AVIC411.com

Modify Your F-Series Base OS and Registry

Good news !

Incredibly enough (with the help of a friend pressing various buttons on the front panel + reset) I managed to get into the flash menu and flahsed the 2.0 version .bin

Chuck: You can't really make a complete backup of the AVIC as it is. You need to copy "My Flash Disk" and get the .img and .chk from the last firmware you flashed to it. In my case its AVIC-F500BT_Firmware_Update_2.006000.zip

There might be a way to get it off from the AVIC, I recall there used to be a WinCE/Mobile app that dumped the rom to an SD-CARD, will try to see if i can find it for you. But the easiest is getting the firmware from Pioneer (or here if you used any of the "unofficial" ones.

BTW, altho i did not use either of the posts you said the info inside was great reading so thanks for that :)

Good for you my friend :D .

I am just wondering why do you want to go back to FW 2.0 :?: . Your problem has nothing to do with the FW version.

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

For anyone who doesn't just want to use the avic-modder, I can also just post my personal cooked image for my F500. It includes .net cf 2.0, some extra drivers, and auto launches leet launcher and core player since we mainly use it for music. It also removes the driver for the power button which prevents it from shutting down all the way when you turn your car off. I then have an app I wrote (also included and auto-launched in the image) that polls the power and hibernates when it detects a change in power state (car turned off). Works well...

EEGeek: I'd love to have it, as my firmware hacking skills left a lot to be desired. At least as a starting point, chances are that i'll just change some settings and change the iGo skin to the one i like diMka HD and leave it at that.

I was just now thinking about putting leet launcher in the Flash and run it and iGo from there. Leaving Garmin XT on the SD (i use it when i travel as the rest of the country is too basic in the iGo maps).

Chuck88: Thanks : )

I "went back" to 2.0 cos AFAIK its the newest official one. After the scare i had i wanted it back to the way it was originally.

I am having some small issues tho, volume knob is not working i can only control the volume by software. And also no backlight control its stuck full on. and i like the auto-dimming at night of this skin.

Chuck88: Thanks : )

I "went back" to 2.0 cos AFAIK its the newest official one. After the scare i had i wanted it back to the way it was originally.

I am having some small issues tho, volume knob is not working i can only control the volume by software. And also no backlight control its stuck full on. and i like the auto-dimming at night of this skin.

Yeah you might be just right (on the 2.0 FW), as I seem always forgot the MOD in this thread is for the portable F500 owners :oops: .

EEGeek: please make sure that when posting your mod images, state that it is ONLY FOR F500. Lot of newbies don't make the difference and would end up like in Ristol's adventure. Thanks for sharing ...

Ok I failed twice over the weekend to update the F500 to 3.0 :oops: ... now that i know i can still get into the flash menu I have the courage to keep on playing.

So EEGeek, could you post a quick guide on how you did yours ? (maybe on a new separate thread) I am guessing i am starting with the wrong codebase for it. Which one did you get the files and the .bin file from? I am using this one:

AVIC_X-Series_Firmware_Update which i got from a post here.

And your tool to edit the .bin.

Any help would be appreciated.

Ok I failed twice over the weekend to update the F500 to 3.0 :oops: ... now that i know i can still get into the flash menu I have the courage to keep on playing.

So EEGeek, could you post a quick guide on how you did yours ? (maybe on a new separate thread) I am guessing i am starting with the wrong codebase for it. Which one did you get the files and the .bin file from? I am using this one:

AVIC_X-Series_Firmware_Update which i got from a post here.

And your tool to edit the .bin.

Any help would be appreciated.

I'm pretty sure I pulled the image off of my unit directly, don't remember exactly how. It worked for me and I haven't had many comments on here in a while so I haven't been messing with it much lately; just been enjoying my modified image.

I paid for the 3.0 update when it came out so mine started from 3.0.

Ok, I just went and found a random image laying around and posted it online for you: http://www.mediafire.com/file/tuijnxmg2yi/just%20for%20testing.zip

I don't know exactly what's in it, but it's based off of 3.0. This doesn't obviously change the applications and whatnot (the bulk of the 3.0 update); it's only the windows image.

