AVIC411.com

Serious setback for X920 - Z120?

This report certainly makes the Pioneer X920 / Z120 out to be a far-lesser unit than the Kenwood. I wonder how many items have been corrected since this link was published - or, how many may be in the future. Can some AVIC owners chime in here . . .

http://www.kenwoodforums.com/viewtopic.php?f=23&t=897

granted, it did come from a "Kenwood" forum, however, if true, it makes the difference between the manufacturers' products quite expansive to say the least

Did you just come here to stir things up?

Considering the post is less then 2 months old, I can't think Pioneer has jumped all over making usability complaints the top corporate priority, some of the bugs are actually a PITA but old.

Did you happen to notice the poster and what their user name was? did that look a bit familiar? :wink:

These are known issues, and as far as I can see, nothing that hasn't been mentioned here in discussion, there isn't anything there that was never said over here.

Sounds like you just want to cause trouble to me.

Did you just come here to stir things up?

Considering the post is less then 2 months old, I can't think Pioneer has jumped all over making usability complaints the top corporate priority, some of the bugs are actually a PITA but old.

Did you happen to notice the poster and what their user name was? did that look a bit familiar? :wink:

These are known issues, and as far as I can see, nothing that hasn't been mentioned here in discussion, there isn't anything there that was never said over here.

Sounds like you just want to cause trouble to me.

quite the contrary - I have narrowed my search for a unit down to two units, the X920 and a competing Kenwood. I was just about to purchase the Pioneer (lots of sales at the moment) when I came across that entry on the Kenwood forum. The way it was written certainly seemed to be favoring the Kenwood - I was hoping some Pioneer owners would jump in here and defute any parts that may have been "over the top", so to speak. I met the Pioneer rep in a shop a few days ago, hence my leaning toward the X920. The main point is, what on that list is truly a "deal breaker", and what isn't. :)

For example:

-no power on/off button - seems stupid, but can it be rectified with a switch in the glove box, or a firmware update?

-plot several points with VR? Neither can the 6960 - no big deal here

-only 100 POI's? How many speed cameras do you intend to pass?

-no wireless remote? yawn

-no 5.1? in my CAR? double yawn

-lack of dual-USB? snoozing still

see, all of those are pointless to me - I want see what is pointless to other owners, and what they like

The issue is that they're not really comparable units, the X920BT has been going out the door with rebates, discounts, and deals, for an average of about $500 lately, and that's when I jumped in for one, the Kenwood is no where near that cheap.

Unfortunately for me, the killer may be poor Bluetooth quality on call, I use the unit every night on my commute home to take care of talking to people, and since I went to it just under 3 weeks ago I get constant complaints.

Do I think the Kenwood is a better unit? unsure, it probably is, but the poster of that thread is our own VBLUE42, and he's been pretty up front here about the pros and cons, you just need to dig in to some more of the threads here.

You may want to use the Z series threads since there's more in common as far as the OS with the Z120 then the older F-series upgraded X units.

The issue is that they're not really comparable units, the X920BT has been going out the door with rebates, discounts, and deals, for an average of about $500 lately, and that's when I jumped in for one, the Kenwood is no where near that cheap.

Unfortunately for me, the killer may be poor Bluetooth quality on call, I use the unit every night on my commute home to take care of talking to people, and since I went to it just under 3 weeks ago I get constant complaints.

Do I think the Kenwood is a better unit? unsure, it probably is, but the poster of that thread is our own VBLUE42, and he's been pretty up front here about the pros and cons, you just need to dig in to some more of the threads here.

You may want to use the Z series threads since there's more in common as far as the OS with the Z120 then the older F-series upgraded X units.

Hehe - I've been reading till my eyes hurt. The Bluetooth and FM RDS were the two things that worried me also. Have you tried switching microphones? Actually, the price-point IS what's making the Pioneer attractive. At even prices, the Kenwood is a superior unit. For $400 less, I can bank that, wait a year, and put it towards Google's Android Car System (it's a dream I have).

Do you think the skimpy RDS implementation can be improved via firmware? RDS and Bluetooth -those are really the two things that make the Kenwood seem better to me, and they aren't even on the list, so to speak. Any Android phone can give me maps to challenge the Garmin, so that's not as important.

Hehe - I've been reading till my eyes hurt. The Bluetooth and FM RDS were the two things that worried me also. Have you tried switching microphones? Actually, the price-point IS what's making the Pioneer attractive. At even prices, the Kenwood is a superior unit. For $400 less, I can bank that, wait a year, and put it towards Google's Android Car System (it's a dream I have).

