AVIC411.com

Who wants new Teleatlas 2009.6 USA maps...?

How are these maps?  

34 members have voted

1. 1. How are these maps?

• Great, Noticeable Differences
    • Seems The Same
    • Needs Work
    • Not Using Them - Sticking With An Older Version Of TeleAtlas Maps
    • Sticking With NavTeq Maps (Any Version)

Perhaps this issue doesn't happen when one replaces ALL poi files. I only replaced California. So I have a new CA poi, and an "old" NV poi.

My guess is everything would work fine if I replaced ALL the poi files. I'll bet the problem would also go away, if I reverted to the old CA poi files.

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks. Your post about not needing any licenses threw me off. I went ahead and copied the ezrider and the two lic files mentioned in the OP. The new map appears to work fine. And, the CA POI's show up now. However, when I browse by category, I get duplicate sub-categories, one set for CA POI's, and another for NV. The NV sub-category names are all in upper case text, while the CA set uses normal capitalization.

Sounds like you have different version of POI files in there or different being one is NavTeq and the other is TeleAtlas maybe? strange...

I had Navteq maps prior to installing the 2009.6 Teleatlas maps. One thing I did notice is the new 2009.6 maps and POI filenames are different than Navteq...meaning when I copied the new map, it didn't ask me to overwrite the old. So, you could have 2 different maps and POI of the same state in your folders. Make sense?

Example: Navteq filename: USA_Pennsylvania.fbl

Teleatlas filename: USA_Pennsylvania83TA_2009.06_090710.fbl

Same goes for the POI.

Thanks. Your post about not needing any licenses threw me off. I went ahead and copied the ezrider and the two lic files mentioned in the OP. The new map appears to work fine. And, the CA POI's show up now. However, when I browse by category, I get duplicate sub-categories, one set for CA POI's, and another for NV. The NV sub-category names are all in upper case text, while the CA set uses normal capitalization.

Sounds like you have different version of POI files in there or different being one is NavTeq and the other is TeleAtlas maybe? strange...

I had Navteq maps prior to installing the 2009.6 Teleatlas maps. One thing I did notice is the new 2009.6 maps and POI filenames are different than Navteq...meaning when I copied the new map, it didn't ask me to overwrite the old. So, you could have 2 different maps and POI of the same state in your folders. Make sense?

Example: Navteq filename: USA_Pennsylvania.fbl

Teleatlas filename: USA_Pennsylvania83TA_2009.06_090710.fbl

Same goes for the POI.

If you do it that way, it will still only use one set of maps (whichever report themselves as later ones, so probably TA). It will, however, use both sets of POIs. I'm running it like that right now. There's some overlap, and certain items are c;assified or named differently, but certain ones are only in one or the other so running both gives you a better database.

I changed the names of the new files to match the originals, so there were no multiple instances of the same map or poi.

The issue I was having is when I browsed POI's near my location. The AVIC listed POI's from both the California POI file and the Nevada POI file. And, because the Nevada sub-category headings are all UPPER CASE, but the California headings are all normally capitalized, it shows duplicate sub-category headings for any sub-category that exists in both files, with one in UPPER CASE and one normally capitalized.

My guess is that if both files used the same formatting, then the headings would merge, and the contents from both files would probably appear under single headings. It's just a guess, though.

However, I restored the original POI files on the unit, and it's working normally again. How much can the POI info have changed between the versions, anyway? I kept the newer map files, though. Might as well have the newest map info.

One thing I notice about the map is that it looks rather plain. Not much topographical detail. I also can't tilt the 3D map down flat enough for my taste. I like it really 3D, so it looks like I'm driving almost straight ahead at a very low angle. I seem to remember 2.0 tilting lower.

I'm using the 3.01 US dem file, the big one approx 118mb. There is also a very small North America dem file in there. Is it possible the unit is using the small NA file instead of the big US file?

I changed the names of the new files to match the originals, so there were no multiple instances of the same map or poi.

The issue I was having is when I browsed POI's near my location. The AVIC listed POI's from both the California POI file and the Nevada POI file. And, because the Nevada sub-category headings are all UPPER CASE, but the California headings are all normally capitalized, it shows duplicate sub-category headings for any sub-category that exists in both files, with one in UPPER CASE and one normally capitalized.

My guess is that if both files used the same formatting, then the headings would merge, and the contents from both files would probably appear under single headings. It's just a guess, though.

However, I restored the original POI files on the unit, and it's working normally again. How much can the POI info have changed between the versions, anyway? I kept the newer map files, though. Might as well have the newest map info.

One thing I notice about the map is that it looks rather plain. Not much topographical detail. I also can't tilt the 3D map down flat enough for my taste. I like it really 3D, so it looks like I'm driving almost straight ahead at a very low angle. I seem to remember 2.0 tilting lower.

I'm using the 3.01 US dem file, the big one approx 118mb. There is also a very small North America dem file in there. Is it possible the unit is using the small NA file instead of the big US file?

gpssoftware.us, go to the Igo8.3 and download the US Dem file, its 5 parts but its the high res one your looking for. Need to turn off smart zoon in the sys.txt, that did the trick for me to tilt the map at about 70 degrees.

gpssoftware.us, go to the Igo8.3 and download the US Dem file, its 5 parts but its the high res one your looking for. Need to turn off smart zoon in the sys.txt, that did the trick for me to tilt the map at about 70 degrees.
Do I just copy the unzipped NA_usa.dem file into the DEMfolder in addition to the North_America.dem and UnitedStates.dem files that are already there? Or, do I need to delete the latter two files?
Do I just copy the unzipped NA_usa.dem file into the DEMfolder in addition to the North_America.dem and UnitedStates.dem files that are already there? Or, do I need to delete the latter two files?

I repeat, do I have to delete the original North America and USA dem files, or does the new NA_usa.dem reside in the folder in addition to the originals?

I assume, and hope, the originals get deleted as the size of the new dem file will bring the total size of My Flash Disk precariously close to capacity, if not over.

I repeat, do I have to delete the original North America and USA dem files, or does the new NA_usa.dem reside in the folder in addition to the originals?

I assume, and hope, the originals get deleted as the size of the new dem file will bring the total size of My Flash Disk precariously close to capacity, if not over.

delete, use just that one