AVIC411.com

X920BT And Voice Recognition For Making Phone Call

I am a long time member of this forum, but rarely make posts. I just installed an X920BT and am having problems making phone calls through the VR system. I connected my iphone 3G and successfully transfered my contacts (480 of them), but when I try to make a phone call via the VR system, it pretends that it doesn't understand what I am saying. I try "call Kevin" and it says it doesn't understand. I try "make a call" and it says it doesn't understand. But when I try "find the nearest McDonalds" it quickly gives me a display of the nearest McDonalds.

The funny thing is that my VR won't catalog my Ipod either (4,000 songs). When I say "play an artist", it brings up the artist list. But when I say "play Dave Mathews" or "play pearl jam" it says it doesn't understand.

So I figured that it must be taking forever to catalog my contacts and songs via VR, but after 20 minutes, still no luck.

So I changed the settings on my phone so that it only ports over my "favorite contacts" on my Iphone. Now there are roughly 50 contacts registered with the X920. After doing that, it almost immediately responds to my commands to call those on my contact list.

Is there a way to speed up VR catalog? I played with the bluetooth settings on my iphone and turned off the ability to sync contacts (after successfully downloading my contacts for the first time) but that didn't work. I also turned off VR for the Ipod after allowing it to download my artists for the first time, but that also didn't work.

Has anybody else had this problem? What can I do to fix it? Or is the system unable to catalog that much info rapidly?

I really appreciate all your help.

Are you making sure you are on the map screen when you boot the unit? Do you hit the map OK button on the screen before BT connects? If not, make sure you do that and then report back as to weather that solves the problem.

Thanks VBLUE42! That seemed to be the trick. Works great. But do I need to make sure its in map mode everytime I boot up?

This is quite an anoying bug. Is there a way to fix this other than a software update?

Again, I can't really express how much I appreciate the advice.

There is no way to fix it without a software update. That bug is left over from the Z110BT's navi and we hoped it would get fixed with the new 120 upgrade but you are the first to verify that it is still present. Sense the 110, 920 and the 120 run the same navi software, it is apparent it will still be a problem with the 120 as well. Anyway thank you for verifying that for me and yes, you will need to make sure you hit that OK button before the BT connects every time if you want to use VR affectively. I just got into the habit of leaving off on the map screen so the OK button was the first thing I saw when I started my unit. It is a pain but necessary.

Hey all,

I just got the X920 installed in my vehicle a few days ago. I encountered the same issue with cataloging time - after a few minutes of starting up the car, VR does not seem to be able to access the contacts. Though it can understand navigation and multimedia commands, it says it doesn't understand if I try to phone someone. Today, I just found out what this problem was. It seems to be a matter of allowing enough time to catalog the entries. I transferred about 480 contacts today after getting a new BlackBerry, and it took about 25 minutes before it understood VR commands for phone calls. Even after the initial catalog time, it also seems to take a few minutes after starting the car each time before I can access contacts and VR commands for the phone.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm having the same problem with my new X920BT but only with music files. VR works fine for making calls but seemingly doesn't recognize any artists, albums or songs. If I say "shuffle" it will recognize that and shuffle play. If I say "Play" it will ask me whether I want an artist, album or track and it recognizes my response there but no matter what album, artist or track I say, it says that it doesn't understand.

Admittedly, I do have a ton of music; about 112GBs on an iPod so perhaps it just needs a very long time to catalog it all? I am making sure that I'm on the map screen when I turn the car off and that I press the "Ok" button right after starting up. Anybody got any other ideas?

Rob

I have a 5th gen iPod. I disconnected it last night, took it in the house and updated it with some new music. This morning I plugged it back into the x920bt and allowed it to fully catalog while I was driving to work. It catalogued about 115GB in around 15-20 minutes and then the VR worked much better. I'm thinking it must have been in the midst of cataloging and gotten cut off part way through and this was causing the problem. It's now working much better although it still seems to mis-understand me relatively often. Before however, it would just come back with a message saying that it didn't understand. Now it just comes back with an artist, song, album or playlist that I didn't want. If this is as good as it gets, I'm still pretty happy considering everything else this thing does. I'm sure I'll get better at pronouncing things the way the x920bt wants to hear them too :)

Rob

• 1 month later...
I have a 5th gen iPod. ..... It catalogued about 115GB in around 15-20 minutes and then the VR worked much better. .....

Yeah - I also would like to know what 5th gen iPod (that was the iPod video, right?) allow you to have have 115GB of music on it?

As far as I know (and according to Apple: http://support.apple.com/kb/ht1353) the 5th Gen have the max size of 60GB, as the one that I have....LOL

The thing that gets me about making VR phone calls is that I have to say the last name first.

"Call Joe Blow, Cell" doesn't work, but "Call Blow, Joe, Cell" does.

Maybe it's the way I structured my iPhone contacts, but I don't think so. Unless you just use first names on the iPhone I don't see any way around this.