AVIC411.com

Separating screen from main unit

Hi Ducatiboy, My name is Sung and am a relative new member to the avic forum.

I plan to purchase an AVIC Z1 soon. But plan to modify it a bit. I own an Acura 2005 TSX and the headunit is neither a single DIN or a double din. So as a result I am going to get a custom headunit made. Because there is no space behind the headunit for a Double DIN unit to fit. only the screen can be retrofitted on there but the drive is placed in the lower compartment tray so a extended wire is made custom.

[img]http://www.streeteffectz.com/wilsontsxinstall1/images/IMG_1897.jpg[/img]

The pic above is done with the AVIC D1 unit. They separated the screen from the unit, placed the drive unit in the lower cubby tray, and created a custom made wire from the screen to the unit.

Since you have some knowledge about the Z1, does the Z1 have any sensors on the screen? The avic D1 had no problems with this mod but I wanted to make sure I can safely separate the screen from the drive.

Thanks, you input is appreciated.
[quote name="jimmy303"]As far as I remember, the factory head unit is not double-din behind the front bezel, even though the controls make it appear so. I think the heater core and A/C ductwork get in the way, similar to the '03-up Accord. Again, holy crap.[/quote]

I'll second that/ Beautiful job. So pretty.