AVIC411.com

Chime Retention & Backup Camera Questions

Hello all,

I searched, but had no luck finding answers to my 2 questions.

I just got my Pioner AVIC-D2 unit installed in my 2006 HUMMER H3 with a Chime Retention Module (I believe it is PAC, not Peripheral). A few questions for you experts out there:

1. Should the "chime" sound different than what it sounded like with the Factory Radio installed ? My "chime" sounds way different now. The installer told me that it was not possible to retain the same "factory chime sound" because the chime was now going through the module and not the factory speakers/system???

Is that true or is he just BS-ing me?

Also, are the PAC and Peripheral modules any DIFFERENT in terms of how the chime sounds?

2. I also had a backup camera put in, but the quality of the picture is not great. I have had a LOT better quality backup cameras on other cars. The camera they installed was the SAVV RV7000. I originally wanted the OEM Pioneer Camera (ND-BC1), but they talked me out of it. In your guys' opinion, is the Pioneer Camera higher quality than the SAVV camera?

Thanks in advance all!!!

Thanks for the replies!!!

One more thing:

Does anyone know if the PAC Chime Retention Module have a volume control switch/knob on it like the Peripheral module does?

Sorry...one last thing:

Question for any/all Pioneer camera owners:

Does the camera mount with screws or just adhesive tape? If it only mounts with tape, I would think it would be susceptible to coming off pretty easily or always needing to be readjusted...thanks again in advance!!!

The metra version of the interface will run the chime through the stock speakers and has a volume control. The down side of the module is that it disconnects the left front speaker to do this. Basically the music can sometimes sound a little strange when the chime kicks in and the left front speaker isn't producing music.

Help...again:

If I replace my SAVV camera with the Pioneer camera, are the cable and connections all the same? In other words, does a new/different cable have to be run throughout the entire car for the Pioneer camera or are the cable/connections the same for every rear view camera?

Thanks again!!!!

You don't HAVE to run new cables since I think most cameras are standard with 3 wires: Ground, +12V power, and RCA coax for video.

However, the ND-BC1 has a control box and a really long cable going to the camera. The control box is not water resistant so it needs to be mounted inside the car. So if all the camera wires go outside the car, you'll need to bring the ends of them inside so you can plug them into the box and mount the box inside.

• 2 months later...

Re: PlateCam Backup Camera

I had a PlateCam installed on my SUV with the AVIC D1. It is only good for the vehicles where the license plate is pretty well centered on the vehicle. The PlateCam is a license plate frame with a wide angle camera lense built in.

I haven't seen other camera images so I can't directly compare, but the PlateCam has an excellent colour image. It certainly is not HDTV quality, but I have absoutely no quality complaints. I bought mine of eBay, but they do have a website.

The camera reverses the image so it displays correctly on the Avic's monitor (left side of screen is left side of vehicle). It is not a night camera, but with a little bit of light - usually the backup lights are enough - it gives more than just a satisfactory black and white image in the dark.

What I like about the PlateCam is that it is integrated into the vehicle ... it is not mounted anywhere with tape or screws because it is a license plate frame (well, it screws to the license plate holes in the vehicle and the license plate screws to the PlateCam.

If anything ever happens to my PlateCam, it can easily be replaced with another one easily ... it came with long cables to go from the Avic to the rear of the vehicle and the plate cam itself had a couple of short cables that simply plugged into the longer cables. So replacement would not require re-running the wires from the Avic to the rear of the vehicle.

Like I said, I bought mine on eBay, but their website is:

http://www.crimestopper.com/

If you press the PlateCam button in the middle of the website, the model I chose was the bar frame as opposed to the full frame (just my preferences). Mine is model SV-5500.PC.B Bar Type. You can see the cabling and how easy it would be to replace the camera if anything ever happened to it.

If anybody is considering a backup camera, I would certainly consider checking the PlateCams out. I paid just over $120 Canadian by the time I got it to my door, including exchange, duties, delivery, etc. Less than half the cost of the Pioneer camera would have cost me at the time.