AVIC411.com

3.0 Retail, Official, Legit install experience

After checking the order status last night, I discovered the massive box had been delivered to my back door :roll:

Today I installed it.

I followed the minimal instructions exactly, copying down the maps version (not sure why they want you to do this).

Rebooting with the first SD card, upgrades it to 2.00100 or 2.01 or 2.1 whatever you want to call it. It took about 20min and didn't require any codes or anything.

After the install it rebooted. After staring at the splash screen for 4-5min, I gave up on waiting and removed SD #1 and I turned the car off and back on - I recommend leaving the car running, as it'll be 40+min of the car sitting with the accessories on, and may be a bit of drain on the battery depending on your system.

Upon booting, the Main Menu popped up with the "System booting, please wait" screen overlay. I waited. And waited. And waited. Five minutes later I gave up on it and rebooted. The Main Menu popped up again, with the "...Please Wait" still there. It was still there five minutes later. I inserted SD #2, and copied down the Device ID from the resulting screen. The "Please Wait" overlay was STILL there, but I could press the OK that was underneath it.

I took the code to the pioneer update site and got my unlock code, and returned to the headunit. I entered the code, I had to press the appropriate area where the keys for letters I couldn't see were, because the "Please Wait" overlay WAS STILL THERE. Once the whole code was entered, the "Done" in the lower-right was selectable. I pressed it and the system rebooted and proceeded to upgrade.

The first upgrade screen isn't pictured in any of the install manuals, but it has a blinking blue square in the lower right and moves very slowly, about 30min to complete, so it sits at 0% for a couple minutes before moving. Going from 99% to 100% takes about 3x what it seems it should. Once that part is done, it goes into an upgrade similar to SD #1, which takes about 10-15min, and is followed by a reboot.

It asks if you want to keep your bootscreen. :D

My phones were both saved, and didn't require re-pairing at all. :D

My presets were gone. :(

The seek up/down still only bump up and down the tuner (seek up/down on holding for a sec), they don't do preset up/down. Dunno if I need to set the steering wheel control adapter to preset up/down (which the AVIC wouldn't respond to with 2.0) to get it to work.

The screen definitely is more responsive.

I think the phone pairs a few seconds faster.

• Replies 122
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Things I noticed.

1 - Overall the unit is faster. Buttons response, load time, phone connection, all improved.

2 - Illumination changes colors like a kaleidoscope. (I like it, but you can set it to one color.)

3 - SD performance has gone down. It loads the initial song fast, but takes ages for the rest of the card to load. Maybe I just need a faster SD card. /shrug

4 - Can't comment on iPod connectivity.

iPod connectivity is same as before, but, with regards to boot time, in 2.0, the music would play and there'd still be a few seconds of load screen, now the music plays and it's 1-2 seconds before the iPod play screen shows. This at least gives the impression that it's loading faster.

I haven't used SD cards for audio at all.

I need to hack the maps to get the mute and cancel route buttons back. I miss them.

Things I noticed.

2 - Illumination changes colors like a kaleidoscope. (I like it, but you can set it to one color.)

I've had my F900BT for a couple days (came with my new Scion xB Release Series 6.0), and it is on 2.006 and has that feature - I just discovered it last night.

Kevin

Things I noticed.

3 - SD performance has gone down. It loads the initial song fast, but takes ages for the rest of the card to load. Maybe I just need a faster SD card. /shrug

You were going good until #3. :P This, if true, pisses me off. :x Thats the ONLY audio i use, sans the radio. I do hope its your SD card. :mrgreen:

Just finished updating one of two AVIC-F90BT units with the officially-purchased upgrade. Wrathernaut - the instructions ask you to copy down your current map version and firmware versions so you can verify at the end of the process that the upgrade was installed correctly. Mine went from Map Version 01.000600 to 2.000400, and from Firmware Version 2.000000 to version 3.020100. I didn't have the problems with the "System Booting - Please Wait" message that you encountered; my update process went very smoothly except for a hangup at 82% complete on the SD card #1 update - got an error message at that point, but I just hit the "Retry Update" button and it picked up from that point and completed successfully.

The entire update process takes every bit of the 40 minutes the instructions tell you it will. I left my engine running and brought a laptop out to the car so I could connect to the Pioneer update web site and obtain the password to continue; that went smoothly. As Miggity79 said, overall the system seems faster. Don't use an SD card for anything, so I can't comment on that; and I haven't used my iPod yet so I can't comment on that either. My phone pairing and contacts also stayed the same after the update, and I notice a somewhat-improved onscreen phone interface while a call is in progress. I also notice that with button sounds "Off", even switching to the Main menu from another screen doesn't generate the annoying "ta-ding" sound as it did under the old version with button sounds off. Map screen looks much improved and cleaner, with nice shaded boxes for the time, distance to destination, etc. data onscreen. Hopefully the map database is improved; will be a few weeks before I get far enough away from my home area to test that out.

So we get a code for the maps off the Pioneer site? And us rookieswon't have to find someone to remove the unit just to get a code?

Yes, the official firmware update requires you to input the Media Number, which is found on the literature accompanying the SD cards you'll receive from Pioneer, and the Device Number, which will be displayed during the update process - just be sure and write it down for future reference. (You don't have to pull the unit out of the dash to obtain any info necessary to complete the update process.) In the instructions is the web site you go to where you'll input the above-referenced numbers, then it will display your password which you'll input during phase two (SD card #2) of the update process. Write down your password, also.

Loaded mine today and did not have any real issues but you will need closer to 1 hour from start to finish!

Sitting for 1 hour in your car with the motor running is ridiculous so be sure you have plenty of gas.

Card #1 went in without any problems, Card #2 also went smooth until 91% then I had to hit retry. From there it finished with no further problems. I also saved my splash screen so there was another 5 or 6 minuets.

Then had to pair my phone and phone book again. Also went to av1 to turn on my ipod.

Can't say yet if it is lots better but everything works so far and seems a tad faster. Time for a road trip!

Well mine came in the mail today as well...

Install went pretty similar as everyone elses.. Had a couple of read errors towards the end of the second disk...It does give you the option to retry which I did and it did move ahead.

Amazingly everything was saved; phone and radio settings. I can't tell if it boots faster or slower than before, it feels a little slower to me. Not that big a deal to me.

Not getting too many street names in the 3d mode as well although I did read a post somewhere here about a possible fix for that. I really like the 2D Heads up. MSN Direct seems to work fine with it and I have had no phone issues yet.

Haven't gone anywhere yet so can't say much about the maps or the routing. I do know that I miss GTIMatts mod and would love to have it back if he can make it work with 3.02

Regards,

M