AVIC411.com

Official 3.x Firmware Opinion/Results Thread

Oh, I have also noticed with the update that sometimes right after boot, the splash screen will flash onto the screen, then it goes to the navigation menu, and will be unresponsive for a short moment. Then after pushing a button or two, it will take me to the radio screen (being that where it was shut off at), but there is no header bar. But going back to main and forward to radio resolves it.

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Oh, I have also noticed with the update that sometimes right after boot, the splash screen will flash onto the screen, then it goes to the navigation menu, and will be unresponsive for a short moment. Then after pushing a button or two, it will take me to the radio screen (being that where it was shut off at), but there is no header bar. But going back to main and forward to radio resolves it.

My F700 has been doing great since I upgraded, but now is starting to do this exact same thing at random times, not at every bootup.

Yea, its not at every boot. And the SD playback is just as random if its going to work or not. It will play, but the screen won't update or respond, and somehow, the right button pushes seems to get it going.

I am glad to see I am not the only one. I thought I screwed something up or my SD card was the problem.

Version: 3.01

Model: F90

Legitimate: Was it ordered from Pioneer? Yes

Opinion: Marginal improvement over 2.0. MSN Direct upgrade was a pleasant surprise.

Possible Improvements:

- Slow boot-up. I am still out of my driveway and down 2 blocks before radio/map work

- Need to work on the presets for HD radio. Does not show station names. Why have blank buttons? Either capture the station ID, or make them edit-able

- HD radio data should scroll/rotate. Change from station to artist to song to text. Don't force users to click through different pieces of info

- STREET NAMES in 3D. OMG what have they done??? you have to zoom into '500 feet to be able to see them. You should be able to see them regardless. The further you zoom out, the less detail you see (only major roads at higher elevations). Definitely much worse in 3.01 vs 2.0. This is a MUST FIX!!!

- need more OOB color schemes beyond red and blue

Start on this list, and i'll be sure to get you some more....

** Rant mode off **

Version: 3.02

Model: F700BT

Legitimate: Was it ordered from Pioneer? Yes

Opinion: Significant improvement over 2.0. Changed boot order brings radio/ipod up much faster. Screen brightness dims quicker as well when booted at night with the car lights on. New maps are a big improvement over previous version. Keys seem more responsive with little lag. Sounds associated with the menu and map keys are much less annoying.

Possible Improvements:

It often does not recognize my Ipod is connected. Seems worse now than with 2.0 and you have to disconnect/connect to get it to interface with the head unit. This may not be a Pioneer problem (Apple, Microsoft?) but it is annoying all the same.

Would like to see ipod/cd program pause when making/receiving a call.

Would like the nav unit to display speed and speed limit when not in a route.

Bottom line: Very pleased with this unit and update. Operates, overall, very well with few quirks. (Nothing I can't live with.)

Update: Installed XM over the weekend. No issues. Works fine.

Just installed my new update from pioneer and have screen freezing when playing mp3 from sd card or usb!! Steering wheel controls also don't respond well when screen freezed in either mode. Did not have this problem with 2.06!! Paid for new update and this crap happens!!??

Interesting new behavior with 3.0, it now regularly loses my hooked up 24/7 ipod in the glovebox, and by regular, I mean once a week or so, I had this once or twice total with the various 2.x releases.

Not a big deal, but somewhat annoying since I can't get ipod music until I stop if I'm on the road.

"Interesting" is one word for it. "f-ed" is another.

The only good things about 3.01 are the button response, info text readability on the map, and key beep disable.

Otherwise, to quote Capt Kirk... "Cons....!"

-Takes just as long to boot up, if not longer.

-Music during splash screen comes on no quicker than before.

-3D Map moves slower, has less detail, and does not display all street names.

-Map acts funky and weird, sometimes freezing, and requiring multiple pushes of the map button

-Map visual setting does not retain full-screen mode, and the useless information window keeps re-appearing in the lower left quadrant whenever I re-start the system. (I think 2.0 did that, too)

-iPhone was not recognized every time I plugged it in, and when it was, would not play any music. (iPhone 3G sw ver 3.1)

-Howard Stern and Opie/Anthony still suck and aren't funny.

EDIT: Doh! I had reset the unit in an attempt to get the map working correctly, without having to turn the engine off and on again. That reset AV1 to default. That is why I had no audio from my iPhone. It's OK now. (The iPhone playback, that is. The other stuff still sucks.)

Got the 3.02 update done today. Best part? There are 3 map modes. 2D where North is Up, 2D Direction of Travel, and 3D direction of travel. I was waiting for the 2D direction of travel! Now it's just like my other OEM navs.

Buttons responsive. XM much quicker to change channels. Load time quicker.

So far so good. Iphone 3gs plays using my cable. First time I plugged it in it asked me to replug it in.

Worth the 80 bucks. Just for the direction of travel and the new maps.