AVIC411.com

OBDII/Dash/Car stats / possible programs?

Since our units use Windows CE as an underlining OS - I am wondering if anybody know of good Dash/Car health software that could be used.

The idea is to use a bluetooth (or a serial-->to-->usb converter) to connect the F900BT to the OBDII/MOST car port. Then have the Windows CE application to monitor the health of the car.

Anybody try anything like this. I would likely use leet to launch into the base OS/etc.

Know of any good programs to try - rather than trying to create my own. Most I've seen (centrafuge, etc) require xp embedded/etc)

thanks,

Ben

• Replies 128
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

haha - from the overwhelming responses - looks like a custom application is going to be needed.

I've talked to a few who have interacted w/ OBD modules by sending the hex protocol commands.

Please let me knoe if anybody knows of other options.

Thanks,

Ben

haha - from the overwhelming responses - looks like a custom application is going to be needed.

I've talked to a few who have interacted w/ OBD modules by sending the hex protocol commands.

Please let me knoe if anybody knows of other options.

Thanks,

Ben

Never looked for OBD II software, but quick googling shows some interesting pages:

http://www.obd-ii.de/prodsoft.html

http://www.autoenginuity.com

and some more...

The question would be if AVIC can be forced to use take anything other than a mass storage device on USB port. After that, if software runs on WinCE in 800*480 resolution, running it would be as easy as coding a button in a Navi screen to call it...

The only way i could see getting something like this to work is getting a carputer. basicly screen in dash small computer in the car and then you run the wire to the OBD 2 connector under the dash. pricing wise it comes out to around 1500 because most cars you need a extrnal amp to run everything.

The only way i could see getting something like this to work is getting a carputer. basicly screen in dash small computer in the car and then you run the wire to the OBD 2 connector under the dash. pricing wise it comes out to around 1500 because most cars you need a extrnal amp to run everything.

So you don't think we could setup a bluetooth connection between the OBDII reader and the avic unit - have the windows ce application interact through bluetooth and read the values - showing those values on the unit?

Or possibly a usb-->serial connection?

Not to say it's easy, but since the system is running windows ce - and we can access the operating system - I'm not sure why it wouldn't work. I would have to validate of course that the necessarily components are installed onto the OS since CE is very customized per the device it's installed on (turning on/off API/etc)

Thanks,

Ben

I am also looking for this solution but i am afraid that it could not be done because bluetooth is separeted from windows OS... If someone could make some software that will work with OBD2 I will pay him fore the job done. Also i think that i am not the only one how will give some money just to get it to work with OBD ;)

Wow. I was actually very serious about building something like this about 2 years ago as a product. I had a few presentations made up, 2 EE and one CS on board too. We were going to make a master CPU box with several features and satellite boxes that took in analog, digital or OBDII data. Then there was going to be an output box (video/audio) that talked to a navi/head unit. When I moved the idea kind of died out.

Interesting - would you be interested in starting something.

I have a degrees in both CS and CompE/DigitalSystems - but most of my experience is on the SW side of things.

I am thinking of starting such a project and would like to get more people involved (and work off of anything that people have already)

Thanks,

Ben

I've looked at this and it's not as easy as the whims people have. First off you need an ODB to USB interpreter, that's pretty easy there a few on the market. Next you need to make the driver to read/write ODB signals. Now the fun really begins because ODBII isn't all the same, everyone has their own version and extra command set. Are you ready to license all of these? The final problem is the ODBII polling rate which is pretty abysmal. 2 variable polling isn't bad, 3 starts to get sluggish, and anything over 3 gets really pokey. It's about 50-100ms a poll, so you figure how much info you want. Another big problem is ODBII is on it's way out and CAN-BUS is here.

The AVIC has a pretty limited backend so you'd have your work cut out. Personally I find it's pretty easy to use Auto Enginuity through bluetooth on my HTC Diamond when I just want to log, or break out the laptop, my tactrix cable and open ECU when I want to play. Bluetooth get you all excited? Too bad the AVIC's BT isn't a windows BT stack it is parrot BT hacked to work with the NAV system.

For a product to work well you need it to be something noone else has done, do it cheaper than the others do it, do it easier than the other's do it, or do it better than the others do it. Since ODBII scantools are on the market you'd have, and there are some cheap ones that work very well without having to hack a $600 nav system it would be a long road.

I wish HPTuners would release a Windows CE version of the application, then those of us with supported vehicles would be golden :)

For track runs I am running video out from my laptop to the input of the AVIC with the Virtual gauges on the screen.

• 2 weeks later...
Interesting - would you be interested in starting something...

I am not sure, it seems like lots of things very similar things are coming out and more are probably just about to come out of R&D now. Actually flyboyindy's link is very similar to what we were going to build. We were going to have a few more features but they are probably working on them now.

I've looked at this and it's not as easy as the whims people have...

Ya my plan was to go to one of the many company's that make OBDII scanners and just get a contract to buy the raw HW and integrate their SW. Basically out source.