AVIC411.com

Does anyone here regret thier Z1 or wish they went diff unit

The only thing I am not satisfied with is the slow map update releases. I use a different gps devise in my truck. They come out with map updates for it every 6 months. I have purchased the last two updates for it for $99 each. The map data that came on it was newer than the map data that came on the avic. I would not recomend buying an avic if you are planning on having the latest maps. I feel that once you make the purchase they do not feel that they need to suport you anymore. I just turned someone away from an S1 because of it. I have owned my avic since the week they were released and there has still not been a single map update.

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I'm finding more and more errors with mine too. More often than not, it does not take me to the address I type in. It's almost always at least 1/8 mile off. I made a trip to Knoxville last night, and the Z1 was HORRIBLE. I had me driving in circles and made me late for a date. It turns out they redid like 5 freeway on/off ramps over 2 years ago, and the Z1 maps did not reflect this. It's inexcusable to have maps this out of date on a $2000 navi unit.

My $60 USB laptop GPS is worlds better as far as map acuracy. I'm thinking of picking up one of the Kenwood 7100s for my mom's van. If it's better, I might dump the Z1 and go with the Kenwood in my car.

My buddy just got the eclipse (6610 or whatever its called.) The bluetooth sucks compared to my D3, he couldn't use the camera he already had installed in the car, he had to hook up his VSS wire that his Pioneer didn't need, and the ipod display is worse than a D3 and Z1. Guess you might want it for sound reasons, but I am not sure I would give up everything else for it

I was going to go with a z2 but now i am considering the Kenwood DNX7100 because it uses Garmin for navigation, reads mp3\wma on DVD, has USB 2.0 connectivity, control and playback of VIDEO ipod, plays divx files too! No it does not have a hard drive but with a 60gb video ipod, i dont need one. screw that ripping to a 10gig partition from cd baloney.

http://www.crutchfield.com/S-baL4fdVaGD ... Navigation

now i am torn between the two but the kenwood seems to have more/better features to me. i havent played with the gui, but if it is decent i dont think i will go with a pioneer.

• 4 weeks later...

Nice Kenwood, If I was still in the market, I would seriously consider it. My Z1 is not perfect, but i still love it. The time it takes to load a CD is no problem for me either, it will record them faster than they are playing so you don't have to wait for the whole CD to play. Some of my "non-store" library burns the names anyway. My steering wheel adaptor and blutooth work fine,..my only "real" complaint is the micrphone,...it just sucks out loud, no matter where I place it. Yeah the maps suck a bit, BUT, mine is in learning mode and recognizes how I drive rather quickly, plus destination history is mostly how I use the maps. I have other Garmin products and in the major cities where lots of construction is going on, you will find any maps are a bit useless. My feeling is this for ANY mapping,..if I have to rely so heavily on a machine to show me where to go, I shouldn't be driving, besides, you'll crash into something anyway.

Thanks to Ducatiboy and others here, we all seem to have "quality" problems, wouldn't you all agree? Now go enjoy whatever it is that you have installed in your car,.....step up to the plate and make a decision as to what you need,....heck,...make a pro and con list if you can't decide on your own,.....no 1 machine will do all for everyone,....isn't there a saying about pleasing most of the people most of the time?,..... :lol: