AVIC411.com

OBDII/Dash/Car stats / possible programs?

Well, I can post what I've got so you an at least run it, even though you won't be able to use it with any of your hardware. It's more than just a file though, there's a bit to bundle up. I've got the day off tomorrow so I'll do that. If you all use Visual Studios then I can provide dummy GUIs of what I've got with no code so you can play with the design.

• Replies 128
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

well I checked the drivers included with my software and there is alot of ftdi stuff in there, seems like its compatible like you say... so now I just have to figure out how to tell the device to get me the info I want correct? and this is done through the companies API ??

Yup. An example would be that you create your own cable and use the same ftdi chip. The chip connects to your cable on one side and some electronics you design on the other. You decide to be funny and require the the software running on your laptop send the command "banana" as a string down the usb cable to the ftdi chip which would relay it on to your hardware. You're hardware is designed to recognize the banana command and respond with the engine coolant temperature it recorded from the obdii port.

As you can see, you need not only the driver to talk to the device's usb controller, you also need the expected commands and the format of the responses to those commands. Otherwise you're just guessing and sending random stuff seeing if you can get the device to respond. A published api states just that. If there isn't one then you have to do some low level debugging, like running your software and finding a way to intercept the commands. Then you can see what commands to send based on what button you clicked in your software. I hope we don't get to that point as it'd suck up so much of my time.

well I checked the drivers included with my software and there is alot of ftdi stuff in there, seems like its compatible like you say... so now I just have to figure out how to tell the device to get me the info I want correct? and this is done through the companies API ??

Well, I still work on the software, but I get the feeling its mostly for my own use unless someone else gets an api for another specific piece of hardware. I can post what I keep updating, but until you can use my software on something beside the Standback, not much of it will mean much.

I am considering getting an elm chip/cable from the usb to try this.

I understand if the answer is no, but would you be willing to loan out the source to me w/ the understanding that the source is the rights to you and any changes I make, you will own?

(much like some of the open source licenses that allow you to use, but have to submit edits back...)

Thanks,

Ben