AVIC411.com

Interference/ticking noise from iPhone through speakers

I am sure you all are familiar with the "ticking noise" you hear from your computer speakers or your TV when a nearby cell phone is about to ring or is receiving data?

We have a customer that is complaining that ever since we installed her Z110BT she is getting this sound through her car speakers. She insists that it didnt do this with the factory VW radio. (2008 Touareg)

We told her there is probably nothing we can do but she did not like this answer so I thought I'd take a shot to see if anyone knows of a possible solution. Is there anything that can be done? Is there something that can be insulated or protected from interferences? Is it a function of the headunit or she speakers?

If anyone has any suggestions please post them.

Thanks

Unfortunately I don't think there is anything that can be done. It is inherent that this happens when you have a device that constantly attempts to download data. I haven't had a big problem with this with my setup. It is likely it is the phone attempting to download new emails from here email server to her phone. If it is an option for her, you might want to suggest she turn email push to the MANUAL setting on the iPhone. She will still be able to get email, it just wont auto download without her downloading it manually. Also having the phone very close to the unit can at times cause interference. It may actually be a fault with the way the unit is made and therefor there will be no solution. You may want to get her into another unit but I doubt there will be a difference with another manufactures unit. I had the same issue with my DNX8120, 9140 and my F90BT when I had those units. She may not have had that issue with her OEM unit, but she didn't have the features she now has with the Z. Always remind your customer of that if they start screaming about returning it and going back to the OEM unit.

Other than not putting my IPhone in Airplane Mode, while having it hooked up to the IPod interface, I've never had this issue....

You need to find out where her phone is.... Or where she puts her purse when she's in the car.... I know 3M does make a tape that insulates from electronic emanation... If you can figure out if she's putting her phone near any amplifier or speakers...etc...

I always have my phone in my left pocket, and I don't have this noise....

If she is using an Iphone, unfortunately I don't think turning off push email would help, as I've seen my IPhone still get data without any mail set up... I think the stock and weather apps may pull data as well... also probably other carrier related stuff as well...

• 3 weeks later...