AVIC411.com

Does the D1/D2 talk?

Sorry for the questions however I need a dumb-downed version of this topic. I tried a few searches however nothing concise like I'm looking for.

Does the D1/D2 talk to me when driving? Does it tell me to turn left at Hillman Road?

I know the Z1 has text-to-speech (not sure what that is though).

Thanks a lot!
The D1/D2 wont give you text-to-speech like the Z1 does, but it does give you voice guidance. It will announce names of major highways/freeways/roadways, and exit numbers on those major roads.

Otherwise you will hear such guidance as:

"In seven-tenths of a mile turn left" (and in my experience, when you come right up before the turn it will say "Right turn ahead").

"Make a slight left onto the freeway entrance".

"Your destination is ahead on the right"

"You have arrived at your destination"

"Take the third exit of the roundabout"

I have a few major highways here in NYC, where it will actually tell me things such as:

"Make a slight right turn onto Exit S 1 East, onto I-495 East".

Also I have XM Navtraffic activated, and just this morning it helped me out of alot of traffic during the bad weather, telling me:

"In about 5 miles, there is slow traffic ahead" (and the screen would prompt me if I wanted to reroute or not).

My opinion, the Z1 is an amazing machine, but unless you are going to fully utilize all the features, it doesnt warrant paying all the extra money just for text-to-speech. The AVIC-D1/D2/N1/N2/N3 machines are all fantastic!
Pioneer makes the CD-VC1 Voice Control microphone, but it only lists the N1/N2/N3 as being compatible. I thought the D1/2 were also compatible, but i could be wrong. Maybe someone here knows more?

Here is the link:

[url=http://www.pioneerelectronics.com/pna/v3/pg/product/details/0,,2076_310069685_71015397,00.html]http://www.pioneerelectronics.com/pna/v ... 97,00.html[/url]
[quote name="Termist"]What pisses me off about my AVICS is that it doesn't reduce fractions. It's annoying as hell.

"In 4/8ths of a mile make a slight right turn." :roll:[/quote]

Mine has never said that. In fact the only one's I ever remember hearing are the following:
"In one mile..."
"In 7/10's of a mile"
"In 4/10's of a mile"
"In 1/10 of a mile"
4/8s??? Mine says half mile. When it gets down to tenths of a mile it doesn't reduce. Nobody is very good at estimating how much 2/5s of a mile is so it says 4/10.

[quote name="Termist"]What pisses me off about my AVICS is that it doesn't reduce fractions. It's annoying as hell.

"In 4/8ths of a mile make a slight right turn." :roll:[/quote]