AVIC411.com

iPod Interface Question

On the input end of the cable there is a USB connection and an 1/8 inch three band connector that handles the A/V. That cable plugs into another cable that has a proprietary multi pin plug that connects to the unit. The same end of the F/X series cable has RCA A/V connections that plug into the AV1 input on the unit.

• 4 weeks later...

If you are only going to use the iPod for music and not video you can use the standard iPod USB cable and then plug a 3.5mm phono to phono (male on both ends) cable into the iPod and the Z110 (got mine at the dollar store). I bought an iPod nano yesterday and tried this and it works wonderfully, just make sure the volume is all the way up on the iPod b4 you connect it.

I am disappointed however that you need to hook up the audio jack at all, my FH=P800BT only needed the iPod USB cable.

I thought I had this figured out but you guys have now succeeded in confusing me. My Z110BT is on order and I'm trying to figure out if I need the CD-IU50V. I don't plan on watching video from the ipod - only music (and album art if it will do it). But I do want to control the ipod from the Z110.

So, do I need this special cable or can I just use the USB cable that came with the ipod?

Not without an audio cable. The USB cable that comes with the ipod will only offer you control of the ipod. You still need an audio cable to get the signal into the unit. You could try what the last person said, but at that point, why not just get the appropriate cable. Your buying a 1600 dollar unit, whats another 50 bucks?