AVIC411.com

Installing Android OS 2.3 or 3.0 on an F700BT

From what I've heard you can install Android on damn near anything, and I figure if they could get Windows CE on it, I bet we can put Android OS 3.0 honeycomb on it, then change the bluetooth stack and use google maps and install ALLLLL the apps you want including the Torque app so I can display my ODB2 output on my avic from my bluetooth odb2. I'm excited about this and know a bit about unix, anyone know where to begin?

From what I've heard you can install Android on damn near anything, and I figure if they could get Windows CE on it, I bet we can put Android OS 3.0 honeycomb on it, then change the bluetooth stack and use google maps and install ALLLLL the apps you want including the Torque app so I can display my ODB2 output on my avic from my bluetooth odb2. I'm excited about this and know a bit about unix, anyone know where to begin?

If you are really good at writing device drivers for proprietary, undocumented hardware in ARM code, you could certainly try...

If you are really good at writing device drivers for proprietary, undocumented hardware in ARM code, you could certainly try...

Yup! Just like any OS, the lowest level that you have to master before any application is the hardware layer and its related drivers. The only thing that is known from the AVIC at this time is its ARM CPU at this time. :rolleyes:

Well that sucks, they wont divulge anything more?

Even if you open the AVIC and look at the PCB and register audio chip, GPS dice, modem etc, you still need drivers for Android. Even if you got drivers, you still have to know what memory space has been reserved by the ARM CPU, if there is no automatic hardware detection built in the drivers.

So I would say this: forget it! :mrgreen:

Even if you open the AVIC and look at the PCB and register audio chip, GPS dice, modem etc, you still need drivers for Android. Even if you got drivers, you still have to know what memory space has been reserved by the ARM CPU, if there is no automatic hardware detection built in the drivers.

So I would say this: forget it! :mrgreen:

Im highly tempted to agree with you. Here's another Idea, buy a tablet PC and install it in my car where the pioneer was. Then figure out how to run the 3.5mm jack into the amplifier. Then I have wifi to tether from my phone and bluetooth for all my peripherals.

Im highly tempted to agree with you. Here's another Idea, buy a tablet PC and install it in my car where the pioneer was. Then figure out how to run the 3.5mm jack into the amplifier. Then I have wifi to tether from my phone and bluetooth for all my peripherals.

Great find man! You're going to be able to run Microsoft Street and Trip, or Google maps! :blink:

• 5 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

If anyone has one they wish to donate I wouldn't mind devoting the time to do this. Specifically looking at enumerating the devices and creating Honeycomb specific drivers, as far as the apps not sure if I would go that far at this point. Like to have 3.0 or 3.1 ported but am curious to see if it would be in vain until 4.0 came out.

I was thinking about updating BT to allow a BT interface for network connection sharing of smartphones if supported; maybe caching google maps as they are downloaded and referencing them locally BUT can see issues with it if it doesnt have a network connection for live traffic in the such.

The touchscreen would be a bit tricky but unfortunately I am actively using mine in my 4Runner so if anyone has one that is bricked or just sitting around collecting dust and would like to donate (I'd pay for shipping) please let me know.

• 3 weeks later...

Ah I see and could understand that! :)

Right now I am working on a few concepts and hopefully can produce something fruitful. This would need a custom UI and I think that some expectations may not be realistic.

The device is an Arm1136JF - 600 ~ 650Mhz (if overclocked you may squeeze 700Mhz) with 256MB RAM, 2GB Flash disk and of course various components that would be nice if you could programmatically produce compatible driver interfaces.

So far I am leaning towards the bootloader and system partition being on the Flash disk and the User Data on an SD Card which MUST stay in. Trying to balance this as a personal curiosity project between work and the family but the hardware "seems" sound enough to run albeit slowly.

I thought I saw a unit at Best Buy in Tampa behind the counter for like $150 and was tempted to get it.

Ah I see and could understand that! :)

Right now I am working on a few concepts and hopefully can produce something fruitful. This would need a custom UI and I think that some expectations may not be realistic.

The device is an Arm1136JF - 600 ~ 650Mhz (if overclocked you may squeeze 700Mhz) with 256MB RAM, 2GB Flash disk and of course various components that would be nice if you could programmatically produce compatible driver interfaces.

So far I am leaning towards the bootloader and system partition being on the Flash disk and the User Data on an SD Card which MUST stay in. Trying to balance this as a personal curiosity project between work and the family but the hardware "seems" sound enough to run albeit slowly.

I thought I saw a unit at Best Buy in Tampa behind the counter for like $150 and was tempted to get it.

I would be willing to make a donation and am sure others would, if you could show some sort of progress of a working port on the Avic!