AVIC411.com

Grayed out buttons when editing music library?

Hi folks,

This is my first post here, as I just installed the AVIC-Z1 into my car with the brake bypass yesterday. So far, the thing is a joy. I've only run into a few minor troubles so far, one of which I can't seem to figure out by reading the manual or by using the search function. I have a feeling it is an easy solution that I'm overlooking, so I'm hoping someone can provide me with a quick answer. I've been putting on my burned CD-Rs onto my library, but of course most of the tags are completely off. I have no problem going in to edit them, however, but when I'm playing the song I want to edit, and then I click on the edit info button (the button to the left of the play/pause, and right underneath the previous track), I get brought to the screen that displays the track information, but the buttons are all grayed out (except the ESC, Back and Add to My Favorites buttons). Am I doing something wrong? Am I looking in the wrong place? This happens with every single one of the songs on my library. Has this happened to anyone else? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

-Marvin

I don't have a Z1, but I dont think you can edit the song you're playing.

Its the same thing if you try to edit the name of a song while you're playing it on the computer, it comes up with an error message. I think the same thing is happening, just instead of having an error message come up, Pioneer just doesnt let you do it.

Can you edit the name of a song if you're playing a different song?

Thanks for the quick replies guys.

I definitely wasn't recording anything while I was trying to edit the track names. In fact, while the drive is recording, it doesn't even give you the option of getting into that Edit screen, as that button (left of the play/pause, right under the previous track button) is grayed out while recording.

And in response to sportsfan, I don't think there is any way to edit song names without listening to the song, as you have to have it playing to bring up the screen with the button to edit tags.

I can't think of any other solutions. I wish I would have installed it without the brake bypass first to see if this problem was here then, as I'm thinking maybe its grayed out without the parking brake on, but since I have the bypass on, although it does read that the brake is on, it may have jumbled some things up with head unit.

Thanks for the suggestions so far. Anyone else care to take a stab at the problem?

You can edit the song while you listen to it. As long as you are not burning it or another disc, at the same time.

You must have been trying to edit it while you had a CD burning.

I just tried it again, and you can't change the name of the file while you're listening to it. It says the file is being used by another program and it wont let you do it.

And I highly doubt the bypass is the problem. The bypass would allow you to edit the songs if there was a lockout on the feature, it wouldn't stop it.

You can edit the song while you listen to it. As long as you are not burning it or another disc, at the same time.

You must have been trying to edit it while you had a CD burning.

I just tried it again, and you can't change the name of the file while you're listening to it. It says the file is being used by another program and it wont let you do it.

And I highly doubt the bypass is the problem. The bypass would allow you to edit the songs if there was a lockout on the feature, it wouldn't stop it.

So....how do you edit the tag info for one track while you're listening to another? He's not talking about on the computer, he's saying that you can do it on the Z1. In fact, I can't even think of a way to bring up the edit screen while NOT playing that particular song.

Anyone else have any solutions to my problem? This is getting real frustrating and is tarnishing an otherwise superb Z1 experience.

I had the same problem as you are describing here. And I noticed that when I selected by artist you cannot do any edits on the song. But if you select by album you can do all the edits in the world. Hopefully this helps.

Oh shit. You're absolutely right. I just tried this and it works. Don't know why the unit is so particular about such matters, but I don't care anymore, I can do my edits now.

Words cannot begin to describe how indebted to you I am.

I had the same problem as you are describing here. And I noticed that when I selected by artist you cannot do any edits on the song. But if you select by album you can do all the edits in the world. Hopefully this helps.

Oh shit. You're absolutely right. I just tried this and it works. Don't know why the unit is so particular about such matters, but I don't care anymore, I can do my edits now.

Words cannot begin to describe how indebted to you I am.

I had the same problem, I was trying to delete a track and the button wasn't there. Go in from album view and the button was there. Was strange, but at least I finally figured ti out. Glad someone helped you out since I just saw this.