AVIC411.com

Have to re-set after a while

[b]I have the sep 06 Z1 model so all had to be done was ground the two wires. Any ideas why I need to press the reset button after about 2 or 3 hours (guestimate!)
It is really no problem other than loosing all my radio station i have saved but just wondered if anyone else has this problem.
Thanks Billy[/b]
If I had to guess.... It sounds like the "secret connector 2" wire is not grounded correctly. If I had to guess.

When the Z1 is new, you can ground just the parking brake and it will work with just that. But as it learns the vehicle is moving while it calibrates the system it will start locking you out when you sense movement. When you ground the connector 2 wire it will tell the Z1 not to listen to the movement.

Once it locks you out, do you turn the car off and then on again... sit still and do something, when you start moving, almost immediately you get locked out?

I don't know but it might pop up a warning message about the parking brake... does that pop up?
Yep, if you have that warning pop up and when you just stop everything works but when you are moving it's locking you out....

The wire that you need to ground on connector 2 is not grounded.

Go here:
[url=http://www.sminntech.com/z1flash.html]http://www.sminntech.com/z1flash.html[/url] (and scroll down)

I don't know if you have the wire in the wrong place, or the wire is in the correct place but not pushed in all the way, or the wire is not grounded at all (possibly all 3). But it's something to do with the fact the wire on connector 2 that I show in that web site needs to be grounded and it isn't.

With what you describe, the parking brake wire is grounded... all you need to do is look at the connector 2 wire.
I also have the same problem. Bootup seems fine without any brake message. After 15-20 minutes of driving, improper brake connection message pops up and unit does not bypass anymore. After resetting the unit, it's good for about 10-20 minutes then the same happens. I think it may be the second wire also. I had trouble getting the cell mute wire out of connector so I cut it, stripped it and stuck it into the hole in connector 2. That may be the prob? Maybe the vibration from driving caused the wire to lose contact somehow? I just tried again to get the cell mute wire out and finally got the wire out of connector 1. I spliced the wire back and snapped it into the bottom right hole in connector 2. Hope it works now, but won't be able to test it out until tomorrow.
[quote name="chrismwl"]I also have the same problem. Bootup seems fine without any brake message. After 15-20 minutes of driving, improper brake connection message pops up and unit does not bypass anymore. After resetting the unit, it's good for about 10-20 minutes then the same happens. I think it may be the second wire also. I had trouble getting the cell mute wire out of connector so I cut it, stripped it and stuck it into the hole in connector 2. That may be the prob? Maybe the vibration from driving caused the wire to lose contact somehow? I just tried again to get the cell mute wire out and finally got the wire out of connector 1. I spliced the wire back and snapped it into the bottom right hole in connector 2. Hope it works now, but won't be able to test it out until tomorrow.[/quote]

Yes, if your Z1 was made in July 06 and newer then that was your problem. Let us know how your new fix works out.
[b]I think you guys where right ,I say think because I really have not had time for a long test. I took the unit out and looked at connector 2 but really could not tell if it was seated in there properly or not, I did take it out and reseated it back in there tight just in case.

What I think I did was ,I installed the Bluetooth and pulling the unit out I may have pulled that connector 2 wire out enough where it was not making contact.
I hope this was the problem will know with some more driving :D ...[/b]