AVIC411.com

Pioneer's AVIC technology not up to date

This is my first post guys and what go me to register is to discuss this topic and see what your thoughts on it are.

I Have been looking at an Avic receiver for years now, I started looking when the Z2 was announced and everyone was still raving over the Z1. I am basically looking for a computer in the dash but I know besides the G4 and the likes that its a long way off...BUT WHY? I am willing forgo a full out computer double din car receiver for something way more realistic. I simply can't understand why an cellphone like the iphone 3 which was released in 2007, not even the new 4 or any android smartphone is more technologically powerful and advanced than the new announced and industry leading $1500.00 Avic Z130BT. Sure the Avic is a great receiver as well but why can't I surf the net, check my emails, play my downloaded movies with ease, store all kind of media on it, run tons of apps/programs... a $500.00 laptop is nothing to laugh at these days, I just picked one up in the $500 range with an LED 720P HD screen, 4 gigs plus of ram, dual core, 320GB hard drive, 512mb graphics card. Ridiculous for what i need to do unless I play videogames or run serious applications.

So...What's up with the Avic/car receivers being so...handicapped for the lack of a better word?

The main reason? They're automotive grade components.

Try leaving that laptop in your car for a year or two and see if it still works (correctly) after the temperature extremes, humidity, vibration, etc, etc.

Second Reason? No manufacturer is going to build the equivalent of a Car PC with access to the OS/web/movies/etc for liability reasons. People don't pay enough attention while driving as-is, let alone if they had a full featured computer in their dash.

Try leaving that laptop in your car for a year or two and see if it still works (correctly) after the temperature extremes, humidity, vibration, etc, etc.

Second Reason? No manufacturer is going to build the equivalent of a Car PC with access to the OS/web/movies/etc for liability reasons. People don't pay enough attention while driving as-is, let alone if they had a full featured computer in their dash.

Those are some very good points Jason and I was thinking about something similar as i was writing my post. To somewhat counter your argument, using my previous example of smartphones and their current practically mini computer capabilities. They are meant to handle a certain amount of abuse as well with people carrying them around in all kinds of conditions while dropping them and often abusing them.

I am foreseeing car receivers like the Avic move towards achieving smartphone like capabilities but just at a slower pace due to all the hurdles associated with making a product that can survive in an automotive environment as you were saying.

As for distractions associated with such a would be device, the same type of restrictions as seen on current machines would probably be applied to it limiting its use while driving.

I supposed I am longing for something more equivalent with other mobile technologies on the market today.

Oh, It's very possible, don't get me wrong I would like to see it happen as well. Especially a navigation system built around the android platform; forget huge POI files, just use the web.

There were some Android powered navigation systems at CES that did just that, however they were only in the concept stage.

Oh, It's very possible, don't get me wrong I would like to see it happen as well. Especially a navigation system built around the android platform; forget huge POI files, just use the web.

There were some Android powered navigation systems at CES that did just that, however they were only in the concept stage.

That would be something awesome Jason!

I am currently seriously looking to purchase an Avic Z110/120BT receiver and seeing the new Avic Z130BT arrive makes me wounder if Pioneer will come out with a totally new Avic model next year in keeping with the three denominations like the Avic Z1/Z2/Z3.

Maybe Pioneer will come out with an Avic Z140BT before reinventing the Avic series. What is your take on that. Should I strike now or prolong my wait.

That would be something awesome Jason!

I am currently seriously looking to purchase an Avic Z110/120BT receiver and seeing the new Avic Z130BT arrive makes me wounder if Pioneer will come out with a totally new Avic model next year in keeping with the three denominations like the Avic Z1/Z2/Z3.

Maybe Pioneer will come out with an Avic Z140BT before reinventing the Avic series. What is your take on that. Should I strike now or prolong my wait.

I honestly don't know. Pioneer normally makes announcements twice a year, once at CES and once at their private road show. We won't hear anything new until at least their road show in the summer.

The problem with that type of navigation is cellular coverage. There's plenty of places with spotty or non-existant coverage. Last year, I was on the Taconic Parkway in NY, there was a detour due to an ice storm, and off the highway I had no signal so I couldn't use nav on my phone (this was before I got my AVIC).

And the fact is, that is exactly the type of situation that nav is at its most useful.

Good points. If not for the need of a DVD player, the entire unit could be solid-state, no moving parts at all, which would make it much easier/cheaper to build these units. I know you don't actually need a dvd player, but it's still the standard for most people, so you don't have to deal with ripping stuff to you iPod/iPhone/etc.

But I don't think we're too far from some pure solid state devices (which also means they will no longer need to be 6" deep either). We'll have some really small great devices.

• 2 weeks later...

Have none of you heard of a carputer? Seriously, this is old news. Clarion tried developing this idea about 15 years ago, however, they couldn't get the technology to work consistently.

You can piece one together now. However, the results have not been very positive.

Try googling "carputer"

Have none of you heard of a carputer? Seriously, this is old news. Clarion tried developing this idea about 15 years ago, however, they couldn't get the technology to work consistently.

You can piece one together now. However, the results have not been very positive.

Try googling "carputer"

Oh, you mean like this?

Damn, that's not a carp. And it needs an Equalizer, too much bass.:rolleyes: