AVIC411.com

Removing the backup camera warning message

I just managed to remove the warning message from the backup camera display. It isn't necessarily for the faint of heart and I certainly haven't run the unit very long to see if there are side effects.

That being said:

1. I got a copy of AV.EXE from my backup (in the APL folder).

2. Opened it in a HEX editor.

3. At around $290FC0 in the file you will see the warning texts as double-byte (Unicode) characters (every other byte is 0x00).

4. I entered a space to replace each character in the string, being careful to leave the 0x00s as-is.

5. Did they same for the multiple English strings (other languages are there, too).

6. Copied AV.EXE to an SD card with the Testmode stuff.

7. Booted into WinCE and replaced the AV.EXE in the APL folder.

8. Reboot - Test - OK.

Modifying executables can be very dangerous. Be extra careful with this one.

//Tomi B.

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I just managed to remove the warning message from the backup camera display. It isn't necessarily for the faint of heart and I certainly haven't run the unit very long to see if there are side effects.

That being said:

1. I got a copy of AV.EXE from my backup (in the APL folder).

2. Opened it in a HEX editor.

3. At around $290FC0 in the file you will see the warning texts as double-byte (Unicode) characters (every other byte is 0x00).

4. I entered a space to replace each character in the string, being careful to leave the 0x00s as-is.

5. Did they same for the multiple English strings (other languages are there, too).

6. Copied AV.EXE to an SD card with the Testmode stuff.

7. Booted into WinCE and replaced the AV.EXE in the APL folder.

8. Reboot - Test - OK.

Modifying executables can be very dangerous. Be extra careful with this one.

//Tomi B.

do you mind posting it

can this be done for the navi messages as well?

Won't be nearly as easy... Here, he just blanked out the message. It's still there, just invisible. For the Navi message, you need to bypass the actual call that brings it up, otherwise you'd have to click on a blank screen, because it would still be waiting for the OK button to be pressed...

Thank you, thank you, thank you.

I used your zip mod, & it worked for me. I see no side effects - so far. All I can say is, Thanks a lot!

I have a 90BT installed in a Town & Country minivan, 2008, with cmh's mod as well.

Harvey Gordon

I tried it and the reverse image still comes on. Did I miss something? The image is not as dark as before.

Sorry, didn't quite catch that. Do you mean that you can still see the image from the camera or the "CAUTION: IMAGE MAY APPEAR REVERSED" text at the top of the screen?

You'll currently still get the text during boot up. It seems the text is also in another file which is active while the unit is starting up.

//Tomi B.