AVIC411.com

Changing D1 LEDs

Has anyone ever attempted this? I did a quick search but got no results. I understand that the D1 needs to be taken apart in order for the LED's to be switched from green to another colour but has anyone even attempted to take it apart and see what kind of LED's are lighting up the panel?

Just curious.. I want to attempt to change all of the LED's on my D1 to blue..

They are SMD LEDs. Not sure the size, but replacing them would be similar to replacing LEDs in cell phone keypads. I don't know if people still do that, but back in the old days when monochrome Nokia cell phones were popular, people used to change the LED color of the keypad and LCD. There were lots of tutorials on how to do it. Changing the LEDs in a D1/D2 would be similar. Search Google, there might be sites out there explaining how it's done.

I think removal would be easiest with 2 soldering irons, one on each side of the LED. Installation would probably be easier.

I had a friend that attempted the Nokia LED color change many years ago and screwed up some traces on his phone, so only do this if you don't mind screwing up your HU!

• 2 months later...

I took apart a D1 and a D2 facepanel today (not related to LED change) and have fun with this one, if you decide to change the LED's. Getting the face apart isn't a problem, soldering new LEDS on would be, they are really small. And yeah, I about went crazy trying to put the face back together on this thing once it was out. Damn impossible short ribbon cable for the face buttons will drive yah nuts.

Chris.

They are SMD LEDs. Not sure the size, but replacing them would be similar to replacing LEDs in cell phone keypads. I don't know if people still do that, but back in the old days when monochrome Nokia cell phones were popular, people used to change the LED color of the keypad and LCD. There were lots of tutorials on how to do it. Changing the LEDs in a D1/D2 would be similar. Search Google, there might be sites out there explaining how it's done.

I think removal would be easiest with 2 soldering irons, one on each side of the LED. Installation would probably be easier.

I had a friend that attempted the Nokia LED color change many years ago and screwed up some traces on his phone, so only do this if you don't mind screwing up your HU!

It looks like they're 0603 LEDs (so the same size as the Nokia) ones, and there are 21 green ones and 4 blue ones.

Maybe someday when I'm feeling stupid I'll try to swap out the green ones for red. (I, too, used to mod Nokia phones :))

-b

• 2 months later...