AVIC411.com

A different (location specific) F series re-boot problem...

I live in the Sacramento, CA area and am having a very strange re-boot problem with my F series (F90). The system will shut down and re-boot in the same general area on the freeway between the Northgate and Truxel off ramps. It happens to me on my way to work and on my way home in the same location and has never happened in any other area. I have already had my unit exchanged by the stereo shop I went to - they did an exchange with a refurbished unit from Pioneer and the same thing happens with the fresh unit. I took one of the guys from the shop on a little freeway trip just after the new unit was installed to test this. Just prior to each reset, the stereo display dims (like the lights were turned on) and then comes back to normal brightness. shortly there after the unit will reset.

Some history, the first stereo spent a year in my previous car and never ever had an issue in this area. The only thing I can think of that may make a difference is that it went from a low to the ground Subaru STi and in to a new Jeep Wrangler.

The GPS antenna was originally located under a cover on top of the dash and the unit would only reset on the way in to work but not on the way home. Since then I installed a metal Tuffy stereo security lock that required me to move the antenna to a higher position, this is when the unit started to reset both on the way in and the way home from work. On Friday, the antenna was moved to an even lower position than it was originally and is now in the dash just above the steering column and the unit continues to reset in both directions.

The only thing I can see that may be causing the issue is a radio transmission tower on the north side of the freeway. This did not happen in my last car and I am trying to figure out what I can do to stop it in this car and still get a good clean GPS signal.

Other info:

My original unit had the most recent update on it, but the new one is still at version 2.0

My old unit lost TTS voices on one of the crashes

I also have the parking assist back up camera and HD tuner with an antenna Y adapter installed with this unit

Any ideas?

• 2 weeks later...

I do not see how a location would cause a problem, unless there is something specific or unusual that was trying to load or if it's trying to say something... strange issues...

If you go on a drive for the same amount of time, but not on freeway, will it reboot?

I do not see how a location would cause a problem, unless there is something specific or unusual that was trying to load or if it's trying to say something... strange issues...

If you go on a drive for the same amount of time, but not on freeway, will it reboot?

Sometimes it happens if the map for this particular location is not encoded correctly, it will crash the software. Does the same happen if you simulate driving through the same spot?

I have not tried to simulate driving through the area yet, but I will give that a shot. I doubt it is related to map encoding as it never did this in my previous car. On top of that, I have a replacement unit from Pioneer that has the same reset issue as the actual F90 I bought about a year ago.

I recently took a week long road trip to Southern California and never once had a reset issue so this is not something that is happening after a certain amount of run time or anything like that. We spent as much as 5 straight hours driving and never once had an issue with the unit other than driving by this area on our way out of town. It happens no matter what mode I am in and does not seem to matter if I have an active navigation rout or not.

I think the unit/GPS antenna are picking up interference from a radio tower that is in the area and clearly visible from the freeway. It seems that antenna location may also be part of the issue, when the antenna was on top of the dash I would have the reset issue going both East and Wwest bound. The antenna was moved lower in the dash (just under the plastic dash and right above the steering column) the unit would only reset on the West bount trip, and not every time I went through the area. FWIW, the radio tower that I think is causing the issues is on the North side of the freeway so I would be closedt to it on the West bound trip.

Last night (under a little protest) my installer moved the antenna much lower in the Jeep, it is now just forward of the gear selector. Since the roof is made of plastic, I am still getting a good GPS signal and the unit shows "high accuracy" under GPS settings and I see at least 7 green satellite signals. I did not have a reset issue on my way in to work today, time will tell if this has resolved the issue or not.

• 2 weeks later...

I am crossing everything I have two of and knocking on wood as I post this, but I think the problem has been solved. After trying everything else we could think of, the installer decided to move the switched power input away from the CANbus adapter and pull directly from an existing switched power source (cigarette lighter in this case) and I am going on one week with no location specific crashes.

I still have no idea why this specific location caused the issues in the first place, but at this point things appear to be working as they should.

FWIW, I believe that the CANbus adapter that was used for my install was made by Metra. I will verify that and correct my post if I am wrong.

I had the same issue after i had updated to the 2008.4 maps. i had had a corrupted file so i had to DL the maps again and then delet and re-copy them back to my avic and that fixed the reboot for me at a specific location.

BTW i also deleted and reinstalled the POI's for good measure. Hope this helps you.

i had the same issue, i restored the original software 2.0, reinstalled the wince os ... I tried every single fix that was suggested here. The only thing that stop my system from rebooting at random and rebooting on certain streets was the 3.0 firmware.