AVIC411.com

I am seeing the same issue as well. It hasn't failed on directions yet, but it has failed for contacts and ipod. It appears to be boot related and weather you let the unit sit for a few seconds after boot. I will be testing this theory further.

I just got my z110 last week and have been having the same problem. I'll frequently have to power off the system and turn it back on in order for the VR to work properly for making phone calls. It seems that the word "Call" becomes unrecognizable during these failures. Also, as another posted noted, it will say "was was that" during these times... I'm pretty sure this is the only time I hear it used that specific phrase. It is highly annoying that VR is so temperamental on such a high end system. This is arguably one of the best head units on the market.... it seems like they could have put a little more work into beta testing this VR software. Also, as far a recognizing the thing I say, it is pretty weak. For example, no matter how hard I try or how clear I speak, I cannot get it to recognize the word chase (as in Chase Bank). It insists on pulling up all of the nearest Chili's when I say "find the nearst Chase Bank". This is but one example of many. Overall I am very satisfied, but the VR is pretty much useless to me until they patch it.

Thank God! I thought it was dem gremlins at it again, especially since the Z110BT is installed in a Lincoln LS, which can be an eccentric car at times (but I love it! :mrgreen: ) And you guys hit the nail right on the head - I always get "what was that?" responses during the failures. One other annoying issue is that sometimes instead of playing an album, it displays the songs on the album instead and of course the HU is no longer in VR mode - you have to manually select the first song to start off the album.

I'm not sure if this workaround has been posted elsewhere, but I stumbled across it today. It seems the VR for making phone calls is either functioning or not, and is boot dependent as was pointed out in a previous post. The failure appears to be that it loses the ability to recognize the word "Call". However, rather than rebooting the system, if you go to mode>phone>sync contacts (then click cancel if you have an iphone), it will briefly cycle and when the buttons come back up the VR will work again. Certainly not a fix, but it takes slightly less time than completely restarting the unit.

I've noticed that if I hit the OK on the agreement screen as soon as possible, VR seems to function normally. If you let it sit, that's when things start getting wonky. This is somewhat annoying given that the agreement screen does NOT come up by default if you did not shutdown with the nav screen active (as it is in my case when I am just driving around town - I usually shut it down on either the iPod or XM screens). You have to toggle over to nav mode, hit OK and then let the VR engine start up and idle for a few seconds before beginning to use it.

I just did some pretty thourgh testing on this based on the idea posted above and I think I've got it narrowed down. The short answer to this is, you must hit the "OK" button before BT connects or voice calling will fail. Now, after several starts and restarts I have concluded that you must hit the "OK" button, wait for the BT to connect, and then proceed to use the voice control. In my testing I also verified, at least with my unit, that after you hit the "OK" button, you must wait about 30 seconds before hitting the the voice button or the voice sysetem will completly fail to work at all and the unit will have to be rebooted in order to clear the problem. So, hit the "OK" button, let BT connect, (which takes about 30 seconds by the way) and the voice call system should work flaulessly. Please feel free to add your findings if theynare different. The results I got may be specific to my unit only. Thanks to WHOBEDAPLAYA for the tip above.

• 1 month later...

hmmm.... I haven't been able to duplicate this. At least, not to the point that the unit needs a reboot, as the VR seems to boot regardless...

I let my truck warm up for about 10 minutes prior to leaving for work in the morning...

I've left the screen on Ipod screen, and after traveling about 5 miles, I realized that VR didn't work... I then hit Mode, and saw the nag screen and then remembered about this thread. But my phone paired up and VR came back within 2-3 minutes...

I've done this 3 times so far, with the same results. Although, now knowing about it, I purposely leave it in map mode when I shut the truck down for the night.

But even then, I reach in to crank/warm up my truck, I don't press OK till I'm ready to leave(10 min later), in which my phone connects shortly after getting in and pressing OK. I will definitely test some more as well...

I do however, have a question about not being able to use VR to respond to changing the source to my HD radio tuner(GEX-P20HD). Even if I get it to the point where it lists all my options... It still does not understand "Digital Radio"...

I am seeing the same issue as well. It hasn't failed on directions yet, but it has failed for contacts and ipod. It appears to be boot related and weather you let the unit sit for a few seconds after boot. I will be testing this theory further.

Exactly what i experienced few days back. It helped sometimes to Try help making a call and then call name or number but it worked only in 30% of times.

I just did some pretty thourgh testing on this based on the idea posted above and I think I've got it narrowed down. The short answer to this is, you must hit the "OK" button before BT connects or voice calling will fail. Now, after several starts and restarts I have concluded that you must hit the "OK" button, wait for the BT to connect, and then proceed to use the voice control. In my testing I also verified, at least with my unit, that after you hit the "OK" button, you must wait about 30 seconds before hitting the the voice button or the voice sysetem will completly fail to work at all and the unit will have to be rebooted in order to clear the problem. So, hit the "OK" button, let BT connect, (which takes about 30 seconds by the way) and the voice call system should work flaulessly. Please feel free to add your findings if theynare different. The results I got may be specific to my unit only. Thanks to WHOBEDAPLAYA for the tip above.

This worked for me and now that i'm seeing i'm not the only one. I have to just remember to shut it off on map screen.

I will also try to see if following helps when i hear what was that :?::oops: next time

if you go to mode>phone>sync contacts (then click cancel if you have an iphone), it will briefly cycle and when the buttons come back up the VR will work again

Just a quick question for those that VR doesn't ever come back... Do you leave your IPod hooked up, or do you plug it in every time you get into the car? Or if you even use an IPod? What generation/firmware?

I'm not trying to be retarded or anything...just the process of elimination.... The more info we can fire at Pioneer, the better/quicker the fix....

The Nag screen has always been a PITA... It was the same way with my previous Z3... but I always kept the screen on vehicle dynamics view... so I always had to press OK.... But even if on IPod or HDD, it would still fire the voice command "engine" as well as the BT would connect(although alot slower than this unit)

I've grown to hit the OK button out of habit with the Z3... And I'm sure others could do the same... Of course, I'd rather to not have to do it... But if required by law, then I would think that it would be an easy fix for Pioneer to just add it to all views.... dunno?