AVIC411.com

z3 freezes after 10-15 mins of running?

hello i am new to avics and this forum but was hoping someone could give me some help? i bought a used z2 about six months ago ... it has a 60g updated to z3 hdd .... anyways it keeps freezing up on me about 10 mins after start driving and faster if pushing buttons or trying to use the navigation , if i reboot it while driving it will freeze during boot up and if i shut my truck off for a mins i can get another 15 mins out of it !!! the music still plays regardless of the av setting just no buttons will work besides volume and the screen doesnt refresh on next song? i was reading many of the other forums talking about something simular but never found a fix or answer to the problem.... besides a heat issue , pretty sure mine is not a heat issue beings its spring time in idaho and the temp has been around 50- 60 with cloud cover !!! any suggestions please help !!!

yes its a z2 hu with z3 version 3.000 upgrade ? im pretty sure its a diiferent problem than the one i keep reading about ....... mine will only freeze after having ran for a bit or when you start pushing buttons on the touch screen ... some hard buttons will still work like volume and eject but the rest are dead.... ? hard drive need cleaned ?

No i bought it from a guy in florida and he had already had it done when i bought it ? think he said he had his stereo guy do it or something, he owned a motorsports shop for drift cars or something like that ? sounded like he was pretty well educated anyways!! i have the old z2 hard drive somewhere (just moved cant find anything) so when i find that ill swap them and see if that fixes the problem, ? Oh and reimage ? Im not real smart with the whole computer tech lingo , i have installed countless systems and know my way around electronics pretty well but as far as actuall programing and software troublshooting im lost so if you could explain that would be appreciated... thanks for helping me !!!

Reimaging would mean to download the Z3 image from Torrent, and reinstall it on the drive. If you can find the orignal Z2 drive, that would be a great way to tell if it is the drive or the head unit.

The drive could possibly be failing as well. Let me know if you want to send the drive to me and I can check it out.

Ha well i read up on the sticky and some of it makes sense and some sounds way over my head !!! just a dumb electrician i guess!! i did a level 4 reset and everything was working great for like 20 minutes while i was reprogramming all my personal settings and then i went to the library and it froze right up :( anyways i found my other hdd ( left it at my old house ) and will probably get it swapped out tomorrow and see what happens .... if it works fine then maybe work a deal with ya on gettin a new hdd ? or fixin mine ? i see them on ebay but from reading you guys' forums sounds like it might be a bad idea ? thanks for the help and ill let you know how it goes tomorrow ...

So i put the old hdd in today and seems to be fine ... drove for about an hour and half with the nav on and pushing buttons to try and get it to freeze and seems to work just fine ... so i guess that means the hd needs some work!!! having trouble figuring out the difference in the z2 and z3 besides the obvious updated maps ... i guess what im trying to say is do you think i should worry about getting another z3 hdd or wait for another update ? i dont really use the library because all my music is bought through itunes and is on my ipod anyways ... ( really wish they would figure out a way to make it easier to search , the technology is there but someone at pioneer was hungover the day they did the ipod interface ) !! anyways do you think its worth waiting for another update before i buy another hd? and what should i do with my 60g hd, im sure its fine just needs reimaged like you said ?

I have a similar problem, mine froze up today for the first time. It’s a Z2 with a 60G Z3 update that was working great for about a month with no issues. Nav, phone works fine but almost everything else is froze. I can’t get to XM, FM, AM or Library. Also no volume control, I tried pulling the fuses no help, then tried the reset. All that did was turn it off and I can’t turn anything back on. I can’t even open the screen to pull the HD.

Is there any way to open the screen without power to the unit? I would like to swap my old HD in and see if that’s the problem…

Randy