AVIC411.com

700BT won't mount flush with dash in Focus

I have an 07 Focus and I just got the 700BT installed today. The installer couldn't get the unit flush with the Scosche kit. He tried for a good while before I had to leave. He said that there was a chance getting another brand's kit would make it go flush (he recommended a brand I can't remember right now) but said I'd have to order it. Has anyone else had an experience with this? Or suggestions?

We use Metra kits. Never had issues with this before. The F series units aren't enormous but they get big real quick if you have RCA cables plugged in. Is the issues that the kit makes it sit extended from the dash or is it that he couldn't press it in far enough? On a lot of cars, including Fords there is sometimes a steel tab in the back that supports the factory unit. Sometimes the factory unit is much shallower and we have to cut that tab off to get everything in. Just need more details as to if it is a vehicle issue or a dash kit issue.

We use Metra kits. Never had issues with this before. The F series units aren't enormous but they get big real quick if you have RCA cables plugged in. Is the issues that the kit makes it sit extended from the dash or is it that he couldn't press it in far enough? On a lot of cars, including Fords there is sometimes a steel tab in the back that supports the factory unit. Sometimes the factory unit is much shallower and we have to cut that tab off to get everything in. Just need more details as to if it is a vehicle issue or a dash kit issue.

I ordered the Metra kit. Once it comes in, I'm going to take it to the installer and we'll go from there. I'll suggest your idea about the piece of steel. I'll keep you posted. Would photos of how it looks now or anything help?

ive never had a problem with the metra kits, but is the problem with the dash kit, like the dash kit wont sit flush either, if it stickes out too far then i agree with the previous post that you may need to remove some "not needed stuff" that gets in the way, plastic, metal brackets, ect, an air saw is always your best friend. or is the dash kit not sticking out far enough, some of the ford dash kits have little spacers that need to be used for certian veicles to sit right.

OR

is the dash kit sitting fine but the radio is not, like the radio is sitting back too far, this was the problem with my LS, the F-series do not stick as far through as some other brands double dins do. in this case you may need to trim the back side of the dash kit out just a little bit (where the radio meets the kit)

or is the radio sticking out too far from the dash kit, then you may need to drill new mounting holes to get it to look right

ive never had a problem with the metra kits, but is the problem with the dash kit, like the dash kit wont sit flush either, if it stickes out too far then i agree with the previous post that you may need to remove some "not needed stuff" that gets in the way, plastic, metal brackets, ect, an air saw is always your best friend. or is the dash kit not sticking out far enough, some of the ford dash kits have little spacers that need to be used for certian veicles to sit right.

OR

is the dash kit sitting fine but the radio is not, like the radio is sitting back too far, this was the problem with my LS, the F-series do not stick as far through as some other brands double dins do. in this case you may need to trim the back side of the dash kit out just a little bit (where the radio meets the kit)

or is the radio sticking out too far from the dash kit, then you may need to drill new mounting holes to get it to look right

Here's some photos of how it looks now. Granted, it doesn't stick out a lot, but since I know it's now how it should be, I want it done correctly. I'm going to take it Saturday and they are going to try the Metra kit.

[attachment=0]IMG_0274.jpg[/attachment]

[attachment=1]IMG_0273.JPG[/attachment]

I have a ford explorer and I used the metra kit to install it myself. I probably had more room behind mine than the focus would.

the stock stereo is not perfectly flat, it is curved and the bezel around it is usually curved to match, but from your photos, it looks like the kit is not even making it all the way in. there are quite a few wires and cables, it is difficult to make room for all of them, but if you are just plugging a new harness into the factory wiring, you should be able to get it to fit.

how does it compare with the old radio as far as depth? if I remember correctly, they were the same on mine. it is probably a matter of carefully getting the wires as compact as possible so you have room for the stereo to slide back there. here is a look at mine:

3560392105_99a792a5ea.jpg?v=0

i have never had a focus stick out like that, it may just be the kit itself, as long as the screws that hold the radio in are all the way in, then it is not a problem with stuff behind the radio. let us know how the metra kit works out