AVIC411.com

"Floating" character on Map view of AVIC-Z1?

Hello everyone. I tried doing a search but couldn't find my issue listed in the forums so I thought I'd ask. I just got a Z1 installed in my car over the weekend, and when the vehicle is at a complete stop the system seems to think I'm still traveling. My little GPS pointer keeps moving (albeit somewhat slowly), then when I start moving again the pointer snaps right back to where it needs to be. Is this normal behavior?

Thanks for the reply - I had a feeling that there was probably some break-in period. Actually, after having it for only 2 days it seems to be a little bit less "floaty" than before.

As far as the GPS antenna is concerned, the installer placed it in the center front of the dash, all the way to the front. Is that a good spot?

Hard to have a break in a line of sight for a GPS antenna; GPS is a lot different than XM or sirius. With 30 satellites, it is almost impossible to be in a clear area and not lock onto at least 6 sats. Some car manufacturers install the GPS antenna under the plastic dash panel toward the center (Hummers for example). That is exactly where I installed mine, and I receive a constant 6-7 sats, unless in a canyon situation or around a downtown district with sky scrapers.

Any idea how long this break-in period should be? I've had the unit for 6 days now and the GPS still thinks I'm moving when I'm completely stopped. This totally messes up the navigation system when trying to do a route because it will think I'm going down a wrong road then will start to re-calculate.

This could be completely off the mark, but could the vss wire be hooked up to a tachometer sensor by mistake? I'm trying to figure out myself which wire to connect the vss lead to in my 2000 Pathfinder (if any one knows....) and I seem to remember there being a wire that senses engine speed on the electrical diagram. I don't know how similar/different the signals are, but if the Z1 were getting a signal from this wire, wouldn't it think that the vehicle was moving even though it was idling (since the engine isn't stopped)?

I guess if that is the case, then you could try stopping the engine and see if the drift stops. If it does, then that's likely the problem.

Just my .02

I like Action's idea. Check the speed sense wire. I think it's in

MENU - SETTINGS - HARDWARE - CONNECTION STATUS.

Look at the speed setting (on the top line) while you are not moving. Is it 0? Is it something other than 0?

If its larger than 0 and you are stopped then it's not connected to the VSS wire in your vehicle... possibly the tach, but it could be anything.

If it's 0 while you are not moving, then try driving around a bit, does it go up and down with speed? Is it always 0?

If it looks like it's right then the only other thing causing issues with movement is the GPS antenna thinking it's somewhere else due to poor signal strength. Try moving the antenna to the roof and see if that helps.

action and ducatiboy, thanks for your suggestions.

When the ignition is off, the key is in Accessory, and the car is in park, the speed pulse in Connection Status and the speed listed in 3D Calibration Status is 0.

When I turn the ignition on but still stay in park, the Speed Pulse in Connection Status is going back and forth between 8 and 9. The speed listed under 3D Calibration Status is 21mph.

What should I have the installer check for in this case? I also had the installer do the bypass (which seems to be working correctly). Could that be causing an issue?

When I turn the ignition on but still stay in park, the Speed Pulse in Connection Status is going back and forth between 8 and 9. The speed listed under 3D Calibration Status is 21mph.

It sounds like either your vss wire is incorrectly hooked up, you have a faulty Z1, or your vehicle's speed sensor is sending out some wierdo signal (I'd bet on #1) :? . If it is, in fact, connected to the tach, try revving your engine (while in park) and see if the value goes up. Also you could try ducatiboy's suggestion of checking it while you are driving. If it doesn't change then maybe it's connected to some other wire (that sends a pulse). I don't know what it should read since I don't have mine hooked up yet. :(

I think the bottom line is that you should tell your installer to double check his wiring diagram to make sure he connected it to the right place.

This could be completely off the mark, but could the vss wire be hooked up to a tachometer sensor by mistake? I'm trying to figure out myself which wire to connect the vss lead to in my 2000 Pathfinder (if any one knows....) and I seem to remember there being a wire that senses engine speed on the electrical diagram. I don't know how similar/different the signals are, but if the Z1 were getting a signal from this wire, wouldn't it think that the vehicle was moving even though it was idling (since the engine isn't stopped)?

I guess if that is the case, then you could try stopping the engine and see if the drift stops. If it does, then that's likely the problem.

Just my .02

To answer your question vss for a 2000 pathfinder is the same as an 02

http://avic411.com/forum/viewtopic.php? ... merry+xmas

second page my first post on that page.

merry xmas

action, I did actually drive the car around the block while I checked those speeds. The speeds did increase and decrease along with my driving, but always had a minimum speed when I was parked or stopped.

I'll complain to my installer about this and have him check the VSS wiring. Thanks again everyone.