AVIC411.com

Z2 Announced

Actually MSRP was $2500, MAP was $2250. The Z2 MSRP is $2200, so MAP will be lower. Just like every consumer electronics brand, MSRP is inflated over what it will really sell for at authorized dealers

When I pre-ordered this around January 06 price listed everywhere was as high as $2250. Some places did have it lower. They might have had it listed higher in 05, I didn't see it then, but when I saw this in Jan (didn't get it till March ish) it was $2250. I never saw it over $2250 even listed at Pioneerelectronics.com. Maybe some review sites had it listed higher than that or maybe Pioneer told other people (non publicly) to sell it for more, but no one ever listed it for more than $2250... At least not in 06. I'm not a pioneer dealer, just a consumer and just remember what I was pining over for months :)

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

wait a minute, i bought mine in November 2006 and i only got mine for 1400.00, i didn't know it was that high......

It used to be. Yah, some of us even pre-ordered it for that price :( But as whtcrxghst said, everything keeps getting cheaper. Just the law of the land. I remember paying $3000 for my 286 PC. No one would pay that anymore :)

What is to stop us from copying over the HDD from a Z2 to a Z1. Then all the updates would be free! or so to speak. 1 major advantage to the D3

Unless the hardware is slightly different and they compiled the software with a check to make sure we didn't do this. Of course if they put out a Z1 to Z2 update, I'm sure that can be proliferated :)

What do you guys think about the Z2 software update and its effect on our BYPASS?

*If you already have the post june unit with the bypass.

I would guess, and none of us know for sure till it happens (if ever) but since all the D series Avic's use the same bypass as the post july Z1's... and the pre-july Z1's were "upgraded" to use the same bypass, I would guess that Pioneer wants their units using this "new" Z bypass and the standard D bypass so I would guess that anyone with a 2 wire ground would keep it and it would keep working. Every Pioneer nav system has a bypass. I would guess they would keep that going.

LET's SUM THIS UP GUYS!

to all who have been following this thread, isn't it pretty clear (so far) that the new Z2 won't be that much different than the Z1???

If you were to be buying your first Nav unit (ME!) it seems as though the Z1 is the way to go. I know you guys were throwing around the MSRP at like $2,200 for the Z1, but lets be realistic, they are $1,500 to $1,600 bucks now. I would bet that when the Z2 is first released it will be selling for more than that. In time, obviously the price will drop, but it will still cost more for the next few months. So even if their software upgrade (that we are hoping they release) costs $250, the Z1 would still be cheaper. But, we will all be hearing some new stuff once CES ends in a few days, so i could be wrong....

MP3's on a DVD are NOT a hardware change. The Z1 can play DVD movies which is just reading files off a data DVD. So we know it can read files off a data DVD. But with the Z1 when you put in a data DVD it looks for the Video_ts folder and plays a movie. It's software to look for that or the MP3 files. It's just reading data off a medium. So it would be a software update.

As for what the Z2 will really do, the features sound minimal compared to the Z1. It sounds like (from what has been announced) that it's mostly a software update and rebranded with a 2 instead of a 1.

The D3 also has a random function, which the Z series still doesn't have.

You mean functions just show up when ever and you don't know what they will be? Or when you put in a destination you can select random and it will route you to some random location... if you want to go exploring? Or do you mean it has a shuffle songs when you are playing? Because as far as I know there is a shuffle or random feature while playing CD's, Library Songs, and Ipod (maybe more, but just the ones I used).

So until we hear the cost on the new Z2, the Z1 is the way to go.... I'm sure if all of us put our heads together (like we are doing right now) we can configure the Z1 to have most of the new software features of the Z2.

So, who wants to sell me a new Z1 with warranty??? lol!

I'll buy today!