AVIC411.com

Is the 3.0 update worth it

I am just wondering, just about everyone has the 3.0 update. Is it worth upgrading to it as I now have the red theme which looks awesome, and the 2.0 works great. There are no UI pics of the 3.0, so that leads me to believe that it is nothing special. What is so great about the 3.0? I want to know as it is a risk cuz a lot of guys here seem to have had problems with it and the installation. Is the UI the same? What is different compared to the 2.0?

I am just wondering, just about everyone has the 3.0 update. Is it worth upgrading to it as I now have the red theme which looks awesome, and the 2.0 works great. There are no UI pics of the 3.0, so that leads me to believe that it is nothing special. What is so great about the 3.0? I want to know as it is a risk cuz a lot of guys here seem to have had problems with it and the installation. Is the UI the same? What is different compared to the 2.0?

-response is a lot faster

-newer version of the navi

-there's a couple guys working on mods for it

-haven't had a problem since the install (though i am using the hacked version of the update)

Yes, it is.
I think you are missing the point. I want to know WHY the update is worth it! I have some great mods installed on my 2.0 version. There are not to many mods available for the 3.0 except for some NAV mods. I just dont want to go back to that crappy UI of Pioneer, that looks just to plain. What features does the 3.0 version have that is better than the 2.0? All I am reading is responsiveness and a better NAV system. If that is it, I dont see the point of giving up some of these great mods that are available. Can you please be more specific, Thanks
Yes, it is.
I think you are missing the point. I want to know WHY the update is worth it! I have some great mods installed on my 2.0 version. There are not to many mods available for the 3.0 except for some NAV mods. I just dont want to go back to that crappy UI of Pioneer, that looks just to plain. What features does the 3.0 version have that is better than the 2.0? All I am reading is responsiveness and a better NAV system. If that is it, I dont see the point of giving up some of these great mods that are available. Can you please be more specific, Thanks

The MSN Direct feature connects 100% of the time now, instead of rarely with the previous firmware.

Button response time is much much faster.

BT is arguably more buggy, though you can still go through the menus while on a call (big plus!)

Hardware Bypass still works just fine.

Maps are now the exact same as Google Maps' current maps (they use Teleatlas 2009 as well). POIs are much more accurate.

The flip side is that the longer you wait to upgrade, the more the price is going to go up (up to $120). So it's kind of a moot point.

All I can see is the hacked version that is available on this forum. I went to Pioneers website and cannot find the upgrade. Is the hacked version safe and the same?

http://www.pioneerelectronics.com/PUSA/ ... CNSD-100FM

You'd probably need a US address to get this, but worth a shot to try with your Canadian postal code.

Read this thread: http://www.avic411.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=45&t=25031

Thank you, I found the link in the Canadian Pioneer site. There it was only on for $75 cdn until Sept 30, so I purchased it. I hope it is worth the upgrade as I got some real sweet mods on my 2.0 system. I have looked at the file structure though of the 3.0 file (hacked one), and it is generally the same as the 2.0 version. Why cant the 2.0 mods sucha as the apple red theme which changes the look be used in the 3.0 version? I have been told in a previous post that 2.0 UI mods cannot be used in the 3.0, but I dont understand why as the file paths and structures are all the same. You are just changing the looks.

Thank you, I found the link in the Canadian Pioneer site. There it was only on for $75 cdn until Sept 30, so I purchased it. I hope it is worth the upgrade as I got some real sweet mods on my 2.0 system. I have looked at the file structure though of the 3.0 file (hacked one), and it is generally the same as the 2.0 version. Why cant the 2.0 mods sucha as the apple red theme which changes the look be used in the 3.0 version? I have been told in a previous post that 2.0 UI mods cannot be used in the 3.0, but I dont understand why as the file paths and structures are all the same. You are just changing the looks.

The mods outside of Navi part won't necessarily work because Pioneer moved a few buttons around.

Mods for Navi won't work because there is added functionality that won't be present ion 2.0 skins, and also most templates were changed.

Having said that, all the good Navi skins have been ported to 3.0 by now, and actual skin writing is pretty much the same.

The mods outside of Navi part won't necessarily work because Pioneer moved a few buttons around.

Mods for Navi won't work because there is added functionality that won't be present ion 2.0 skins, and also most templates were changed.

Having said that, all the good Navi skins have been ported to 3.0 by now, and actual skin writing is pretty much the same.

Thanks Boris, The Navi skins I am not to worried about as there are a lot of good ones to choose from. I just want a colour scheme for my UI as the black and grey from Pioneer sucks. I used the Apple Red theme and it is awesome, a much improvement. I really would like to see this on my 3.0 when I get it. Are there any colour themes available for the 3.0? I

You do realize there are a lot of video demos on youtube to see the real world performance and changes. Is it a miracle upgrade, no its not. Its evolutionary and some performance with newer maps. Thats it, I personally like it a lot and I loaded some mods for 3.0 and its perfect now. I have no gripes. Performs well, its stable. I only use an iphone and the navigation. So sd card, dvd player etc I don't really use.

Thanks for the info! I checked out the update on youtube and there is nothing special about the update at all :(. The only difference is newer maps. You would figure that if Pioneer charges $120 US for the update, that they would at least improve the UI some and make it look better, god it looks like it was designed by some kid in his basement. I am going to try to mod the shit out of it so that at least I will feel semi-good about spending $60 ($75 cdn) on it :)

Thanks for the info! I checked out the update on youtube and there is nothing special about the update at all :(. The only difference is newer maps. You would figure that if Pioneer charges $120 US for the update, that they would at least improve the UI some and make it look better, god it looks like it was designed by some kid in his basement. I am going to try to mod the shit out of it so that at least I will feel semi-good about spending $60 ($75 cdn) on it :)

it's already up to $99 now in the US.

You would figure that if Pioneer charges $120 US for the update, that they would at least improve the UI some and make it look better, god it looks like it was designed by some kid in his basement. I am going to try to mod the shit out of it so that at least I will feel semi-good about spending $60 ($75 cdn) on it :)

Interesting since I looked hard at the other units and the horrible CGA/EGA DOS text on them was enough to kill them in the ugly department, I really think Pioneer hit the ball out of the park in making one of the few attractive GUIs.

You can complain about the choices they made, but just looking at the fact they use decent fonts was enough to win my heart.

Interesting since I looked hard at the other units and the horrible CGA/EGA DOS text on them was enough to kill them in the ugly department, I really think Pioneer hit the ball out of the park in making one of the few attractive GUIs.

You can complain about the choices they made, but just looking at the fact they use decent fonts was enough to win my heart.

I cant argue with the fact that the fonts are excellent, I find that Pioneer should have made an option to change the colour of the GUI to match present vehicles. I just dont like the dark grey look, it looks to plain.