AVIC411.com

iPhone sound only right channel

Hi all. I have an f90bt. Was working perfectly since xmas. Recently did the 3.01 update. Sound has been lower on all functions(Read that others noticed lower volume since update too). 30 used to be loud, now more like 40. Then today I realized when listening to music from my iPhone it was playing through only the right channel. Anyone have any insight into this problem?

This is starting to become a more prevalent issue. It's SOMETHING to do with the connectors SOMEWHER to the iPod/iPhone, as you'll find when it does it that your other sound inputs work fine, i.e. radio/cd player etc will play properly through all the speakers. Nobody knows for sure what the issue is, yet. There's just speculation it's the white/red RCAs, but there's been no definitive proof of this.

This is starting to become a more prevalent issue. It's SOMETHING to do with the connectors SOMEWHER to the iPod/iPhone, as you'll find when it does it that your other sound inputs work fine, i.e. radio/cd player etc will play properly through all the speakers. Nobody knows for sure what the issue is, yet. There's just speculation it's the white/red RCAs, but there's been no definitive proof of this.

This isn't rocket science guys, troubleshooting will help someone figure out which if the many reasons that could cause it to happen are the issue in their individual case. All the other listed sources are internal, they don't use any of the path listed below.

Since we know that the analog in is where the audio comes in, one can choose to remove the dock and dock connector from the equation by using a simple 3.5mm to RCA cable out of an audio device into the AVIC RCA's if it still happens then it's either the RCA itself, or as some have found, the header in the AVIC that the RCAs plug into.

The AVIC does nothing digital with the ipod audio, it simply feeds in analog, and that's easy to trace and troubleshoot. People keep trying to make this into a more complicated issue, it's simple analog signal tracing and troubleshooting. Too many people are looking to "prove how bad the AVIC is" by damning this, but it's one of the most brilliantly simple things Pioneer did.

Your choices of there the audio issue is coming from isn't a tough one, it uses the following analog path:

ipod side of the dock connector/analog

cable side of the dock connector/analog

RCA cable out of the dock connector

RCA cable into the AVIC

header pins in the harness from the RCA jacks

internal header jack of the AVIC

and last and least likely, internal signal paths in the AVIC

• 2 weeks later...

I just realized my iphone was only playing sound from he left sides last night. The left front and back speakers were working but nothing on the right. I would have to have to pull out the radio and change the cable as it was such an hard time run that cable under the dash. It was working before I did the 3.0 update though but as mention it maybe the cable to I may try and change the cable.

• 1 month later...

It has nothing to do with firmware/software.

It is a hardware issue, one Pioneer is aware of. The plug that the white harness plugs into that connects all the RCA cables to the unit has a weak solder joint and causes the iPod RCA inputs from the iPod cable to short out either left or right or both, sometimes fade in and out (loosing connection). Pioneer will fix it for you so send it in for repairs..

Yeah, I've been having the same issue too and sometimes if I'd turn hard the speakers would kick back in. I found that if you just simply unplug it and plug it back it, it generally fixes it.

Are you saying to just use the USB cable for the iPhone/iPod straight into the USB cable on the unit's end and that'll prevent this issue?

The USB Interface is for controlling the songs and pulling your library to the unit, the sound still has to go through the RCA connections, so using just an iPhone/iPod USB cable won't work as you won't have any sound. Chances are, if you've got the sound cutting in and out, and you've checked the dock connector and RCA connections, you need to send it in for repair.

I had a similar problem I believe. The sound was quieter out of that right channel too. The problem happened rarely and then became more and more prevalent. I then could not stop it from happening. I obviously had checked all connections and put it down to something to with the Pioneer iPod cable. RCA plugged in, differnt iPod same result.

In the end made the jump to the Apple one, still working now.

• 2 weeks later...