AVIC411.com

***UPDATES FOR THE MUCH NEEDED Z110BT? ANYTIME SOON?***

Ok so I finally just got my Z110BT installed last night and had some time to mess with it a little. After seeing all the responses from people I too am eagerly awaiting an upgrade! I can't believe Iam saying that...1 day after installing the thing! I won't complain too much but the testers at Pioneer really dropped the ball in my opinion on this "Flagship" for their lineup. I saw the video of the newly released AVIC-X920BT which is supposedly one notch lower then the AVIC Z110BT when you visit Pioneers site. Shoot the site itself is very VERY misleading showing you the key features of the new AVIC-X920BT right next to the AVIC Z110BT! Which the Z does not have those features! lol. So please Pioneer step up to the plate and upgrade your flagship with at least the user interface of the newer AVIC-X920BT.

Here is direct link to Pioneers site showing the "misleading page" (the 2 features, MusicSphere and EcoRouting to the left the Z doesn't come with (unless someone knows something I don't

http://www.pioneerelectronics.com/PUSA/Products/CarAudioVideo/In-Dash/GPS-Navigation-Systems#section=overview

Now here is a link of the "lower line model with the new improved user interface and features!"

http://www.pioneerelectronics.com/PUSA/Products/CarAudioVideo/In-Dash/GPS-Navigation-Systems/AVIC-X920BT

Ok so on to the things Iam not too happy with lol (I say this jokingly with a sarcastic smile)

1) The maps...purely outdated like many have complained about! Come on..totally unacceptable! What am I still gonna have to bring along my lousy $100 Tom Tom for navigation cause my $1000 navigation head unit can't find roads? NOT RIGHT!

2) The USB/SD user interface cuts off the song titles after only about 15 characters. I can only make out the name of the band and then like the first 5 letters of the title...that's it. It is a guessing game as to what song Iam going to find. Not cool. You should be able to pull the bar over more to reveal more of the song title. But you can't.

3) To date, I haven't been able to have the thing do a single command via voice. I say one thing, the unit does another. I say "play Breaking Benjamin, show me a sign" it comes back saying "Am source selected" Yeh that is top of the line voice recognition there. I dunno, I mean shoot if a Ford Focus stock can do this why can't Pioneer?

So far Iam split in my thoughts. I like the unit for what it can do but not too happy with what it should and can't. I really would like to see some improvements and hopefully soon. I show my vette and would be almost embarrassed to have someone in it and have the thing not be able to navigate or can't even find song cause it doesn't show have the title to it! When and if the update becomes available, am I happy I am going to have to shell out more $$$$ for Pioneers lack of quality to make something that works correctly? No not too happy. I do understand thought that at the time last year when the unit came out that this is more then likely all that was available at the time, but seeing the new user interface is out, available in a lower line product, and appears to correct and make better some of these key complaints of the Z110BT ...well that just frustrates the hell out of me.

So bottom line: anyone know when the BT120 (although pioneer denies it's existence) or the firmware/software upgrade may be available?

The USB interface does leave something to be desired, which is why most use an iPod - the interface is much better with an iPod, try that.

Voice control doesnt work with USB, only iPods. Also, you cant do song titles. Check your manual, gives some tips there on how to use it. Works pretty slick.

Ok so I finally just got my Z110BT installed last night and had some time to mess with it a little. After seeing all the responses from people I too am eagerly awaiting an upgrade! I can't believe Iam saying that...1 day after installing the thing! I won't complain too much but the testers at Pioneer really dropped the ball in my opinion on this "Flagship" for their lineup. I saw the video of the newly released AVIC-X920BT which is supposedly one notch lower then the AVIC Z110BT when you visit Pioneers site. Shoot the site itself is very VERY misleading showing you the key features of the new AVIC-X920BT right next to the AVIC Z110BT! Which the Z does not have those features! lol. So please Pioneer step up to the plate and upgrade your flagship with at least the user interface of the newer AVIC-X920BT.

Here is direct link to Pioneers site showing the "misleading page" (the 3 features pictured to the left the Z doesn't come with!

http://www.pioneerelectronics.com/PUSA/Products/CarAudioVideo/In-Dash/GPS-Navigation-Systems#section=overview

Now here is a link of the "lower line model with the new improved user interface and features!"

http://www.pioneerelectronics.com/PUSA/Products/CarAudioVideo/In-Dash/GPS-Navigation-Systems/AVIC-X920BT

Ok so on to the things Iam not too happy with lol (I say this jokingly with a sarcastic smile)

1) The maps...purely outdated like many have complained about! Come on..totally unacceptable! What am I still gonna have to bring along my lousy $100 Tom Tom for navigation cause my $1000 navigation head unit can't find roads? NOT RIGHT!

2) The USB/SD user interface cuts off the song titles after only about 15 characters. I can only make out the name of the band and then like the first 5 letters of the title...that's it. It is a guessing game as to what song Iam going to find. Not cool. You should be able to pull the bar over more to reveal more of the song title. But you can't.

3) To date, I haven't been able to have the thing do a single command via voice. I say one thing, the unit does another. I say "play Breaking Benjamin, show me a sign" it comes back saying "Am source selected" Yeh that is top of the line voice recognition there. I dunno, I mean shoot if a Ford Focus stock can do this why can't Pioneer?

