AVIC411.com

MSN DIRECT Not connecting??? HELP

I searched around for any topics on the MSN subject but found none. If im worng i do apologize.

I just installed my F90BT today the thing is off the wall sick. I have never seen something more tech. adavanced. Anyway i did regester for MSN direct and purchased the 6 extra months. Its been over 2 hours now and i left the car running, tried everything and so far nothing. Maybe the rain has something to do with it? I live in NJ and zip code is 07751 which shows that it is pretty much covered so why no reception? All it says is inactive.

Thanks

363373995.jpg

I searched around for any topics on the MSN subject but found none. If im worng i do apologize.

I just installed my F90BT today the thing is off the wall sick. I have never seen something more tech. adavanced. Anyway i did regester for MSN direct and purchased the 6 extra months. Its been over 2 hours now and i left the car running, tried everything and so far nothing. Maybe the rain has something to do with it? I live in NJ and zip code is 07751 which shows that it is pretty much covered so why no reception? All it says is inactive.

Thanks

363373995.jpg

It has been covered, but anyway... Is it saying "Connecting to ЬЫТЭ all the time, and won't show you your unit ID? If so, hit the reset button and normally that clears it out...

MSN Direct sucks and is not worth the money for me. I just got off the phone and canceled my service. I live in Central NJ and rarely receive a signal. When I do the information is mostly useless. The weather will simply give the current conditions (i.e. raining) for a location 80 miles away (typically Atlantic City). I can get better weather sticking my head out the window.

The gas station price info is handy, when its working. I was in Manhattan a few weeks ago and had no signal. Either something is wrong with my system or their coverage just sucks.

Thanks for the response...As of right now it still hasnt connected and the ppl over the phone are trying to connect me but doesnt seem to be working. with the rain this week iv been a little sceptical on weather that sat's can reach my car so maybe thats the issue. seems like a cool feature so i wanna try it but like you said if its not worth the money screw it

Thanks for the response...As of right now it still hasnt connected and the ppl over the phone are trying to connect me but doesnt seem to be working. with the rain this week iv been a little sceptical on weather that sat's can reach my car so maybe thats the issue. seems like a cool feature so i wanna try it but like you said if its not worth the money screw it

It works over regular FM, not satellite. Speaking of which... does the built-in FM tuner work OK?

really so it uses basically radio stations to work. Mines works sometimes but the signal seems so crap. I live in toronto and the map shows my area to be fully dark green, yet the signal bar in msn hardly show it to be halfway. My radio works just fine I park the car underground and I still get stereo fm signal their. Latly though the status window just says connecting for the past two three days and I dont know why. It seems like a cool idea but if its soooo bugggy whats the point of paying for it.

really so it uses basically radio stations to work. Mines works sometimes but the signal seems so crap. I live in toronto and the map shows my area to be fully dark green, yet the signal bar in msn hardly show it to be halfway. My radio works just fine I park the car underground and I still get stereo fm signal their. Latly though the status window just says connecting for the past two three days and I dont know why. It seems like a cool idea but if its soooo bugggy whats the point of paying for it.

Yes, it works pretty much the same way as TMC -- broadcasting data on a side of a regular FM broadcast.

I would not pay too much attention to what the signal strength indicator is showing... As long as it actually gets data it should be OK.

In my experience, restarting the AVIC before it is fully initialized (either by starting the car and restarting it too soon or by going to testmode) tends to hose MSND receiver. Resetting the unit usually helps.

Also, there are two hidden buttons on the main MSN screen (I unmask them in my mod, but for stock they are just underneath data icons, one between two left ones, one between two right ones). If you manage to hit the left one, then the right one, it shows a more detailed diagnostic screen...

So the msn direct uses the FM portion of the avic ? so having a little longer antenna will help with service updates such as gas stations and movie show times ?

It might, if you have a very marginal reception. Really, data rate on MSND or TMC is pretty low, so it does not need a grandiose antenna setup...

• 1 month later...

Here is my own issue with MSN Direct and a F90BT.

First off, I also have a F500BT which gets a very strong MSN Direct signal, so I know my location is of no consequence. Second, my F90BT is also outfitted with an HD Radio Tuner, so the FM antenna is plugged directly into the HD tuner, which is then connected to the deck via the IP Bus cable.

Problem is that while I get perfect FM/AM/HD reception, I get absolutely no MSN Direct signal. Searching on here has pointed out that the MSN tuner uses the FM antenna for reception. Could the HD tuner be somehow interfering?

I've tried resetting the unit, resending activation from the MSN website, etc. I'm on 2.0 and everything else works fine...

Anyone know what I should try next?

EDIT: Nevermind, I need a splitter. The receiver needs the FM antenna as well for the MSN tuner. Doh.