AVIC411.com

920bt missing most functions

Before I begin, I would like to say I attempted the bypass and ended up breaking the pin, so I currently do not have a mute wire and my parking break wire is not attached.

Firstly, can I assume that most functions are blocked out because of this? I cannot enter an address in the GPS nor can I adjust the time for example.

Secondly, before I purchase another harness, is there anyone on the board I can buy a pre-hacked harness from instead of ruining another harness and slicing my finger again?

I am glad I found this site, I'm sure I'll be bombarding the board with questions until the unit is running fine. Hopefully I'll be answering questions for people after that! Thanks in advance guys!

Jacob

Before I begin, I would like to say I attempted the bypass and ended up breaking the pin, so I currently do not have a mute wire and my parking break wire is not attached.

Firstly, can I assume that most functions are blocked out because of this? I cannot enter an address in the GPS nor can I adjust the time for example.

the answer is yes, it's locked out because the parking brake wire is not connected.

with the broken bypass pin your best answer is to either ground the parking brake line and ignore the errors, or attach the parking break line to the parking brake as designated in the manual, and use it the way they want, at least then you can adjust the settings when the parking brake is engaged.

You can also go to a hobby shop and buy a male end (genrally used in the harness of servo)and just repair the wire. Someone at the hobby shop may even fix it for you as they do a lot of repairs with these small wires. I repaired mine that and it works like a charm. It would be a lot less expensive too!

• 4 weeks later...

adefeatedman, what did you end up doing with the wire?

I seem to have done the same thing as you during my install. My bypass worked at first and then it all of a sudden stopped working. I've been told that my wire is likely damaged.

I would like to repair or replace the wire but I don't know the best way around it. I was thinking about cutting the pin off of the mute wire with an inch or so of wire and then soldering that to another section of wire and grounding that out (basically patching the wire). But if it's the pin itself that is damaged, that won't work.

I like the hobby shop fix, but I don't know if they will actually have the male end in stock and I can't find that out unless I bring the actual wire and pin in.

What is the best way to solve this? I'm going nuts not having full functionality and most of all, the annoying errors on startup!

You guys!! I bought a hack kit off of some guy on ebay.ca His web site is http://www.x-pert-s.com/servlet/StoreFront The kit came with a nice wire with a factory pin connected already, plus a switch to turn the hack off if you want to. I didn't use the switch but the pin and wire were awesome easy. All I did was leave the old pin everyone else cuts out alone and insert the new pin/wire that came with the kit in the correct place on the harness.

I think you need a special set of pliers to crimp the pin to the wire if you were to try to buy the parts yourself from an electronics store. The pliers are $20 - $40. The pin and wire are <$1 I think I paid $20 for the kit with detailed instructions. IMO it was worth it instead of cutting my hand open or ruining a harness. I'm clumsy. :oops: