ipod. If your ipod remains unchanged for 2 months then you can leave VR Catalogue Mode OFF for two months until you decide to update it. At that point, follow the steps above and then turn VR Catalogue Mode OFF until the next time.

for the people who are having VR issues with their bluetooth - there are a few things that may affect this.

1) some phones transfer contacts as "SMITH BOB" instead of "BOB SMITH". the VR software will only recognize a name the way it is stored into the AVIC. Press the MENU button then click on the CONTACTS icon. however you see a name displayed there is exactly how you have to say it for the VR to work. if it says "SMITH BOB" and you are saying "call BOB SMITH" it will not work. needless to say, if you have no contacts listed you need to tranfer your phone book before the VR will work.

2)if you have verified step 1 and it is still not working you will want to check a few things in your phone's phonebook.

- you want to make sure you do not have duplicate listings its okay to have BOB SMITH CELL and BOB SMITH WORK but if you have 2 different listings for BOB SMITH you will need to change this.

- you want to make sure you do not have any thing in your contacts that is not a number or a letter. for example if you have a contact called "BOB & MARY SMITH" or "BOB/MARY SMITH" you will need to change it to "BOB AND MARY SMITH" or something like that

3) some phones are just not compatible with the VR commands. i do not know why but this is just the case with some phones. for example, i just got a new Samsung Glyde and everything works except the VR for calling a contact. VR for iPod works, i can say "DIAL 703-555-1234" and that works but it will not work if i say "CALL BOB SMITH". please see the following thread for specific phone compatibilty: http://www.avic411.com/forum/viewtopic. ... ilit=glyde

Thanx for the info, Newman. I've made sure I'm saying the contact name exactly as the AVIC stored it. ...but that doesn't apply for "Home" - which is a stored location on the AVIC...

My phone worked great with VR calling when I had nothing but a cheap bluetooth headset - but it doesn't work with the AVIC. I would press the button on my ear, say "call home" and it dialed. I'm using the LG enV (not the enV2).

And the way that the AVIC needs the phone book to be transferred gives me the impression that it's not even using the phone directly when dialing a contact - that's why they were all transferred. This is why I think that it's a problem with how the AVIC understands the text of the contacts.

Am I wrong in my assumptions here? Or does the AVIC still reference the phone when looking for contact names? And if so, why would it work with a crappy headset and not the AVIC?

the avic does not reference the phone when making a call. it uses the contacts stores in its memory. if you want to call home you will have to make a contact in your phone called "Home". the VR will not call "Home" if it is saved under your Home location. Its all about the phonebook.

the avic does not reference the phone when making a call. it uses the contacts stores in its memory. if you want to call home you will have to make a contact in your phone called "Home". the VR will not call "Home" if it is saved under your Home location. Its all about the phonebook.

I have "Home" in both places. I have all of my contacts exactly the same between the two. I'm saying them exactly how they appear on the AVIC. ...And I'm saying them exactly how I've always said them with my crappy headset.

I'm hoping that somebody else with an enV will chime in here and either confirm that it doesn't work with my phone or tell me that I'm an idiot and to stop barking into the mic...

I have done the VR update for the ipod sooo many times. I have tried saying "play album xxxx", "play artist xxxx", "play song xxxx", "play playlist xxxxx" It either does nothing and ignores me or says, "playing all artist". Most annoying feature of the darn AVIC is this so called voice recognition. It will recognize my "call Chad" but nothing on the ipod.

And once it does call, callers report that I sound like I am in a long tube and cannot hear me very well. I have tried moving the microphone, even holding it directly in front of my face but it doesn't seem to help.

i hope the next major update fixes these issues.

It would be nice if Pioneer AVIC could allow us to make a choice - use your existing cell phone voice recognition capability or using their Parrot software to make a phone calls. I do have another car with a "regular" Pioneer BT head unit which uses my Motorola phone voice recognition calls - this BT capable car stereo does not "download" your phone book or contacts, it is just making connection between your phone and head unit. . . .

May be one day somebody will make this hack. . .