AVIC411.com

I know this has been beat to death in these forums but i'm a little confused. I know you cant burn MP3's to the Z1's HDD, but if I took my mp3's converted them to the WMA format and burned them to a CD or DVD as WMA files (Prolly fit the same amout as an MP3 CD) can that cd then be played back and recorded to the Z1's drive. The reason i'm asing all of this is because this thread:

http://avic411.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=3343

makes me think this is possible.

I know this has been beat to death in these forums but i'm a little confused. I know you cant burn MP3's to the Z1's HDD, but if I took my mp3's converted them to the WMA format and burned them to a CD or DVD as WMA files (Prolly fit the same amout as an MP3 CD) can that cd then be played back and recorded to the Z1's drive. The reason i'm asing all of this is because this thread:

http://avic411.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=3343

makes me think this is possible.

Why would you convert it to .wma first? Just burn it as a music CD and your computer should auto-convert to .cda format.

I don't think a Z1 will play a WMA file. They can be open, but that's generally windows (Microsoft's) DRM format for playing only on a single machine. With MP3 being the older and more universal format without any DRM, I could see the Z1 not supporting it. Nothing I have seen says it will play them. I never tried, but I would bet it wouldn't even list those files when you stick the disk in.

And if you want the songs ON the internal HDD, then they only way to import them is from CD Audio.... no matter what format they were originally in.

ok...I can definitively tell you how this works.

Yes...the Z1 plays WMA files just fine. It also rips them to the hard drive just fine. I used Nero and it also copied the ID3 tags so the songs show up on the play list. All were burned to a CD...I didn't try a DVD. So if you want your downloaded songs on your hard drive, use WMA files. It worked for me.

Now, I have to admit...I didn't look at the cd after it had been burned. It is possible Nero converted them to a CDA file. But all I did was take my songs (WMA) I bought from Walmart and burned them to a CD using Nero. They played in the Z1, and ripped to the hard drive...all with tags.

If you burned WMA files to an "Audio CD" then Nero converted them to Audio CD format which the Z1 can read and will import. If you burned them to a "Data CD" then it left them as WMA files which I believe that the Z1 can't play (but I haven't tested this). I thought that the Z1 only played MP3's on data disks. If it imported them to the internal library, then they were Audio CD's, the Z1 will not import music files off a data CD.

and will not play mp3's off of dvd as informed by pioneer.

Yah, I always thought that sucked. It can play MP3's off a Data CD. We know it reads DVD movies (which are just movie files off a Data DVD). Why did they keep it from reading MP3 files (which we know it can read) off a DVD Data disk (which we know it can read)?

I never understood that. I guess it made sense to the programmers at the time. :roll: