AVIC411.com

New iPod cable model for Z130

I was on pioneer's web site and noticed that the Z130 has a new model number listed for it's iPod cable. It lists the CD-IU51V where as the Z120, X920, and X930 all still list the old cable model CD-IU50V. Does anyone know why? The only thing I could figure is that maybe it has something to do with App Mode which, of course, Z130 supports but the other 3 models do not. I find that unlikely since the Z120 and X920 both controlled Pandora just fine with the old cable, but it's all I could come up with.

So my questions are:

1. What does this new cable do that the old one does not?

2. Will the new cable be compatible with Z120's that are upgraded to Z130's? (theoretically it will since there don't appear to be any hardware changes)

Thanks in advance.

ADMIN EDIT:

The CD-IU51V cable actually has some changes in order to be compatible with iPads.

Apple required us to make the necessary changes to be able to handle the higher voltage which is required by the iPad in order to receive Apple made for iPod certification on our new 2011 models.

The CD-IU50V will be compatible with the 2011 models (minus iPad charging). However, the CD-IU51V will not be backwards compatible with our 2010 and older models.

Edited by JasonH
Official Statement

It's definitely different hardware guys... There may be software update for the maps, etc on the Z120 but I don't know if the Z130 software will just directly port over... at least not without some modifications.

The Z130 has a new Traffic receiving radio and has HD Radio built in.

This information is based off of the following url:

http://www.pioneerelectronics.com/PUSA/Car/GPS-Navigation/AVIC-Z130BT

Hope this helps,

LK

Hey VBLUE42,

Good find. It does seem the traffic radio is indeed separate. Only thing I can find that backs this up is in the Operations Manual, the traffic tuner specs lists power source ratings. If it were built in, there'd be no need for these values. I don't see the Installation Manual for the Z130 yet, but that'd be the final source since it would detail plugging in the Traffic Radio, etc..

Still the Z130 has built in HD Radio tuner, so the hardware does differ. Not saying it's not possible to use the new Traffic tuner on a Z110/Z120, or that it's not possible to use the Z130 software on Z110/Z120 hardware. Just may take more to get it going than simply copying it over and booting.

LK

I seriously doubt that the hd radio is built in either. The specs are essentially the same between the two units (120/130). So it doesn't seem at all cost effective from pioneers standpoint to rework the hardware to incorporate the hd radio when they already have the add-on module they can just throw in the box. It's not like they have any face to save in terms of people complaining about having extra modules when the traffic tuner is going to be separate in the box anyway.

I sent a mail regarding the Z110/120/130 update

and i got a answer that we will get mapupdate but there is several HW changes and a new canbus.

So many of the new features will not be supported on 110/120 :(

i was hoping to get a DAB module for the radio but that wont come to 110/120 :(