What this image PROBABLY has in it:

no power button driver (makes it not hard shutdown unit when you turn your car off)

my hiberate daemon autostarts (senses a change in the power state and hibernates unit when car turns off)

drivers included for Standback engine control unit

.NET Compact Framework 2.0 is installed in this image

It attempts to launch leetlauncher and core player at startup, but I think I didn't include them in the image; it must point to the SD card to launch them. Well, this image is just for test/play anyways!

I'll help you with anything you need. Just let me know. I'll even cook you up rom if your scared to use my app.

Another note: seeing as I removed the power button driver from the Windows image, the power button isn't usable from a WINDOWS PERSPECTIVE. It still works to turn the unit on, bring it out of standby, or hard reset via holding it down. These are all hardware interrupts that function without that driver. The one ability you lose, is the ability to hit the button while the unit is running and have it turn off or standby. That means you either have to turn the car off (or disconnect ext power) or hold the button down if you really want to manually turn it off. I never have to do this though, just turn car off and unit sleeps, turn car on, it comes back. It even continues playing music if it was when you turned the car off. I think it's AWESOME if I do say so... :)

I didn't know the 3.0 update was for sale :oops:

But probably its too "expensive" for me, seeing as I don't live in the US so I don't need the map update, just software (can you buy only the SW upgrade?)

I had read the engine management thread, and was wondering if your interface would work in my car, seeing its a twin turbo BMW an X5 3.0D :wink: so i guess not, but it is twin-turbo and BMW !

Going away for 3 days today and will be using the GPS a lot so i wont update it until i get back. But what you did with the power is similar to what i wanted. I wanted a quick press to sleep a long press to reset, but i think yours will do perfectly.

I'll let you know how everything works out in a few days.

Thanks for everything :D

Hi EEGeek,

I'm trying to add Korean Font to WinCEIMG and I'm not having much success with it. I have following registry entries and font file. It seems that total size was too big. Is it possible that you could help me with it?

Thanks,

REGEDIT4

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\FontLink]

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\FontLink\SkipTable]

"Tahoma"="005c,00a5,007e,0391-03c9,2026,2116,221a,25a0-25ff"

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\FontLink\SystemLink]

"Symbol"="\\My Flash Disk\\Data\\Mappyfon.ttf,SKCC_Gothic"

"Courier New"="\\My Flash Disk\\Data\\Mappyfon.ttf,SKCC_Gothic"

"Tahoma"="\\My Flash Disk\\Data\\Mappyfon.ttf,SKCC_Gothic"

"Times New Roman"="\\My Flash Disk\\Data\\Mappyfon.ttf,SKCC_Gothic"

"Arial"="\\My Flash Disk\\Data\\Mappyfon.ttf,SKCC_Gothic"

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\GDI]

"FontLinkMethods"=dword:00000001

I'm getting this message.

"The generated binary registry file (default.fdf) is bigger than the original, remove items from the registry and try again".

You would have to remove some registry entries from the original (Pioneer) to make space for your new entries as the original file almost reached its limit in size. I believe it is safe to remove some modem-related registry entries. Search for those in this forum.

Yes, I figured out late last night. I removed IE zone settings as I wouldn't be using any internet connection. :)

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Internet Settings\Zones\3]

It worked out great! Now, I don't have to worry about booting to TestMode to install Korean fonts. YaHooo!!! :D

Now, I have to modify x710BT WinCEIMG. :P

Thanks, EEGeek!!!!

Yes, I figured out late last night. I removed IE zone settings as I wouldn't be using any internet connection. :)

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Internet Settings\Zones\3]

It worked out great! Now, I don't have to worry about booting to TestMode to install Korean fonts. YaHooo!!! :D

Now, I have to modify x710BT WinCEIMG. :P

Thanks, EEGeek!!!!

Hey ndy4eva, please do share your progress on the X710BT works, as many forum users will benefit from that.

Thanks in advance!