AVIC411.com

3.0 MSN not working correctly?

Ok. I had this problem at first. The instruction for upgrade the MSN is not very clear (when you think the upgrade is all done but the MSN is actually not part of it, and it will not get upgraded until you have the upgrade SD in the unit and try to use the MSN the first times). These are the steps I took.

1. When the unit is still turn off, insert the 2nd upgrade SD into the unit.

2. Turn your key to ACC to start the unit.

3. The unit knows not to upgrade the system firmware again since it is the same version already.

4. With the SD in the unit, go to MSN Direct main menu, click at the bottom where shows "status".

5. Wait for the status screen to show and then just follow the instructions.

I think this is it. Sorry, I am writing this from memory. I will try to verify this when I got home.

This is correct! I just did this with my F90BT and it installed the firmware for MSN Direct. The funny thing is, 10 mins prior to reading your post, I was on the phone with MSN's customer support canceling my subscription. Looks like I need to purchase it again.

Thanks, I had a problem with MSN direct, I did not complete the MSN portion of the update so it would not work and any time I put either SD card in I got a card read error. The key to resolving this for me and getting the MSN update is to turn the car OFF. Put in the SD 2, start the car, allow the system to boot, wait for MSN to connect, then go to "Status" and the updates starts on its own, 8 minutes later your done. Thanks to the previous poster for pointing out the steps, particularly inserting the update SD only when the car is OFF.

Thanks, I had a problem with MSN direct, I did not complete the MSN portion of the update so it would not work and any time I put either SD card in I got a card read error. The key to resolving this for me and getting the MSN update is to turn the car OFF. Put in the SD 2, start the car, allow the system to boot, wait for MSN to connect, then go to "Status" and the updates starts on its own, 8 minutes later your done. Thanks to the previous poster for pointing out the steps, particularly inserting the update SD only when the car is OFF.

You're welcome. :wink:

• 2 weeks later...

My issue is, I think a little different. Mine tells me it is connecting to MSN Direct under the status tab, but, I am not showing any signal. I called MSNDirect and they told me it was a known issue with Pioneer. I called Pioneer and they told me I need to buy an FM booster to boost teh signal. I live in the LA area and the coverage for it is exceptional for the area. Does anyone know about having to install an FM booster and if so, any suggestions on a reputable device?

My MSN DIrect signal had always been "iffy" at best, and I live/work in areas that are supposed to have good coverage. I was lucky to ever see 1 bar on the status page, and that was rare.

After applying the 3.0 update I purchased from Pioneer, I now have full bars most all the time.

MSN direct data used to take forever to actually populate.

Everything is current within minutes of startup now.

Quite suprised and very pleased.

+1

This is correct! I just did this with my F90BT and it installed the firmware for MSN Direct. The funny thing is, 10 mins prior to reading your post, I was on the phone with MSN's customer support canceling my subscription. Looks like I need to purchase it again.

I canceled mine a long time ago because it never really worked well. I just realized that it is now working! I'd wait before renewing to see if it actually stops working.

My issue is, I think a little different. Mine tells me it is connecting to MSN Direct under the status tab, but, I am not showing any signal. I called MSNDirect and they told me it was a known issue with Pioneer. I called Pioneer and they told me I need to buy an FM booster to boost teh signal. I live in the LA area and the coverage for it is exceptional for the area. Does anyone know about having to install an FM booster and if so, any suggestions on a reputable device?

I also live in theLA area but don't have this problem. Let me ask you a question. Have you done a reset (by pressing that little pin next to the reject) after the 3.0 update? If not, try that because it usually helps.

Good luck.

• 2 weeks later...