AVIC411.com

Really Disappointed in the Z3

I guess its all my fault cause i didnt research enough on what the Z3 could actually do before i bought it......so i install it and find out you cant even save mp3's to the HDD and i have to sit there for 15-20 minutes for it to record a cd! WTF, that is really gay.

F*kcin digital rights management crap.

I just "upgraded" from a JVC that had DVD Mp3 capability.....the AVIC wont even read the discs.

I tried searching and didnt really find any conclusive information. I have some basic questions.

1) There is no way to save mp3's or any audio files to the HDD through a usb connection?

2) There is no way to save pic's to the HDD?

3) There is no way to save movies to the HDD?

4) Even unlocking the HDD doesnt allow saving of anything to the HDD?

From what i gather the answer is no, no, no and no. Which brings me to, WTF is the point of having a $1000 HDD that we cant f***kin use?

1. no

2. you can add background and splash screens to the hard drive, as well as photos for the phonebook

3. no

4. You can not save media, but you can update XM channel logos, backgrounds and splash screens, gracenote updates, maps updates, and firmware updates.

The hard drive benefit comes from faster navigation, faster POI lookup, larger POI databases, etc. DVD navigations are limited to 9.4gb of data, and is slower to access. The Z series provides 20gb for navaigation and POI data. That's twice as much as a DVD based system.

The Z is NOT a media powerhouse by any means, but it is a darn good stable navigation system with decent media performance.

Yeah....it seems great for navigation.

I just got the completely wrong system to suit me.

Basically I want more AV functionality and less nav.....

I bought a super nav system with AV added on when i shoulda bough a super AV system with nav added on....

im just stupid

You're not stupid, it just sounds like you pulled the "buy" trigger a little too fast.

I bought my Z3 for the nav mostly, and also because I liked being able to rip my CDs to the harddrive. It suits me fine. I think what you need is more of an AV hu with a standalone GPS. It would probably be cheaper to go that route too.

• 4 weeks later...

I bought my z2 a while ago and was sure it would be perfect for me. I was dissapointed, but it was the best choice at the time.

I loved the fact that it had HDD music storage, it had the screen is the best simply because there is so little trim around it (Cleaner look). Rearview camera rocks.

I think as far as hardware goes its amazing, its the software that sucks. The menu tree is horrible, the theme is mediocre (Should be customizable), the media player needs to be completely changed, albums are sorted by date recorded instead of alphabetically. Overall the ease of use is pretty low.

$1500 Im not switching now, but I would like to see pioneer come out with a revamp of the whole OS. I would even pay a couple hundred for it if they did, and it was decent...

• 2 weeks later...
I bought my z2 a while ago and was sure it would be perfect for me. I was dissapointed, but it was the best choice at the time.

I loved the fact that it had HDD music storage, it had the screen is the best simply because there is so little trim around it (Cleaner look). Rearview camera rocks.

I think as far as hardware goes its amazing, its the software that sucks. The menu tree is horrible, the theme is mediocre (Should be customizable), the media player needs to be completely changed, albums are sorted by date recorded instead of alphabetically. Overall the ease of use is pretty low.

$1500 Im not switching now, but I would like to see pioneer come out with a revamp of the whole OS. I would even pay a couple hundred for it if they did, and it was decent...

Gotta agree with emt3000gt.

I'm not really disappointed in the platform as much as the original poster is, it's made significant advances since the original versions of the N on which I based my buying decision, but the platform has so much more potential for the interface in general. The speed of the interface especially needs work when scrolling through lists of HDD or ipod items.

I think you can sort library albums but I haven't dug for the option yet.