Do you think the skimpy RDS implementation can be improved via firmware? RDS and Bluetooth -those are really the two things that make the Kenwood seem better to me, and they aren't even on the list, so to speak. Any Android phone can give me maps to challenge the Garmin, so that's not as important.

Don't count on RDS, the F-series didn't have it at all, the X920 just barely supports it from what I see, it lists 2 taglines on the stations I listen to, that's all.

Bluetooth is SUPPOSEDLY one of the key items for firmware updates to improve, but I have no interest in waiting to see IF they can get it right, BT needs to work right NOW.. not later, I use it that much.

Keep in mind that I had an F700BT for almost 2 years in the same car, in the same location, with the mic in the same spot, and I only got occasional complaints about BT quality, since I had the X920 installed people routinely complain and tell me to call them back later, that's a far bigger issue for me then the mediocre navigation. The F700/900 series was never regarded as having spectacular BT quality either, but I could at least use it, the X920 has only gotten worse in the past few weeks.

You guys complaining about the bluetooth sound quality when talking on your phone.....Have you ever consideredf that it was the install or the location of the microphone? I installed my X920BT a couple weeks ago and every person I have asked while using my bluetooth says it sounds aboslutely perfect!!! Infact my wife says it sounds much better than my OEM hand free bluetooth in my 2007 Acura TL-S. Granted I have the X920BT installed in my 2000 Lexus ES300 which rides incredibly quiet inside so maybe that has something to do with it but I am VERY happy with the X920BT's bluetooth handfree...and apparently so is everyone else that I talk to :-)

James

You guys complaining about the bluetooth sound quality when talking on your phone.....Have you ever considered that it was the install or the location of the microphone?

Did you notice that I mentioned the install and mic are in the same position that I've had an F700BT in for the past year+ with far fewer complaints? Same phone, same mic location, even tried multiple mics, and the complaints are consistent SINCE I got the x920 that the F700 setup was far easier to understand.

So yes, I'll say I can rule out location AND install in this case.

@cpkdude

The comparison between the Pioneer and the Kenwood units was made because of several request I received from several members from Kenwood forums. I was requested because I have extensive experience with both units. If you feel some of the points I highlighted are not important to you then what I was trying to accomplish is done. The point is for you to decide what is important to you in a unit. My job was to compare the features between the two and that includes everything. Not just what you like. Regardless, the main complaints that many have made on this forum about the 110/120/920 that I highlight in that thread have not been addressed by Pioneer and there is no indication that they will be anytime soon. Particularly with the short comings in the navi portion of the Pioneer units. And in case you are wondering that thread has been a deciding factor for many people in deciding which unit they bought. Which includes decisions for the Pioneer units and the Kenwood.

I had the z110 and now the dnx7160.

I really miss the speed of the pioneer, but that's about it. The kenwood is very laggy.

Laggy how-so? So I take it the Bluetooth quality (aka what people hear who call you) is better on the Kenwood?

The interface on the Kenwood's is a bit laggy when changing menus. It certainly should have been better.

-plot several points with VR? Neither can the 6960 - no big deal here.

This comparison was made between two flagship units at that time. It has nothing to do with the 6960.

-only 100 POI's? How many speed cameras do you intend to pass?

This is important if you are traveling in an unfamiliar area. In fact most people don't need a camera database for their local area.

-no wireless remote? yawn.

This is one of the biggest complaints for many that have bought these units and it is a deal breaker for many.

-no 5.1? in my CAR? double yawn.

Again, this is a comparison between flagship units.

-lack of dual-USB? snoozing still

Another complaint about the flagship Pioneers.

While all those things are interesting, I still don't think they are as important as badly imlemented Bluetooth or FM. It appears both companies have addressed the iPod interfaces well. As far as the GPS goes, Garmin's hard to beat.

What Pioneer seems to offer is a very inexpensive unit in comparison to Kenwood. As technology changes quickly, the Pioneer may be a good stop-gap unit for me.

What I'm learning here from others helps me to learn about myself. In the beginning, the iPod interface was my main concern. However, as "owners" add comments, I am also becoming concerned about other factors I hadn't considered. I value owners comments, since "reviewers" don't usually get stuck with a unit they don't like. The Pioneer is still my leading candidate, primarily because I am having a hard time justifying the cost of the Kenwood line (to get VR in a Kenwood, it would cost nearly $1000 more). I've noted, seen and read your various videos and entries in various places, as you know. Keep up the good work, as lots of people with limited resources can gain from them.