AVIC411.com

AVIC-F90BT - Youtube Video (Faulty Touchscreen Advice?)

I'm going to consolidate all of my posts onto this thread.

First, here is the youtube video of me attempting to use my unit. I was extremely frusturated while making this, so if it's a lot of rambling and doesn't make sense, attribute it to that:

I bought the unit of amazon.com about a week and a half ago, 2.0 firmware upgrade. It appeared to be unused and unopened. Everything in original packaging. I bought all of the installation gear off of an assortment of sites, hondaautomive.com, scosche, etc. When I finally got the unit I did the wire harness bypass, adjusting the yellow mute wire from row one slot one to row two slot four. I then brought the car in for installation today and instructed the installer to ground the e-brake and the mute wire. He says he did both.

When I first picked up the car today, I noticed things were running a little slow, but I attributed that to everything I had heard about this just being a slow unit. I got home and started to tinker with things. My first problem was that my ipod wasn't being recognized. After a reboot, it was finally recognized. I then tried to switch songs and use the touchscreen to navigate my ipod. It was very slow and barely worked. I rebooted the unit once again and put in a DVD. Worked perfect. Screen was quick and very responsive. I then went into the maps and things were slow. Tried the IPod again, very slow. A few times I found myself hitting the menu key to get back to the homepage and re navigating myself from there.

The more I tried to use the unit the worse it got. Right now? Close to nothing. I click something and it doesn't do anything. Occasionally it'll accept my click and then take 20 seconds to do something. I held down the big button to get the voice commands going. That took another 10-15 seconds to pop up. The robotic voice was slow and choppy. I did a few soft resets, and also disconnected the battery of my car. I also called pioneer. They said 1 yr warranty, and to send it in. If they find out I did an ebrake bypass, it'll be $200 charge. If not, I'm good to go. Anyway for them to figure out that I actually did that as long as I didn't send them the wire harness?

At this point I'm just looking for any suggestions on a type of "reinstallation" or "reformat" of the unit in order to start from scratch and hopefully resolve this. If not, I'm sure the unit is bust and I'm gonna have to figure out how to remove it and then ship it in.

Any suggestions or advice with this situation would be greatly appreciated. Do I give up on it now and send it in, or is there anything I should try before packing it up and shipping to Pioneer.

Thanks.

P.S. This is what I want my unit to work like :D

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pUyydndB ... re=related

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Looks like a defective unit.

I wouldn't mess around with it and send it to pioneer for service. As long as you don't send in the wiring harness, no will know you bypassed it.

That seems like the most reasonable advice. Just wasn't sure if anyone experienced anything similar and decided to tinker with the unit and mighta come up with a fix with just a reinstall of the firmware or something.

I was at work and had my car off for about 4-5 hours. I decided to see how it was running when I turned it on after the long rest. It was great. The first few clicks were very effective. And as time went by, clicks became less and less effective, the unit reacted slower and slower until it pretty much stopped about 2-3 minutes in.

I decided to give Test Mode a go. No good. I booted up, it did it's copying, but I couldn't hit the x in the upper right hand corner to get out of the first screen.

I think my only other solution is to reinstall 2.0 onto the unit. Should I just send the unit back, or give this a shot first?

my screen was dead after a week in the car. pioneer replaced it under warranty.

See, that's the only thing. My screen isn't dead....but it seems like it's dying, haha. After resting for a while it gives me good juice for about a minute or two and then slowly becomes unresponsive.

Just watched your video and I must admit... I'm a little scared. You sound just like me: Bought off Amazon (from an authorized Pioneer Seller, factory sealed from Pioneer but it was a Refurb so only 90 day warranty), bought all of the wiring from various places, wired everything I felt like I was qualified to wire and am currently looking forward to dropping it all off at my custom shop on Saturday so I can spend the remainder of my Memorial Day Weekend enjoying my new F90bt.

I don't know what I'd do if my unit were to function (or malfunction) like this. I do know that I'd be pissed, for sure. Hopefully, a firmware re-install will correct your issues. Otherwise, I'd send it back to Pioneer A.S.A.P.

As another poster said earlier, just make sure you disconnect your harness and they will be none the wiser as far as your bypasses.

Good luck. I hope everything works out for you, one way or another.

I hope it wasn't a refurb. It said new and it sure as hell looked brand new. Every wire in it's on special compartment all sealed up with the proper clips holding the wires together and everything. Looked brand new to me.

The guy at Pioneer somehow made it seem like they'd be able to detect it if I had tried to wire bypass. He kept saying that the unit could "figure out" if you tried to bypass the e-brake and it would start to malfunction on purpose. His stats were "95% of the time, this problem is caused by a bypass. 5% of the time it's a faulty unit".

What a load of crap.

Anyway, before I do this uninstall tomorrow (geez, wish me luck), I still wanna know if anyone would advise me to try and reinstall the 2.0 firmware onto the system.

Thanks.

Yeah, that's not normal...I actually haven't seen one that bad before.

I would try reloading the 2.0 firmware, or send it to Pioneer.

The guy at Pioneer somehow made it seem like they'd be able to detect it if I had tried to wire bypass. He kept saying that the unit could "figure out" if you tried to bypass the e-brake and it would start to malfunction on purpose. His stats were "95% of the time, this problem is caused by a bypass. 5% of the time it's a faulty unit".

That' s absolute BS. There is no way they would know about the hardwire bypass, unless you sent your harness in with it...

That' s absolute BS. There is no way they would know about the hardwire bypass, unless you sent your harness in with it...

Yeah, I figured. Probably trying to just get me to not send it in so they don't have to deal with it.

I'm gonna give the 2.0 reinstall a go and see how it goes. I'll post results here.

If it doesn't work, off to Pioneer. I'm assuming I have to eat the shipping costs?

I'm gonna have to look into that a little more.

My system already has 2.0, so I guess the unit just ignores the available update on the SD card.

I'm gonna search, but maybe I can get an answer here before I find one. How do you get the system to reinstall 2.0 and overwrite what's already there?

i was ust thinking has anybody ever tried using a usb mouse with their 90bt or any other new avic? i would imagine it to work the same as using the touch screen..maybe give that a try as far as getting into safe mode?