AVIC411.com

Where are all of the street names?!?

I just changed from an Eclipse Nav unit to the Pioneer Z120. So far the Pioneer is great in many different ways, especially the voice commands (when they work...its a PITA to click OK prior to the bluetooth).

My main concern is with the navigation, most of the street names are missing. On the Eclipse all of the street names were there, which is very nice and a LARGE portion of what I use the nav for. WIth the street names on the Nav I can see what is coming up for quite a distance without having to slow down for street signs.

The Pioneer has VERY FEW street names listed, making the nav almost useless for my everyday use.

Is there a way to show all of the street names???

Nope. I found that the zoom options provide a different amount of street names, and stick with .5 I think. Apparently this is not a TeleAtlas thing, but a Pioneer thing.

Agreed - not sure if it's in the Z120 upgrade - but one of the biggest weaknesses is a lack of street names (unless you are zoomed in).

Second on my list is lack of a view of the actual road you are on in many areas (if you are zoomed out to even 1M) - in our 5 mile by 2 mile neighborhood, you cannot see the street It (meaning there is no line for a road - only blank space) you are driving on (a 4 lane divided highway) without zooming to .5.....

It is very surprising what does not exist in most high-end GPS applications (Pioneer, JVC, Kenwood). It makes me long (only a bit) for my last Chinese thing that ran the latest iGO (or Garmin - or whatever you want), and could be customized (WinCE - which really is what we are running)....

I agree, a $99 garmin is better in this respect. :lol:

Even if I zoom in the names are VERY limited. I don't know why Pioneer limits its ability to see the names, they are certainly in the nav unit, Eclipse does a great job on this aspect.

Hello, Pioneer, are you listening? :shock:

My guess is this is to reduce crowding on the screen. My DNX9960 with the latest Garmin nav works the same way. It actually makes sense to me though I would like to see all the names as well. However, this will not affect weather the unit gets you where you wont to go or not.

Yes, the unit will still get me where I want to go.

Although, as I said in the original post, often times I use the nav to see the upcoming street names if I am only going a few blocks and dont want to go through the hassle of inputing the destination.

I the Eclipse has all of the names, without crowding the screen, it can be done successfully. An option for name detail would be great.

• 2 weeks later...

I'v had the same complaint since I switched from an older Kenwood to the Z110. All in all I think the Z110 is a great unit, but I agree that if a 3" screen on a handheld Nav or a cell phone can clearly display every street name (and much more accurately in the area I live), I'm at a loss as to why an in-dash unit with a 7" screen only shows a few street names.

I still love the Z110, and like what I see with the Z120 upgrade, but I hope future upgrades focus on the Nav.

• 4 months later...

I just took a long drive with the unit on Sat. I had it zoomed in to the .1 level and it constantly showed the roads I was on off to the left. (The unit has been calibrating for more than 1000 miles)

Drove across the bay bridge with the arrow on the water the entire way. Tried to go a short distance in Redwood city and the nav couldn't even figure out where it was or which way it was going. Kept having me turn on wrong streets, telling me to turn now when in fact it meant the street two up from now. Finally gave up, killed the destination and went back to just driving. Once I zoomed out the arrow finally "landed" on a road instead of showing me driving through folks' yards. At the start of the trip it plotted a course and then told me to go a different way. I ignored it and eventually it recalculated and put me back on the roads it showed as the route to start with. Not impressed.