So far Iam split in my thoughts. I like the unit for what it can do but not too happy with what it should and can't. I really would like to see some improvements and hopefully soon. I show my vette and would be almost embarrassed to have someone in it and have the thing not be able to navigate or can't even find song cause it doesn't show have the title to it! When and if the update becomes available, am I happy I am going to have to shell out more $$$$ for Pioneers lack of quality to make something that works correctly? No not too happy. I do understand thought that at the time last year when the unit came out that this is more then likely all that was available at the time, but seeing the new user interface is out, available in a lower line product, and appears to correct and make better some of these key complaints of the Z110BT ...well that just frustrates the hell out of me.

So bottom line: anyone know when the BT120 (although pioneer denies it's existence) or the firmware/software upgrade may be available?

As stated on this forum many times now, sometime this summer, probably May. So the new features in the X are coming to the Z, so relax. However none of the other things you complain about are going to change. You will get new maps. But every navi system has errors in the mapping software. Nothing is perfect. I used this unit for almost a year and the nav, regardless of how outdated the maps were, never steered me wrong. And although the VR has about a 20% failure rate when telling it something the first time, it still works very well. I never had anywhere close to the issues you are describing. Did you read through the forums about the map OK issue. If you didn't then you have more to learn. Just read through the forums and take a deep breath. The unit is not that bad.

Well gonna try the Ipod hookup...man they don't give cables away! $52 for it at BestBuy. I needed it in a hurry and couldn't wait, otherwise they can be found for around $40 plus shipping. Another gotcha from Pioneer lol. Why in the world did they make the cable 2 feet long!? That is barely enough cable to make it to my glovebox nevermind the center console. So yeh....needed an adapter for the USB. Another $34 for that cable. OUCH almost $90 in cables. Iam hoping that the VR will come back like it is posted it should via the Ipod. Plus hoping the titles show up. I have taken my deep breath...now just got to pray this works.

The female end of the USB cable that the iPod cable plugs into is like 3-4 feet long. That should give you plenty of length.

Yeh I just figured that out by looking at the diagrams...man good thing I saw that now! At least now I can return the extension cable I bought. I already ran the USB cord to my center console so now looks like I just plug the Ipod interface cable into it and should be good to go. Do ya happen to know if you can connect more then one USB device through a USB splitter? I would still like to keep the benefit of my thumb drive but also want to use the Ipod. Being they use the same cable and USB port, right now I can only hook up one.

Be sure you also hook the AV section of the iPod cable to the AV in one the USB cable. Also there is a thread I stickied in the troubleshooting forum that discusses using a USB hub. It is possible but doesn't seem to be very practical.

This forum is great and it was an immense help for me installing this unit. Until now I've been a lurker, but I just have to weigh in on comments that are repeatedly made about the navigation and maps on this unit. Time and again I've heard "well every unit has problems." Wrong. Just plain wrong. I've not been to every corner of this vast country, but rest assured, my Garmin unit (owned several) NEVER does me wrong wherever I am - right out of the box. NEVER do I doubt the destination or address. EVER. On the contrary, out of the box, the Z110BT was over a 1/2 mile off on my house (which has been on my street since 1942. Some neigboring houses it can find accurately, some it cannot. It has the same problem with MANY addresses. Some it can find, some it cannot, and they can be adjoining addresses. AND there what's with this calibration and speed pulse (both of which are properly connected? Don't need to do that for a Garmin unit - "it just works". Let me just reiterate Garmin unit is spot-on without fail, has a vastly superior look and feel, and cost less than $200. The Z110BT is a feature rich unit. As an A/V/BT/Nav unit it may be one of the best out there. Just taking it on it's navigation features, maps, and accuracy - it just plain sucks!

Your garmin doesn't have a huge screen, play CDs, DVDs, USB, AM/FM, ipod, etc. The point is that there is nothing that does everything you want perfectly because it would cost an outrageous amount of money. If you like Garmin that much, return the Z and get a Kenwood. Then come back and tell us all the things you don't like about the Kenwood

P.S. The nav works great where I live

Yea I have said it before. The Z never steered me wrong on the navi. It lacked features I wanted but what it does have worked. It will be between a couple of houses to a block off on address search but I was able to use my brain to get me the rest of the way. It certainly could be better and the Kenwood unit I just got is better on the navi. But not so much that I made my decision on that fact alone. This unit will get you to your destination regardless if its spot on.

It certainly could be better and the Kenwood unit I just got is better on the navi. But not so much that I made my decision on that fact alone.

So did you decide to keep the DNX-9960, and if so, why?

I came from a old Kenwood DNX-7100 to the Z110BT myself, and I'm not very happy.

1) I miss the traffic map display....the Z has it's own version if you take the map out to 1 or 5 mile, but it's not the same, and much harder to read. Also, the Kenwood gave me audio ("traffic ahead") and visual warning about traffic problems ahead, even when no route had been entered. That's nice driving around in a city like Los Angeles.

2) Bluetooth on the Z has been worthless to me. Even after changing out the microphone to the Garmin mic and moving it to various locations, everyone complains how I sound. Luckily with the PAC OS-4 and SWC modules I was able to turn off the Z's BT and just use the factory BT module, which sounds fantastic. Of course, now I have to enter BT voice tags for all my numbers, and I can no longer voice dial from a synced phone.

3) iPod music keeps playing even when you change sources. This was confirmed by Pioneer tech support, and didn't happen on the Kenwood. How hard is it to send a pause signal to the Ipod???

4) Lastly, I cannot get the Z110BT to pick up iPod movies where they last left off. Every time I stop the car and my kid is watching a movie on the rear display, the movie starts all over again once I fire the Z110BT back up. The Kenwood never did that.

For all these reason I am interested in the DNX-9960, and VERY interested in your expert opinion.

TIA!