AVIC411.com

Avic z110BT overheating I think.

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

All of the speakers have been swapped out and the unit was installed professionally, I did free up some space in the back and that seemed to help alot. Would this problem have anything to do with the unit being (bypassed) so that you can watch videos and use the nav while the parking break is engaged?

Thanks for all the help

Mine was done by a professional instal shop in Fairbanks and if I was still there they would be happy to redo it. I did pull the unit out and I have plenty of space behind the unit or what I would call plenty of space. I might pull it again this weekend and recheck it and just see if I can redirect anything, but since I was having this problem before I left Alaska I dont think anything I do is really going to change much. I wonder if my buddy that bought the Kenwood is having this problem?

For the money I have invested in this stereo and for the poor answers I get from Pioneer I can tell you this will be the last thing that I or any of my family members will ever buy from them and if I can redirect any of my friends or my Soldiers away from them I will steer them to Kenwood or another brand. I think when you spend the kind of money that we spend on these units (not including the speakers, amps, etc) you should get some type of service when you call or email with questions. I know I just spent the same amount on a washer and if I have a problem with it a man will come to my house and fix it for the first 2 yrs free of charge. So where is the service with Pioneer?

Okay enough of my bi@^&ing and I am sorry to vent, but happy to see it is not just me that is having this problem with the z110BT cause other than this problem the unit is an awesome unit, but it only takes my 10 minutes to get to work and no tunes really sucks in the morning and really sucks going home after one of those days

Greg

I have posted i video on you tube of the problem, This is a issue i can not get rid of i have tried everything from providing more space in the back of the unit and i have checked all of the connections and i have sent it back to pioneer. PLEASE HELP, much appreciated.

Do you have steering wheel controls?

It's weird that it's bouncing back and forth from ATT...<--- I would have figured that it would stay on, if it were the Avic overheating....

Does yours eventually work right when it cools down in the cab?

Maybe it's the Steering wheel control module that's borking up when hot?

I don't have any steering wheel controls and if i run the a/c for a couple of minutes it will work like normal i drilled a couple of holes in the back of the duct for the a/c that goes up to the windshield to defog or de ice it and that seemed to help when cooling it down, it went from 10 minute wait time to 2 minutes, so it got better and i gave it more space in the back of the unit so it has plenty of room to breath.

• 2 months later...

Hi all - I know this thread is a few months old, but wanted to post here because I was experiencing these exact same symptoms this past weekend and happened to come across this thread after searching.

I have the Z120bt and installed it myself in my 2003 GMC Envoy about 2 months ago. Everything has been working perfectly fine, until last Friday night when all of a sudden, the MUTE / ATT indicator icon in the top right corner began going on and off randomly and muting the sound. This is the same thing that was happening to STLBIGA (confirmed by watching his YouTube video link above). It continued like this for 20 minutes or so, until I stopped to get gas and turned the car off. When I turned the car back on, it was working normally again. Then after another 30 minutes or so of driving, as soon as I plugged my iPhone in to the iPod connector, it immediately started to flash ATT again, on and off until it eventually just stayed stuck on mute.

I can only think of two things that could be causing this:

(a.) overheating - which could be a possibility given the other examples in this thread and also because the car heater had been blowing for while. This was the first time I've used heat in the car since installing the Z120bt.

(b.) Generic iPod cable - since I've only faced this problem twice, and both times it happened while using the iPod, I've become suspect that maybe this could have something to do with it. I've read the warnings and sticky notes on this forum about using the generic cables and wonder if this could be the cause. (I also noticed in STLBIGA's video that he was using the iPod interface when he was filming the issue.)

Just wanted to share my story here so you guys know it's happening to more people out there.

• 2 weeks later...

This issue happened to me again. It definitely has to be related to heat. It worked fine for about an hour, but then started the MUTE / ATT on/off. The car heater had been on, and I think it's causing the unit to overheat. The problem is there is not much room in the dash behind the unit, so I am wondering if the wires are blocking the fan or vents. Plus the heater vents are right behind the dash by the AVIC. Unfortunately I'll have to take the dash apart to look at it.. maybe this weekend.

Has anyone else had this issue during the winter time when the car heat is on?

Chitownboss- This problem only happens to me in the summer time. As for the heater in your car making it do that is weird, when mine does this the car has to be very hott the dash especially.

-The ipod cable has got nothing to do with it, the only thing i can think of is the amp that powers the speakers is heating up and then causes it to go into protect.

-I just got off the phone with pioneer and they said they would send me a knew one (they called me after a bad review) and hours on the phone with them previously.

-the only option you have is to call them and get another one.THIS IS NO WALK IN THE PARK GETTING THEM TO EXCHANGE YOURS FOR A KNEW ONE