AVIC411.com

Bluetooth Static z120bt

Anyone else have terrible bluetooth quality with the z120bt? It is perfectly clear on my end but anyone I call says there is a ton of static which make the bluetooth not usable which is the main feature I use. I am considering returning the unit if I cannot find a fix to this terrible bluetooth quality. I have moved the mic everywhere and paired with multiple phones and nothing works.

Great unit but the bluetooth makes this a complete dealbreaker for me.

I have been playing around with moving the mic all over the place and it is better getting it off the rearview mirror but I still here some interference or something everynow and again. I ran the bluetooth wire up the A Pillar and it is right next to the GPS antenna, could that cause interference with the bluetooth mic?

Also, my voice sounds muffled and I an not sure why. Any ideas?

I am having a similar issue. My mic is running up the passenger side pillar, across the top of the windshield and it pops out a few inches past my EZ-Pass. When I am on the phone, I am told it sounds like a lot of wind along with some whining interference sounds. I'm not sure if the EZ-Pass is interfering with the bluetooth signal, or the mic is picking up noise from the EZ-Pass device.

I did, however, notice that if you turn the screen off (hold down the menu button for a few seconds) while you are on the phone, the interference noise is lowered. This tells me that the issue with the interference noise is affiliated with the HU and not the bluetooth phone being used. I believe the wind noise is due to the phone but I haven't tried many phones to prove it. All I have is my BB 9630 Tour.

What I'll do is remove my EZ-Pass completely from the car and see what that does.

I'll post mys findings then.

I am having a similar issue. My mic is running up the passenger side pillar, across the top of the windshield and it pops out a few inches past my EZ-Pass. When I am on the phone, I am told it sounds like a lot of wind along with some whining interference sounds. I'm not sure if the EZ-Pass is interfering with the bluetooth signal, or the mic is picking up noise from the EZ-Pass device.

I did, however, notice that if you turn the screen off (hold down the menu button for a few seconds) while you are on the phone, the interference noise is lowered. This tells me that the issue with the interference noise is affiliated with the HU and not the bluetooth phone being used. I believe the wind noise is due to the phone but I haven't tried many phones to prove it. All I have is my BB 9630 Tour.

What I'll do is remove my EZ-Pass completely from the car and see what that does.

I'll post mys findings then.

Read all the mic / BT discussions... It seems there is little you can do (top left is "best" according to Pioneer). New mics may help - but don't fix it...

I have to tell you that I just tried the suggestion about turning off the screen and it completly fixes my background noise issue. If I make a call, hold down the menu button and turn the screen off all of the background noise goes away regardless of where I place the mic.

I wonder if there is a way to permanently fix this now because I would hate to have to turn the screen off every time I make or receive a call.

Mic location doesn't really matter much... at least in my case it doesn't matter. I've tried 5 or 6 different locations in my 2009 VW GTI and there was no notable difference.

I have an iPhone 4 with iOS 4.1, and the Bluetooth use on my AVIC-Z120 is shit. It pisses me off, beyond belief that I dropped $1,000+ on a HU and can't use the Bluetooth.

I've read that Apple's implementation of the Bluetooth protocol is piss-poor, so I paired my friends HTC (Android) and placed a test call. While I wasn't on the receiving end of the call, my caller said there was a marked improvement over my iPhone, but still not perfect.

I believe, but have no proof, that the microphone itself is a large part of the problem. My installer (authorized Pioneer dealer) tells me he heard Pioneer is "looking" into the complaints.

Sincerely,

Frustrated, non-Bluetooth usin' AVIC owner

I think there is plenty of documentation on the mic quality. YOu can get a different one (Garmin), you can move the mic, but the BT mic quality is very poor in comparison to Kenwood etc.

Personally, I wish I knew this going in. BT music streaming is great. But if you use BT mic in your car, this probably is a poor choice - and likely the reason Voice recognition isn't great (it makes sense that they are linked).

For straight audio, it's a great product

I oculdnt agree more. I wish I would have known the quality of the bluetooth was this bad prior to buying the unit. I would have definitely gone Kenwood over Pioneer. I cant believe they can sell a product with such poor quality bluetooth in this day and age.

In my opinion, anyone who uses bluetooth and is looking for a new head unit I would highly recommend not buying a Pioneer.

• 4 weeks later...

I just bought the Z120BT and installed into an 05 Ford F150. I use an iPhone 3GS.

As this is my first unit I had high hopes, but only fell short on interference with buzzing noise on the callers end and serious echo (even with echo control on).

I've found that mic placement solved the echo issue and the actual placement of the phone in relation to the stereo seriously minimized the buzzing (although I'm unsure why)

Examples:

Phone location:

Between my legs - perfect call condition

In my cupholder (where I normally put it) - medium buzzing

On top of the console (above the head unit) - heavy buzzing

In the back seat - heavy buzzing

Give it a try and see if you have the same.

Regards

Brett