AVIC411.com

I have a hard time tuning my EQ. With the Wide1-2/Narrow1-2. I usually start with the flat option then go from there. Some songs sound great, others sound like crap. The main problem is I always get stuck with either really sharp S's or a muffled sound. Is there a base line any of you can post that I can replicate on my unit for all around great sound please.

I am waiting for my D2 to arrive but as an audiophile I can tell you more information will be needed. What type of music do you typically listen to, are there amps in the car, what is the primary source (radio, CD, etc) and what type of vehicle?

These are some basic questions to get you started. I would suggest taking your favorite CD and start from there. Set the EQ so that sounds good and go from there. Hope that helped

I mainly listen to rock/metel, every now and then country.

cd's and IPOD

2004 Ford F250 crew cab

Boston Z6 upfront

Boston Pro60 in rear

(2) Boston G110 subs

JL 500/5 amp

Z1 headunit.

Thanks for the help. I know it is a hard question to answer because it is all personall pref, but I am looking for a good starting point. so many frequency/wide/narrow options has my head spinning. I know nothing about the frequency so I guess I am looking for a quick fix if it exists?

I found through trial and error that;

1) All music material is not created equal. Generally, real instruments sound better than synthesized ones. And, all recordings are not necessarily good ones.

2) CD's are always going to sound better than compressed formats.

3) Acoustics and resonances in your vehicle will play havoc with your music.

Case in point:

I had the same problem with some CD's that I have but in testing I found that my JL Audio Xr650-Csi's were resonating heavily at between 140 Hz and 120 Hz. I found this by doing a 200-20 Hz sweep. I actually had to set my HPF to 125 Hz on those and my Sub at 80 Hz to smooth out that peak. Once I did that I have a smoother response and frequencies in that range do not "double up" any more. Now it's cleaner and more defined in that range.

Your vehicle will differ depending on the size of the doors, whether you used sound deadening, speaker enclosures, etc.

Bottom line! Experiment and adjust until you get it right.