AVIC411.com

MP3 on DVD? Hardware? Software?

Its the same drive/laser assembly thats been in all the other Pioneer stuff for years that don't do mp3 on DVD. They used a more modern one in the 7800DVD this year and do on the D3 next year. Software can't overcome a four year DVD player

i dont see how it would be hardware if it can read DVD's and read Mp3's it stands to reason with the right software implemenatation it should be able to read mp3 dvd's with a firmware/software update.
Its the same drive/laser assembly thats been in all the other Pioneer stuff for years that don't do mp3 on DVD. They used a more modern one in the 7800DVD this year and do on the D3 next year. Software can't overcome a four year DVD player

i dont see how it would be hardware if it can read DVD's and read Mp3's it stands to reason with the right software implemenatation it should be able to read mp3 dvd's with a firmware/software update.

I don't think it's a hardware thing. The DVD drive is just reading files off the disk. There is no difference between VOB files and MP3 files except for the software to decode the video files and I would bet money that the firmware in the DVD drive itself if not doing the converting. I'm betting it's software in the unit maybe on the hard drive. I don't know why they don't let it read MP3's off the DVD, they can read it off the CD.

I have burned mp3s to DVD and they work fine in my Z1 without any modifications... I used Roxio Media Creator 8 to burn the DVD using the Audio DVD option. If you want I can post instructions.

You are correct, however what Roxio is doing is creating a video DVD disc and converting the audio to a PCM stream. Not the same as a data DVD with MP3's on it. To see what we mean burn a data CD with MP3's on it (at least 100MB worth) and stick it in your Z1. You will see that you can navigate that disc and play MP3's. Try the same on a data DVD (without using Roxios special feature) and it won't work.

That disc that Roxio spits out will play in any dvd player, which is cool but it has limitations. I do like that it displays graphics and album art however.

• 1 month later...
When you use the Roxio software....does the Z1 read the artist & title information so it can be filed in the library?
If you're asking about MP3-CDs or Audio-DVD, nope. If you want to put music in the library, it has to be off of a Audio CD or CD-R/RW. MP3-CDs and DVD-Audio will not record to the library no matter what program you use. Sad but true.

If you're asking about Audio CD-Rs, yes and no, unless you're making a 1:1 copy of an original. If you're using MP3s to make an Audio CD-R, most programs will write CD-Text if you select it and the information is available on the MP3 tags. If your MP3s are tagged with this information and you opt to burn the CD-R with CD-Text, when you insert the disc into your Z1, it will display the CD-Text. In the meantime, your CD will be recording to the library with album title, artist name and track titles transferred from the CD-Text but it will not transfer the genre even if it was tagged on the MP3. It will also not allow you to play a track using the voice command unless your CD was a 1:1 copy of an original. Alternatively though, you can manually select a genre and spell out the track title to "teach" the Z1 how to pronounce the track. This is also useful for Hip-Hop albums where ebonics is used on the track titles (no pun intended). For example, if the track's title is "Rollin" you would type it out as "Row Lin" so the Z1 will understand your voice command. This was kind of long but I hope it helped.

• 2 months later...

vandamme23 didnt know what he was doing. He wasnt burning a dvd filled with mp3s, he was converting the mp3s to wav files and then burning that onto a dvd. That is the difference between a data dvd and an audio dvd. The audio dvd will only hold about 6 times more than a regular cd.

I know a lot of the new players will play DVDs with MP3 files copied to them. I used Itunes to do just that yesterday and it worked fine with my D3. 452 songs, 4.5 Gig, 1.5 days worth. You can look at the DVD on the PC and see that all of the MP3s fall under their appropriate artist's folder and album subfolder. When you put a DVD into the writer and try to copy the playlist in Itunes, it comes up and asks you to verify that you want to copy files to a DVD vs CD. Make sure you have selected MP3 as the file type under Preferences/Burning.

The only issue I have is that it's not easy to scroll to a particular artist and the shuffle doesn't seem to work. I'm going to copy all of the MP3s to a temp directory and then burn them to a new DVD without folder information. That way shuffle should work and I should also be able to search by song title.

• 2 months later...