AVIC411.com

Remote start messing up avic

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1. I don't know.

2. Probably. I would expect them to last about three years.

3. No. Normal battery voltage will be too low to cause current to flow to the aux battery pack while the engine is off.

4. Yes, that will probably work. You may need to adjust the value of the current limit resistor, or add one more cell to the battery pack if you do this.

I mentioned this in a previous post about the diodes specified in the AVIC schematic using the NiCads. They have a forward voltage drop of 1.5v(each diode) as opposed to a diode of the 1N40xx,1N54xx series with only a .7v drop. There are 10 cells (1.2 volts per cell * 10 = 12) in the design, offering 12vdc. Subtract 1.5v from 12v and you get 10.5v, JoeGr said 10.5v powering the AVIC is a problem....so those diodes as specified, should not be used.

NiCads are known to be trickier to charge.

NiCads can be easily overcharged, shortening their life, thus requiring a 16 hour cutoff timer or shorter depending on the charge rate(amount of current flow into the battery). Which if you are only driving you car for less than 16 hours this maybe not a problem. But since they aren't being used but for a few seconds, I would think that if you drove your frequently for long periods you would end up overcharing the NICADs. Another thing, NICads require 1.41v per cel to properly charge, times ten cells is 14.1volts...My alternator puts out 14.1 v MAX so subtract the 1.5 diode drop = 12.6 volts, not enough to properly charge the NICADs so maybe they are not going to be overcharged, but will they be undercharged? NICads also have the highest self-discharge rate of any rechargable battery, so storing your car for weeks on end could result in a dead NiCAD, especially if it were not being charged properly.

Another idea is to replace the finicky NICADs with a 12v 2A(Atbatt.com AP-1220F1 $14.00 USD) sealed lead acid. It will charge just like your car battery, then you can eliminate D2 and R1 and replace with a 2 amp fuse, replace D1 with a 1N5408, and if you didnt want to deal with caps, transistors and resistors replace them all with a 12vdc SPST or SPDT relay. The relay contacts are wired to AVIC_ACC_PWR and AVIC_CONST_PWR, one side of the relay coil goes to ground and the other side goes to CAR_ACC_PWR.

So how would you wire up the b28t to the avic since there is no pulsed trigger only constant 12volts?

According to DEI, the 528T triggers from a pos or neg pulse or a pos /neg change of state.

Using this relay had a specific fix, in that using a certain remote start removed the ACC voltage from the AVIC for a few seconds as reported by one AVIC owner. The idea was for the 528T relay to trigger on for 30 seconds or so while the car cranked, bridging the AVIC_CONST_PWR and AVIC_ACC_PWR. When it timed out, presumably the car would have already started.

the 528T does not fix the problem of low cranking volts causing the AVIC to lock up during boot as reported by others, for this you need a 12v battery wired in to supplant the AVIC voltage during crank time.

OK so the 528 won't work for me because the acc voltage drops, it doesn't completly cut out. Somone mentioned about wiring a normal relay to the alarm so the radio only gets acc power when the alarm is disarmed. I kind of like this idea because then the radio will turn off if I leave the car running while running into the store. Anybody know what wire I would need to splice into on a viper 5701 to accomplish this?

the orange wire(on the main small gauge harness not the heavy guage harness) on any viper system is the "ground while armed" wire, so any time the alarm is armed it will send out a ground signal, and when you disarm it the ground signal will stop (some systems will keep the wire grounded if remote started until the key take over has been done)

OK so the 528 won't work for me because the acc voltage drops, it doesn't completly cut out. Somone mentioned about wiring a normal relay to the alarm so the radio only gets acc power when the alarm is disarmed. I kind of like this idea because then the radio will turn off if I leave the car running while running into the store. Anybody know what wire I would need to splice into on a viper 5701 to accomplish this?

Are you sure you are going to like this feature, because it would be no different, than if you shut off your car and locked it. When you come back out of the store and deactivate yoour alarm, your AVIC will have to reboot with or without the car running. If you just want to turn off the radio portion, maybe you want to think about muting it.

Is this restart interruption a problem with everyone who has a remote start? I was planning on getting a remote starter but dont want to sacrifice my f90bt for it.

i have zero problems with my avic and my RS for the year that i have had them both, every car is slightly different however and some situations might need to be worked around as listed in this thread

Are you sure you are going to like this feature, because it would be no different, than if you shut off your car and locked it. When you come back out of the store and deactivate yoour alarm, your AVIC will have to reboot with or without the car running. If you just want to turn off the radio portion, maybe you want to think about muting it.

true this option will be very inconvient since the AVIC will not start booting up until your already in the car, and will reboot every time you lock the car and go in anywhere while the car is running, i only recomended this option as a possible solution to a remote starter problem, as it will fix the problem, it will make the system more inconvient to use.

hy,i'm new here,but i thinnk i can help.

u may had fixed the probleme wth you,re tundra,but if u haven't thiss may help

all you have to do is disconnect the wire from the alarm that powers up the acc,it should be a purple wire coming from the alarm brain, everything else will work just fine because in toyotas this wire only turns on the radio.

run the ACC wire from the car to terminals 86 and 30, connect the "ground while armed" wire to terminal 85, connect terminal 87A to the AVIC's ACC wire, and then insulate terminal 87.

having 86 connected to ACC will keep the relay from energizing until the car is started and not all the time when the alarm is armed, therefore reducing the amount of power the car is using while armed and parked (not that its a big draw, but if the car ever sits for a while, the less the better)

if there is a diod on the relay, the coil polarity (85 & 86) may be reversed

• 3 weeks later...

if your alarm has AUX outputs and 98% do(for example mine has 2) you could use one to power the relay to turn on the AVIC. For example mine has the ability to provide a latched output(it will stay on) for up to 90 seconds. So i've used mine to power up my AVIC before i get into the car. I can also keep it running while cranking the vehicle using the same output

Is this restart interruption a problem with everyone who has a remote start? I was planning on getting a remote starter but dont want to sacrifice my f90bt for it.

i have zero problems with my avic and my RS for the year that i have had them both, every car is slightly different however and some situations might need to be worked around as listed in this thread

same here. I have the f700bt and a Aviator with factory remote start. No problems since install.